What's new

Terrytoons cartoons (2 Viewers)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It's so odd, because I grew up watching these cartoons, and the Little Rascals (Our Gang), and Amos 'n' Andy -- and I even saw "Song of the South" (gasp!). And I didn't grow up to be a racist. Really, I didn't!

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Sad that Heckle & Jeckle have been completely overlooked in the digital era. They were the best!
I'd of course like to see other Terry Toons released also, but H&J's absence is particularly egregious.
A complete shorts collection would indeed be quite ideal, chum.

The Heckle and Jeckle Cartoon Show has the unique distinction of being Saturday morning's very first network cartoon show (in 1956).
- https://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Other_Studios/C/CBS_Productions/The_Heckle_And_Jeckle_Cartoon_Show/

Paul Terry considered the Heckle & Jeckle series of cartoons the best his studio ever made. There's little doubt that Heckle and Jeckle are two of the most beloved and well received characters to have come out of the studio, with their names being some of the biggest in classic animation.
- https://terrytoons.fandom.com/wiki/Heckle_and_Jeckle

"We're cartoon characters; we can do anything we think of."
- Jeckle, in The Power Of Thought 1949 (IMDb lists as December 31st, 1948)

HandJ Lion Hunt 8mm.jpg

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
I do realize/recognize the best likelihood for a Terrytoons release would be via the continued popularity of Mighty Mouse.
Mighty Mouse & Friends probably be a good place to start. (Will Mighty Mouse come to save the day?.. Stay 'tooned). : )

Anyhow, I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to slap some some cartoons on a DVD and place for sale. Although most other major, vintage cartoons are pretty well represented on home video along with many minors... Why can't CBS at the very least throw together a cheapo Heckle & Jeckle (or other Terrytoons) collection with cartoons as-is, see if it sells; then maybe look to possible restoration or larger project?

It's really a shame Paul Terry's cartoons and legacy didn't end up with someone who cares.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Either a big CGI cartoon feature of the characters has to be produced, preferably by the same studio, so that a shorts collection can be a marketing tie-in (and that's still a big 'if'... note that with all the blockbuster superhero films out there in the last decade, there's been no apparent interest or effort by CBS/Paramount to release a collection of the Ralph Bakshi/Terrytoons series of MIGHTY HEROES cartoons, let alone Mighty Mouse), or else a separate company (like Shout) has to specifically license it.

One would think that someone at Paramount would have a flash of insight and consider doing Mighty Mouse as an animated feature. I think it would be a hit if they got the right people on it.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Does anyone here remember Tom Terrific ? Extremely limited animation , but very clever and well written . It ran on the Captain Kangaroo show in serialized form . I don't believe it ever showed anywhere else. I hope the Stu's Show /Jerry Beck deal is for the Terrytoons catalog, much of which I'd like to see again. I'd guess that the complete series of Tom Terrific serials could fit on 2or 3 discs.

I loved Tom Terrific when I was a kid. I don't remember any specific plots, but I remember his companion, Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog. And TT's two arch-nemeses: Crabby Appleton ("rotten to the core") and Isotope Feeny ("You're a meany!").

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
I thought Tom Terrific (1957) was heavily influenced by the UPA style of animation but a quick web search reveals it's more than just a similarity - that the show's creator, Gene Dietch, had previously been artistic director at UPA studio. It would seem this type of limited animation helped pave the way for Hanna-Barbera (founded in 1957), often credited with saving the cartoon industry.

Soundac Studio's Colonel Bleep, created and written by by Robert D. Buchanan, also quickly comes to mind. Premiered in 1957 it was the first cartoon made directly for television and was produced in color!

Sadly, most of the show's original material was stolen in the early 1970s.

colbleep-2.jpg

Is that a young Fred Flintstone?? Actually it's Scratch and the boy is Squeak.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Olive Films would be the ones to release these because of their with Paramount I ask Olive numerous times a year! Years ago A VP at Fox told me they would love to get these back and release them.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
That's cool! You're actually doing something about it. Thanks for your efforts.

Sometimes it takes an outside company to see value in a film or program - let's hope Olive could realize and make that happen.
They did a stellar job on their 4-volume Betty Boop.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The trouble here is that Olive seems to be on life support these days. They put out a release in their Signature line every six months or so, and that's about it.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
You're right, not hearing much from them these days. I thought for a moment earlier, weren't they out of business? but it was Twilight Time not Olive Films that was closing and then changed hands..

BTW, I'm seeing other information that Crusader Rabbit was the first animation done specifically for television in the early 50's - although they were only 5 minute cartoons, maybe that explains the discrepancy. It was certainly around several years prior.

Anyone with info on Colonel Bleep: The Complete Surviving Series Vols. 1 & 2 from Mental Brain Media?
They're charging double the Alpha release price for each volume. Hope the color's not as washed out as the front cover pics might suggest.
I still own a Vol. 1 VHS but it's been a LONG time since last viewing.

Fans of classic animation may be interested in the latest from Thunderbean:
Thunderbean Presents On Hold: Cool Things from Unfinished Projects - it's kinda a preview of coming attractions, projects they're currently working on.

"Thunderbean presents "On Hold" a collection of cool films from yet-unfinished projects! We thought we'd share these early, since things are quite delayed because of the various shutdowns. The good news is that all of these projects will see the light of day in complete form at some point, but for now, here's a few sneak peaks."

Thunderbean Presents On Hold: Cool Things from Unfinished Projects,
includes, most notably for me:
a CBS cartoon xD from 1964-65 called Linus The Lion
a 20 cartoon set of PD Betty Boop
"Jolly Fish (1932) The Van Beuren Tom and Jerry set is moving right along, and we’re doing as we did with the Cubby Bear set: looking for the best prints we can find and the original titles. This one is one of the ones we haven’t found original titles on as of yet, but we’re looking hard!"

Tom & Jerry getting the Cubby Bear Blu Ray treatment - that's great news!

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten

Heckle and Jeckle (1956–1960, 1965–1966; revived on NBC from 1969–1971)​

"Originally a series of animated movie shorts from Terrytoons, Heckle and Jeckle were two extremely talkative magpies, never able to make up their minds without worrying about the consequences. They needn't have worried: No matter what they decided, it was always wrong.

The pair first appeared on television in the 1956 summer primetime series CBS Cartoon Theatre, hosted by Dick Van Dyke, which also included animated series Gandy Goose, Sourpuss, Dinky Duck, and Little Roquefort. The Heckle and Jeckle Show was one of the first animated series to be regularly featured on Saturday morning."

CBS heckle_and_jeckle (1).jpg
Photo Credit: Courtesy Everett Collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks