1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Sure seemed as though the Minotaur was having sex, and it was fully erect. But yes, I agree, ratings don't work and the MPAA is a joke.

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Bought 4 more blu-rays yesterday - Rango, Legend of the Guardians, Shaun of the Dead and... wait for it... Sucker Punch, yep couldn't resist after seeing the colorful artwork on the shelves. I might like it more now that I've spent money on it.

[​IMG]

Currently watching a Hong Kong epic, Red Cliff, which looks great on blu-ray. Lots of HD subtitles to read too...

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Didn't care much for Red Cliff myself, found it quite boring.

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Sucker Punch eh? Is it the DC? Be sure to let me know what the movies about, I just don't get it but it's fun to watch haha

I'm slowly going through some Buster Keaton finally. Never did watch his stuff. First film down was The Saphead which was a remake of a Douglas Fairbanks movie and not much of a Keaton one. Still pretty good. The bonus shorts were great though! It's disc one of the Art Of Buster Keaton boxset from years back. Hooray! Hooray? Huh? Hmmmmm....

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Oh, I loved Red Cliff. Ron-P are going to indian leg wrestle one of these days, then go for bacon-beef burgers as best friends. Our lives will play out like a manga :P

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Love Buster Keaton, any sign of time travellers in the background Russ? I still remember that video. :)

It has the extended cut. I'm going to watch Sucker Punch with the video commentary on, Zack Snyder leaping in and out of the movie explaining everything, I hope.

I'm surprised you gave it a go Ron.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
  8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Haha I might go for that if the price drops down to a fiver. You know people sneer at that version but it was responsible for thousands of people watching a movie they would ordinarily go out of their way never to see!

So in other words if they rescore Lang's Metropolis with new songs from the likes of say Kylie Minogue even Ron might sit down and watch it.

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Ha ha. that version was my introduction to the film. I remember not knowing what the hell was going on in it, but liking watching it. Just like Sucker Punch! Lang was ahead of his time!

(The complete Metropolis though really is brilliant and the story makes complete sense. I highly recommend it! )

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'd like to actually see Metro-opolis. It does look kinda good. But yeah, I'll wait for the remake with Guy Pierce and Katie Holmes. What? You guys didn't read about it?

Well, I am in full Gentle Giant Sucker Punch statue collecting. Most all my Lord of the Rings swords and other memorbilia is on eaby and going quick. I have the 18" (YEAH, that's right 18") statues of Amber, Rocket and Sweet Pea on pre-order. Blonde has yet to be announced, but Gentle Giant says their doing her. The tough one will be Baby, she just shipped and there is one on ebay for $900, OUCH!

Well, it's off to work. Only a 4 day work week though and then a 9 day vacation...wooohooooooo!!!

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    So wait Ron you're selling all your wonderful Lord of the Rings memorabilia and replacing it with figurines of the girls from Sucker Punch? [bites fist] Whoa can we be any more different? :)

Russ I still haven't bought the complete Metropolis on blu-ray, the price refuses to come down. I have seen this version of course, good stuff.

12. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    A yaoi manga.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

14. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Count me in for a Blu of the 80s Metropolis!
    I rented the NEW restored cut. It is much easier to tell what the hell is going on now. I would buy the Blu, if i could find it cheap...under $15.
    I have Sucker Punch sitting here to watch from NetFlix. I will let you know...
    Hey Steve, the pre-order is up on Amazon (US) for the Blu of Destroy All Monsters. Out in October.

15. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
  16. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Yep, I'm a bit bored of the LotR stuff. I am keeping two of my favorite swords though; Glamdring and Anduril. Those are my two favorites I will never depart with. I need to change things out every now and again, heck in a couple years I may sell off (shrieks in horror) my wonderful Sucker Punch girls for another theme. Who knows.

Besides the Sucker Punch girls are much sexier, and well, a bit more wife approved. She's not a big fan of swords laying around, of course, it's taken awhile to get used to the Sucker Punch theme in the theater though.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well, all but my two LotR favorites are gone and I've put about $600 into my Paypal account, but DAMN!!!! If I cannot find a Baby Doll statue from Gentle Giant for under $1k on ebay. She is just outrageously expensive while all the other girls are going for $250'ish.

I joined Gentle Giants "Premier Guild" in hopes that this gives me an inny for pre-ordering the Japanese Variant Baby Doll coming in October. If not, hopefully by then the ebay marked will be flooded with Baby's and the prices will drop.

On par for tonight....Priest! Looking forward to it, looks action packed and I love the Vamps! Also, Netflix just dropped off Fast Times at Ridgemont High in my mail box. Sadly the Blu is just getting hammered, pretty crappy PQ I guess and that's why I don't own one of the best comedies we've seen in the past 3 decades.

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Christopher I am SHOCKED! No living on the moon for you! I'z gonna blowz it upz!

I thought Priest was okay other then the gross cum-cavern part. Blech. Why would they do that?

Erm... that's about it... Things are slooooow on the Bluray front for me. I was excited to get Conan on blu but apparently it's all botched. Only other disc I have on the radar is the Criterion for The Killing. Hope it arrives this week.

[​IMG]

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Russ, I don't remember a "gross cum-cavern" scene in Priest. Was I not concentrating? I might buy it on blu when it's down to a fiver.

The only movie figurine I have here is Gollum, which was included in one of the LOTR DVD box sets. And quite a heavy thing it is too, if anyone broke into the house and I wacked them with Gollum they won't be getting up again.

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Good film, enjoyed it, great FX, Andy Serkis stole the show as usual. But I didn't really feel any connection between this film and the original Ape films. In fact it reminded me a lot of a forgotten film made in the 80's, Project X, starring Matthew Broderick. Tim Burton's much hated remake was closer to the spirit of those films than this effort. At least it used famous actors in ape masks, which is a huge part of the fun of these films, but I did like the photo-real CG ape effects. 3 out of 5.

[​IMG]

20. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    For some reason, when i try to go to page 2 of the "Most Recent" posts, it just reloads page 1. Good thing i have this thread saved, cause i cant seem to do ANYTHING on the forum...right now.
    What did you think of Sucker Punch, Steve?
    I rented it last weekend. 1 to 5 stars, i gave it 1. It was depressing, and i could see the ending from a mile away. Also, am i the only one who is getting tired of movies being TEAL! Green and blue, that is all i see in new movies. I get it, its moody! Jeez.
    Its OK Ron, we just like different movies. My favorite film of all time "Blade Runner", was a bit of a flop when it came out too.
    But my favorite movie came out in 82. The same year as Star Trek II, Tron, The Thing, and some kid flick called ET. So, something had to be a flop.