What's new

Terrytoons cartoons (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm curious as to why none of the Terrytoons cartoons have ever been released on DVD. I remember a series of Deputy Dawg VHS tapes from about 20 or so years ago, but I can't recall Mighty Mouse, Heckle And Jeckyl, Tom Terrific ,etc ever being released. Last I heard, Paramout / Viacom owned these films . It might be nice if a company Like Shout factory released a box set of these cartoons . So many other cartoons are available , why not Terrytoons . Maybe some knowledgable folks on this site can answer this .

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Correct, the Terrytoons, though released to theaters through 20th Century-Fox, long ago became the property of Viacom, thus are now (and have been for quite some time) the property of CBS/Paramount.

Actually, three classic Mighty Mouse shorts were included as bonus material on the MIGHTY MOUSE: THE NEW ADVENTURES standard DVD release from a few years ago, but that's it, as far as Terrytoons go. If I remember correctly, the only reason they were included was because John Kricfalusi, Mike Kazaleh, and other cartooning talent involved with the 1980s show, who were interviewed and did commentary for bonus material, pushed for their inclusion... in the hopes that the exposure in that set might prompt subsequent dedicated releases of the classic material.

Why no other DVD releases? Long-standing apathy from the corporate owners. The same apathy that prevented us from seeing non-public domain Betty Boop cartoons on disc until Olive Films licensed them, George Pal Puppetoons (until some were licensed for that recent Blu-ray of B2MP's THE PUPPETOON MOVIE), and still no licensed Fleischer cartoons, outside of Betty Boop (and the Warner controlled Popeye and Superman shorts), that Paramount still controls. The same apathy that has long since kept them off the air in the U.S. --the last time I saw Terrytoons anywhere on U.S. television was when WTBS mixed them in with old Looney Tunes and Three Stooges 2-reel shorts, back in the mid-1980s.

Either a big CGI cartoon feature of the characters has to be produced, preferably by the same studio, so that a shorts collection can be a marketing tie-in (and that's still a big 'if'... note that with all the blockbuster superhero films out there in the last decade, there's been no apparent interest or effort by CBS/Paramount to release a collection of the Ralph Bakshi/Terrytoons series of MIGHTY HEROES cartoons, let alone Mighty Mouse), or else a separate company (like Shout) has to specifically license it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Dunno if Shout will be able to get its hands on these. I think they are with CBS (through Viacom) rather than Paramount, separate holdings and all that. Not to mention that I don't think CBS will go the same mile Sony did with the Magoo set in remastering the shorts.

Still hope we get 'em though.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Mostly Terrible Animation, Awful Music and Childish Humour, but guess what, Terrific Nostalgia Value.

Yes I too would certainly love to have Terrytoon Cartoons on DVD or Blu-ray. (but please, with the original titles intact)

mm1.jpg

Frame from a Technicolor 35mm Nitrate Print.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd really like to see Deputy Dawg and Mighty Mouse on DVD. There was a report from a recent Stu's Show that Jerry Beck was claiming that there was a major licensing deal of untapped animation that would happen. He did not get any more specific, but the best guess here was that he was talking about Terrytoons. Let's hope so.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Last time I saw Terrytoons on TV were on USA in the mid '90s.

Sony and Magoo? Are these the theatricals? And they're on DVD????

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I'm interested in the older Terrytoons, particularly the b&w ones that used to run on TV when I was a kid, e.g. "Robinson Crusoe's Broadcast" from 1938. And certainly the color Heckle & Jeckle and Mighty Mouse and Gandy Goose, et al from the 1940s.

I'm also interested in the b&w Walter Lantz cartoons. Some of them were on the Woody Woodpecker sets that came out a few years ago and I'm grateful for those, esp. "King Klunk," a 1933 parody of KING KONG with some surprising racial politics in it. But there was one I saw as a kid that had a turtle character and some cannibals and maybe Oswald Rabbitt and what happened when they all found themselves amidst live-action footage. I've never been able to identify that one and I only think it might have been Walter Lantz because of the Oswald Rabbit possibility.

Even more, I want the 1930s Columbia cartoons, esp. the Color Rhapsodies directed by Ub Iwerks. "Merry Mannequins" is an art deco masterpiece.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Vic Pardo said:
I'm also interested in the b&w Walter Lantz cartoons. Some of them were on the Woody Woodpecker sets that came out a few years ago and I'm grateful for those, esp. "King Klunk," a 1933 parody of KING KONG with some surprising racial politics in it. But there was one I saw as a kid that had a turtle character and some cannibals and maybe Oswald Rabbitt and what happened when they all found themselves amidst live-action footage. I've never been able to identify that one and I only think it might have been Walter Lantz because of the Oswald Rabbit possibility.
If you haven't done so, you should also check out this: http://www.amazon.com/Lantz-Studio-Treasures-Starring-Oswald/dp/B00CVV0D8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398286312&sr=8-1&keywords=walter+lantz.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Vic Pardo said:
I'm interested in the older Terrytoons, particularly the b&w ones that used to run on TV when I was a kid, e.g. "Robinson Crusoe's Broadcast" from 1938. And certainly the color Heckle & Jeckle and Mighty Mouse and Gandy Goose, et al from the 1940s.

Even more, I want the 1930s Columbia cartoons, esp. the Color Rhapsodies directed by Ub Iwerks. "Merry Mannequins" is an art deco masterpiece.
I remember Heckle and Jeckle when I was a kid being shown on local TV and then the local Walmart had a film booth outside with the games where you could watch Heckle and Jeckle cartoons. Wow, that's been a lot of years ago now!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Does anyone here remember Tom Terrific ? Extremely limited animation , but very clever and well written . It ran on the Captain Kangaroo show in serialized form . I don't believe it ever showed anywhere else. I hope the Stu's Show /Jerry Beck deal is for the Terrytoons catalog, much of which I'd like to see again. I'd guess that the complete series of Tom Terrific serials could fit on 2or 3 discs.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
My Terrytoons wishlist includes Mighty Mouse Playhouse, Tom Terrific, Deputy Dawg, Heckle and Jeckle,The Adventures of Lariat Sam and the Hector Heathcote Show.
It is unfortunate that, after so many years into the DVD era, these Terrytoons remain unreleased.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I always think the people making the decisions look at the Terrytoons and think they're not good enough to bother with. They're probably in their 30s and 40s and don't understand how incredibly nostalgic these are to baby boomers. I can just hear the background music and I'm suddenly 10 or 11 again, and it's Saturday morning.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Joe Lugoff said:
I always think the people making the decisions look at the Terrytoons and think they're not good enough to bother with. They're probably in their 30s and 40s and don't understand how incredibly nostalgic these are to baby boomers. I can just hear the background music and I'm suddenly 10 or 11 again, and it's Saturday morning.
If they can't see the value of MIGHTY MOUSE then they have failed Marketing 101. Doesn't CBS Consumer Products licence out MIGHTY MOUSE products?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
My Terrytoons wishlist includes Mighty Mouse Playhouse, Tom Terrific, Deputy Dawg, Heckle and Jeckle,The Adventures of Lariat Sam and the Hector Heathcote Show.
It is unfortunate that, after so many years into the DVD era, these Terrytoons remain unreleased.
I'd buy all of those in a flash.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Joe Lugoff said:
I also think part of the problem is that CBS got to witness the premature ends of the Disney, Looney Tunes, Popeye and Woody Woodpecker cartoon box sets. If THOSE couldn't sell on home video, what chance have the Terrytoons have?

Of course, CBS did nothing even when the DVD market was at its peak and the Disney and WB compilations actually were selling well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks