What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well it's not a film I would have seen at the cinema however good it was. I didn't even see the original Conan the Barbarian at the cinema.

I did see Ridley Scott's Legend at the cinema though [blushes], Tom Cruise was no Conan believe me, he could barely lift this huge sword up. Tim Curry as Darkness was the best thing about that film (and Jerry Goldsmith's gorgeous music score).

Yep the screenshot was from Bond #14 A View to a Kill and that's Dolph Lundgren in the foreground pointing a gun at his then girlfriend Grace Jones. Woot! :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to decide if Cowboys & Aliens is worth seeing at the cinema, it hasn't even made it to $100m so far. Has no one recommended it?
A buddy of mine kind of dragged me to the cinema to see Cowboys & Aliens a few weekends ago. It was kind of *meh* Started out well enough and I liked the cast, but there were simply too many under-developed story elements and the aliens were fairly incompetent in some ways which detracted from the experience. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford were both fine and Olivia Wilde was okay within the confines of her character. If the film makers had streamlined the narrative and not tried to cram everything but the kitchen sink into the film and then spent the proper time developing fewer story elements it would have been a much better film. I can't really recommend it; but it isn't just awful either. A sideways thumb from me.
- Walter.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, I never made it out today. My buddy from Vegas was down and had never even heard of, you guessed it, Sucker Punch so we enjoyed some down time, ales in hand watching this. He really enjoyed it.

Now, for some good news. There are now 5, that's right, 5 Gentle Giant 18" Baby Doll statues on ebay. All $800+ and none are selling. Patience and the prices will fall. With them just starting to ship that means even more will begin to show up on ebay. Soon, very soon, she will grace my Home Theater.

c656088b_sdcc-gentle-giant-zack-snyders-sucker-punch-3_480x640.jpeg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Your wife doesn't mind you collecting dolls Ron? You're a lucky man. I can't imagine what my Sandra's reaction will be if I was bidding for an 18" Baby Doll on ebay. She thinks I'm a big baby watching films with robots and spaceships in them, imagine if I collected movie toys too?

Walter, well I think I'll be skipping Cowboys and Extraterrestrials. It'll be on disc by xmas.

Conan and Fright Night both fizzled in their opening weekend, few moviegoers seemed to be interested in them. Fright Night grossed $8m in 3 days and Conan $10m. No.1 movie was The Help.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
She'd much rather me collect dolls than swords. She hated my Lord of the Ring swords. These Sucker Punch statues, not as much but still not 100% happy with my collection, that really, hasn't even started yet. None of the 18" statues are available yet other than Baby and she's just too expensive but I figure the longer those sit on ebay, and the more that get added as people receive their shipments the more the prices will fall. After all, the other girls are going for $270'ish.

Watched Limitless the other night and really enjoyed it. I am not a fan, at all, of that lead guy (from the Hangover films) but he did ok in this, rather good actually. Very worth the rent.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I didn't get out to the movies this weekend because I've been sick for a week. Darn! I hope I'll be able to get to "Another Earth" before it leaves.
Watched some of my backlog of TV shows while I was sick. Also, reading "The Four Stages of Cruelty", which is a pretty gritty novel about a female prison guard. Brings up images of "Oz".

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What's happening to New York? First an earthquake shook the city now a hurricane heading towards it?! How's Mike coping it's like starring in an Irwin Allen movie or should that now be Roland Emmerich movie? Mike, any tornados spotted yet? :)

Not much happening here, the rioters and looters are being punished, their flats smashed in by angry cops the yobs dragged out by the hair kicking and screaming, some have had their benefits slashed, others kicked out of their council homes and hundreds are being deported back to their country of origin. Good. Tough action is needed. Next time use rubber bullets like our Americano friends.

We saw Scream 4, it was okay but nothing special. A return to the old slasher flicks of the past before vampires and zombies took over.

I've been busy writing articles on all the Bond films over at Hubpages, I'm up to http://stevelensman.hubpages.com/hub/Licence-to-Kill-1989-Illustrated-Reference

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw Another Earth yesterday. Quite an interesting story, and lead Brit Marling is very good, though it's hard to like her character because of her deception. The ending. . .well. Initially, I felt it was just one of those things you throw in to make the audience end with a "what?!?!" and wanting more. People are interpreting it in a myriad of ways, and I feel it is ambiguous although the filmmakers supposedly said that everything you need to know is there. It opens up a can of worms of questions, in my opinion.
I saw One Day today. I liked it for the performances, but I think some people will find it a long, slow haul. It feels like a story I could imagine Nicholas Sparks writing (though I've never read him and have seen a film or two based on his work). If you've seen any movies at all, you know where the story is heading. I found the characters likeable so was a bit surprised at my somewhat unemotional response to the story. I think it has to do with my view of life. :P

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I take it Baby Doll's home. Ron? :)

Elizabeth, I peeked at the spoilers at IMDB for Another Earth, curious to see how it ended. The film is very similar to classic 60's sci-fi Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. A planet similar to Earth is discovered in the same orbit but on the other side of the sun. In the film an astronaut (Roy Thinnes) is sent to investigate the mysterious planet but finds he has crash landed back on Earth, or did he?

1626d42a_JourneytotheFarSideoftheSun156.jpeg

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
She is nearly Steve. Should be here Thursday, or Friday at the latest. All but one of my LotR swords are gone, I even sold off Anduril, the sword of King Elessar. All those paid for Baby. Glamdring, the sword of Gangalf is the one that hangs in my entry way and is just too damn cool to part with so it stays.

I have Sweet Pea, Amber and Rocket on pre-order, all arriving over the next 5 months (if there are no delays). Blondie has not been announced yet but talking with Gentle Giant she is in the development stage. I want the complete set of all 5 girls and I just acquired the most expensive and most difficult girl...so excited.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Steve Christou said:
I take it Baby Doll's home. Ron? :)

Elizabeth, I peeked at the spoilers at IMDB for Another Earth, curious to see how it ended. The film is very similar to classic 60's sci-fi Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. A planet similar to Earth is discovered in the same orbit but on the other side of the sun. In the film an astronaut (Roy Thinnes) is sent to investigate the mysterious planet but finds he has crash landed back on Earth, or did he?
I'm not familiar with that movie, but I'm sure the other planet aspect is very central to the film. "Another Earth" actually plays more like a normal drama about guilt/grief for much of the film. But I have the same trouble tackling this subject as I do with time travel films -- it totally warps my mind about action/consequence/change.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Another Earth also reminds me of this Space:1999 episode...Another Time, Another Place.
1691c517_spatapsfx002.jpeg

Hey guys, the Star Wars threads are ripe for you! Why so quiet? All the leaked stuff. I wonder how much of it is real. And if it is real, oh well. But it is fun to read. hehe

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Space 1999, I really enjoyed that show. In fact, anyone remember "Dinky's?" I have one of these...

e3ed7c8a_Retaille20de20Eagle20Dinky20Toys20058.jpeg

This was from back in the day when the toy companies made cool toys, the toys that would actually shoot projectiles and such.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I used to watch Space 1999 back in the 70's, I have all the episodes on disc. It might be time to revisit the series. I've watched a few episodes of classic Star Trek on DVD, I like the new effects they've added but I wish they had also included the original untouched versions on the DVDs. I'll have to hang on to my old VHS tapes now.

I haven't been following the Star Wars thread, all the nitpicking in that area has worn me down. Good or bad I can't imagine not having Star Wars on Blu-ray. I'll be getting the whole lot, which costs about £67 here in the UK.

The last Blu-rays bought were the Hannibal Lecter films - Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Red Dragon. Excellent quality.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My last Bluray was a triple feature of The Big Dollhouse, The Big Bird Cage and Women In Chains. Not sure if I beat Steve or not, I haven't had a chance to watch them to check the quality... :P

I hear you on the Star Wars threads. People have to get over it and accept that the trilogy they grew up with is dead and gone. I still don't mind the revised ones, I can't wait for the set to come out.

Star Wars Blurays, a new DC comics universe and an epic new vid game to sink my teeth into, the winter might be bearable this year!

PS: I got that criterion The Killing blu. Now all I need is a blu of Fear And Desire and my Kubrick Bluray collection will be complete! Beautiful transfer on both the main feature and Killers Kiss, another outstanding job. The Killing still holds up as a masterful crime film though it made me sad. There's a scene where a guy is making excuses and Sterling Hayden is looking at him like he's dog shit. He's not pulling a face, or doing anything particular, but his whole being vibes "I'm going to knock the shit out of you, maybe even kill you and enjoy doing it". No actor these days can carry that weight so effortlessly, forget about the pretty boy Leboufs of the current era.

Sad indeed.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Sterling Hayden was Spielberg's first choice to play Quint in Jaws before the role went to Robert Shaw. Now of course we can't imagine anyone but Shaw in that role but I'm sure Hayden would have been just as mad and grumpier too. :)

Stanley Kubrick must be your favourite director than Russ? Even if you don't particularly like his sci-fi masterpiece..."a cure for insomnia" I think you described it last time. :)

Alfredo Hitchcocko is my favourite director, I have 37 of his films in my collection, dating from 1927 to 1976.

0b2ed3f0_TomorrowNeverDies002.jpeg

523201ee_TomorrowNeverDies003.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Kubrick is one of my fave directors. It's easy to get all his films, he didn't make many. :P And that was my second to last description of 2001 Steve. My last viewing I fell in love with it. It all clicked, really enjoyed it.

Only took 10 years and 6 or so viewings.

I love Hitch too. I got three or so boxsets of his that is nearly complete. A Warner Signature dvd set, the Masterpiece velvet box., a "Films Of Alfred" box with Suspicion and that in it. an early films set... and a bunch I stole of the internet to round them out ;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Steve why dont you get Star Trek TOS on Blu?
It has the new effects, and the old. Also has the original mono sound and the new DTS sound.
The Blu of Trek TOS is amazing!
As a matter of fact i have quite a few classic TV shows on Blu-ray. The Prisoner, Space:1999, The Twilight Zone, and Star Trek are all on Blu, and never looked better.
I will buy the 9 disc Star Wars set. But not at the almost $90 Amazon has it at. I smell step discounts once it gets closer to the 16th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.