What's new

Swan Surrounds (1 Viewer)

Is there any reason why the Swan surrounds are 4-ohm instead of 8-ohm?

I have a Denon 3803; would there be any issues with the 8-ohm fronts (5.2), 8-ohm center (C3), and the 4-ohm surrounds (R3)of which to be aware?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
This is just speculation: Swan makes what they call "True" dipole surrounds meaning they just took two full speakers and connected them together in one box at a particular angle. My assumption would be that each speaker is 8ohm so they had a choice of making the final product 4ohm or 16ohm. As for it causing a problem, I doubt it will. I'd be more concerned if it were a front channel which received more information, but I doubt you'd run into a problem. You might e-mail or call the guys at the audio insider and ask them as I'm sure they've been asked before.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
SethH,

A dipole is a bit more complicated than what you make it to be. A dipole has either one woofer or one tweeter and one woofer out of phase, this way the sound is in phase after the first reflection, leading to a more diffuse and ambient rear surround field. What you're describing, 2 monopole speakers in one box, is called a bipole. Regardless, your description of why the R2 and R3 surrounds are 4ohm is still correct. I doubt there would be any problem running them on a 3803 and there is no reason not to mix impedances on speakers if the amps can handle it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
You might question whether you actually want dipole surrounds, if you haven't already. There are pros/cons either way, but you should definitely address the issue and settle on your preference as your soundstage will be notably effected by your decision.

I looked at Paradigm ADP-170's, ADP-370's; Klipsch RS-25's, RS-35's, and BIC HT-63's and they are all 8-ohm.

I'm going to give AudioInsider a call and I'll let you know what I find out.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I have the R3's running on an H/K AVR630 and I have had no trouble. In fact, when I was in the process of purchasing my setup, Jon Lane over at TheAudioInsider.com mentioned that he had many customers using the Denon receivers and having great luck.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks