What's new

Terrytoons cartoons (1 Viewer)

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
One of the best Mighty Mouse cartoons is "Gypsy Life." There is a good print on YouTube.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JMFabianoRPL said:
Last time I saw Terrytoons on TV were on USA in the mid '90s.

Sony and Magoo? Are these the theatricals? And they're on DVD????
Not sure if you mean the original 30's 40's Terrytoons, or the 60's Deputy Dawg that Ralph Bakshi spend the rest of his career complaining about, but the old 30's Mighty Mouse/Heckle & Jeckle always...frightened me, in a way, when local stations were forced to show them when I was growing up. They're so unacquainted with the human concept of "humor", they seem to have come from Mars. :wacko:

As for Magoo, yes, the theatricals finally came out in a Shout boxset, with the Arabian Nights feature included:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Magoo-Theatrical-Collection-1949-1959/dp/B0062KMDWU
(If you want the complete Famous Adventures series, sorry, that's in the TV Collection, along with the crappy 60's series and the cheap 70's Saturday-morning series, but at least they include Uncle Sam Magoo.)
Presuming, of course, one actually does have enough money to buy George.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
JoeDoakes said:
I'd really like to see Deputy Dawg and Mighty Mouse on DVD. There was a report from a recent Stu's Show that Jerry Beck was claiming that there was a major licensing deal of untapped animation that would happen. He did not get any more specific, but the best guess here was that he was talking about Terrytoons. Let's hope so.
Any news on this ?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I just thought I'd re-activate this thread which is about 3 years old. Back when it started there was speculation involving someone named Jerry Beck which never transpired . I'm still interested in a Terrytoons release which i realize is becoming less likely with each passing year. Anyone have anything to add here?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I have a set of Terrytoons that I obtained via "Other Means". One of the cartoons on this set is the first show I saw on TV in my life! (It was part of a collection they ran on a Michigan TV Station in the early 1960s called "Cartoon Carnival" which ran before the morning News). I was but four years of age when I first saw it. I'm glad to have re-discovered it and the set keeps my Gerry Anderson Collection (Which has another sentimental favorite (Thunderbirds - My first SCI-Fi series I watched two years later) company. Oh, the joy of recreating my childhood! - even if I have to resort to nefarious methods to do so. :cheers:

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I have a set of Terrytoons that I obtained via "Other Means". One of the cartoons on this set is the first show I saw on TV in my life! (It was part of a collection they ran on a Michigan TV Station in the early 1960s called "Cartoon Carnival" which ran before the morning News). I was but four years of age when I first saw it. I'm glad to have re-discovered it and the set keeps my Gerry Anderson Collection (Which has another sentimental favorite (Thunderbirds - My first SCI-Fi series I watched two years later) company. Oh, the joy of recreating my childhood! - even if I have to resort to nefarious methods to do so. :cheers:
I recently obtained all 26 episodes of Tom Terrific by "other means" - from another collector. At the moment there are no other means of seeing these cartoons .

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since we are talking about nostalgia factor, I think of TerryToons not just on television, but also at the department store:

Kiddierama+Cartoon+Theater2.jpg

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Since we are talking about nostalgia factor, I think of TerryToons not just on television, but also at the department store:

I mentioned that earlier in the post actually. Late 70's at the WalMart in Caruthersville, MO. (it finally closed last year) they had one that I got to watch Heckle and Jeckle on.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Yes I spent my fair share of quarters in those things too, it was just good clean wholesome entertainment. Now every bit of that would be considered too extremely violent for the little children. Or it doesn't present a positive role model
And dear Lord let's not even get on the Baby Huey he's mentally deficient and we're making fun of him.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Regarding Tom Terrific , (obviously a favorite of mine) , there's a small but interesting book about the history of cartoon show . It's called "The Amazing Transformations Of Tom Terrific" by Kevin Scott Collier. 80 pages with a number of illustrations, a descriptive list of all episodes and a guide to TT memorabilia including all of the comic books . Available from Amazon for under $10.00
I just found out recently that Tom Terrific was based on a 1950s newspaper comic strip by Gene Deitch called The Real Great Adventures Of Terrible Thompson. Thompson looks a lot like Tom Terrific, and has similar adventures but he doesn't have a dog . Wouldn't you know it - the entire strip is available in a paperback from Amazon !
I still have my fingers crossed that some day Tom Terrific (along with the rest of the VERY NOSTALGIC Terrytoons cartoons ) will be released on DVD by a sympathetic company like Shout Factory .

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
If I'm running afoul here, I'll delete my post. I don't have any intention of making this a political post or leading in that direction.

I wonder if the reason we're not seeing Heckle and Jeckle is the same reason we don't see Amos and Andy or Song of the South? I googled the cartoon and there were quite demeaning articles how racist of a cartoon it was, etc.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I was going through my set today and discovered it has the Heckle and jeckle and Mighty Mouse cartoons intact :D

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Terrytoons is the best golden age studio that even the armchair experts don't know much about. Brilliant animation by Connie Rasinski, Jim Tyer, Bill Title and Carlo Vinci. Technical proficiency that was ahead of its time, particularly in the late 20s with the armies of mice cartoons. A wide variety of different styles. My non-profit organization has a fairly complete run of Terrytoons and there are a lot of real gems in there. More than enough to do several box sets.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
If I'm running afoul here, I'll delete my post. I don't have any intention of making this a political post or leading in that direction.

I wonder if the reason we're not seeing Heckle and Jeckle is the same reason we don't see Amos and Andy or Song of the South? I googled the cartoon and there were quite demeaning articles how racist of a cartoon it was, etc.
Good point .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Terrytoons is the best golden age studio that even the armchair experts don't know much about. Brilliant animation by Connie Rasinski, Jim Tyer, Bill Title and Carlo Vinci. Technical proficiency that was ahead of its time, particularly in the late 20s with the armies of mice cartoons. A wide variety of different styles. My non-profit organization has a fairly complete run of Terrytoons and there are a lot of real gems in there. More than enough to do several box sets.
I'd love to see even one box set . Cartoons like Gandy Goose are close to being lost .

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I was wondering why H&J were considered racist. Unlike the crows in "Dumbo," they weren't clearly supposed to be modeled on African-Americans. I think Heckle had a Brooklyn accent and Jeckle had a British one.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i would like to know what site that is, maybe they don't understand that a magpie is a bird, black in color, maybe they should actually watch one and realize that Foghorn Leghorn has a more southern draw, what joyless, soulless,individual doesn't see anything other that harmless humor in Paul Terry's creations. Bay the fact that the only thing is that the birds are black, Does that make Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids Racist?

Has some animation gone too far in the past, Yep you betcha, and now Warners wont finish Tom & Jerry. Any parent that buys this stuff and just sets their kids in front of the set without checking it out themselves first, only have themselves to blame.

Problem is that we have raise a nation, more or less of idiots..... hey jackasses, just because it animation doesnt mean its always for children, Fritz the Cat, Fire and Ice, Heavy Metal, all in the NO category of fine holsum family entertainment.

But if Parents, buy these and don't check then are outraged later, then its their own damn fault, flip the box over and read the rating or look for the warning label, because we have dumbed down society to that point that everything has to have a label for people to function. What the hell happened to critical thinking and independence.

Ok enough of the soapbox, i pray that i did not offend anyone, but for the love of god, i just love animation as an art form, true artist, i don't want the world to become just the next computer generated creation, but the actual art and the understanding of work and diligence and thousands of hand drawn cells that went into creating that wonderful 7- 8 minutes that can put a smile on someone's face.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks