What's new

SVS Ultras. One or Two? Maybe even B-4+ (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hey again. Looks like the wife is gonna let us spend our tax refund (whoo hoo). So hopefully I will get my Sony XBR800 36" and a Sub. Just so you know, let me run down my quick equipment list.

Just recieved within the last two weeks:

Anthem AVM-20 (soon to be upgraded)
Aragon 2007
nOrh CD-1
Rocket Loudspeakers package #2 5 speakers(750 Towers, 200 Center, RSS300 Dipoles) (Ordering in about 4 days)

Now, I still need to get 5 things done;
1) Upgrade AVM-20
2) Buy Denon 1600 DVD player
3) Buy Monster Power Center
4) Buy SVS sub(s)
5) Buy Sony TV

Hopefully I can get $1300 out of my mountain bike. When that sells, I was gonna get the Monster HTPS7000 power center ($855) and the $350 upgrade to my Anthem AVM-20.

We are going to buy the 36" XBR800 Sony Direct view cause a)I like it, and b) it fits perfectly in our "conceal all" wood armoure(sp?) When taxes come back, after bills and TV, hopefully I will have about $3000 left to spend.

I see that $3000 going 3 ways.
1) Get one SVS Ultra $900, and Samson amp off ebay, $500 ($1400), then buy Denon 1600, $400, ($1800), then buy 6th and 7th surround speakers from Rocket, either the $700 bookshelves($2600-$2700), or 550 towers $800 ($2700-$2800) Then the rest on whatever, cables, dvd's etc.

OR

2) Get 2 SVS Ultras $1800, plus amp $500 ($2300), then get Denon 1600 $400 ($2700), rest on cables.

OR

3) Buy SVS B4+ $2500, $400 shipping for B4+ (worst case senario shipping as quoted by SVS today) ($2900) Amp off ebay $500-$700 ($3400-$3700)
not buy Denon 1600 (probably BAD idea as I have Pioneer DV-444 right now)

Senario 3 wouldn't happen unless I got a stellar refund. Which I doubt is even feasable

Anyway, the room the HT is in now is very long. Technically 15ft wide x 50ft long, because the living room opens straight back trought the "so called" dining area and even kitchen. It also opens on the left wall about 25ft back to the hallway/door area. 8ft tall highth. This house is a rental, so I hate to buy equipment soley on this house seeing how we will probably move soon. I'd rather have something that CAN put out in any environment, then NOT.

I am trying to decide wether the 7.1 surround and 1 sub is better than 5.1 and 2 subs. I am leaning towards the 7.1 with one sub.

If I only end up getting $2000 to spend. Definately just the One SVS Ultra and the Denon 1600. Trying to decide tho if $3000 comes my way.

THANX in advance for all opinions. Again, sorry for the long post. Mine are always lengthy.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I would, first of all, email SVS with the dimensions and drawing (if possible) of your room and let them figure out how much sub(s) you need. Then go from there.

The Monster HTPS 7000 power center is nice but is a lot of money IMHO. It might me more cost effective to go a different route, unless you *MUST* have the 7000.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to point out that rather than buying a Samson off eBay for $500, you'd be better off buying the Ultra/Samson package from SVS. By doing so, you get a new amp (rather than used), a full warranty, SVS customer service, a Better Cables interconnect, and it's only $400.

Jorge UF

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm tough decision. If I were in your shoes, I would first upgrade by what would make the biggest audible difference to me. By using that criteria, I would not throw my money on that expensive ass monster power center surge protector. Staying with that in mind, how often are you going to use 7.1 sound right now? I don't see it being utilized very often, so 5.1 will suffice for now. The fact that you were considering the 7.1's lets me know that you are into movies, so the sub is of great importance in that area. Now this is where is gets tough. First of all, email svs and find out the shipping cost on that B4 bad boy. Cuz if what they claim is true (they say its like having 4 svs ultras) then for maybe $1000 more you can double your performance. Then again this is a new product, and all these claims might be a bust, so you never really know until more reviews come out. But if you must choose right now, I think I would probably go with your option 2, the 2 ultras and the nice dvd player. It would bring both an incredible audio and a great video enhancement. Though the B4 plus option would be very tempting.

John Doran

Screenwriter
well, i have the B4 in my living room, and i can without qualification or reservation recommend it to you, adam, especially with a room as big as yours.

there is absolutely no better subwoofer value out there. period. on a dollar-per-clean-low-decibel basis, it's simply and straightforwardly revolutionary.

jorge,

not having done any side-by-side comparisons with the B4 and 3 or 4 ultras, i can't (dis)confirm SVS' claims, but i can tell you that in my living room there is just no practical limit to the headroom i have available with this sub - my head would explode and my chest collapse before i even approached 10% distortion, let alone bottomed the thing out.

if you can't tell, i am absolutely ecstatic about my B4.

- jd

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Just wanted to point out that rather than buying a Samson off eBay for $500, you'd be better off buying the Ultra/Samson package from SVS. By doing so, you get a new amp (rather than used), a full warranty, SVS customer service, a Better Cables interconnect, and it's only $400.
Well, actually the Samson amp on eBay I was looking at is the S2000. Brand new. 1000 watts per channel @ 4 Ohms. The guy is a Samson Wholeseller, they are brand new for $499.00. However, going the B4 route, I really should throw at least 2500 watts at them. Brian is using a QSC to power his B4Plus. You can buy the QSC 2450 all day long on eBay for $500. I don't know, you guys are getting me all excited and pumped up for a B4. Maybe I should get it, even if I dont have the money to get them amp. Just to get it and then work on an amp, fast.

However, I have had ALOT of you the owned the Monster 7000 say it failed on you. That is disturbing. I could use that $1300 to buy a Denon 1600 and an AMP for the Dual Ultras or B4+. That way, if I get $3000 with taxes, BOOOM.... There is my B4 (2500) plus (400 shipping).

I called SVS yesterday and they said worse case senario, the B4 would cost $415 to ship to me in Astoria, OR. I am 100 miles west of Portland on the coast. He really couldn't tell me what shipping would be. He said maybe even $200 - $300 for shipping.

As far as 7.1, I can just use the bookshelf speakers I am using now for 5.1 as the 6th and 7th for now. Should sound nice, temporarily.

OK, here might be the next question. I want to protect my system. But, should I wait down the line? Should I secure a B4+ before system protection? I have everything just plugged into a nice Belden surge protector. Thats it. I have an APC Surge Protector/UPS for my computers. Should I plug my audio into that? I'd assume my amp would suffer going into that APC beast. Its so frickin heavy. but, maybe that would offer more protection than the Belden surge for now.

I dont know, the B4 looks better everyday. I have bought the nicest equipment I possibly could up till now, why stop at the sub if its within my grasp, right?

BTW, you guys have been a great great help.

John Doran

Screenwriter
adam,

is there a particularly bad problem with power surges/brownouts where you are? i know there are in certain areas, but if there isn't a notably bad one in astoria, then i would say just keep the belden, at least for now, and use your money on the audio equipment itself.

anyway, for what it's worth i have all my stuff running through a belden surge protector, too, and have had no problems at all.

i have the crown K1 with my B4, and the rane pe-17; the difference between the 1500 watts the K1 puts into the B4, and the 2500 the QSC or K2 offers will be less than 3db - probably somewhere between 1-2db. so if you're trying to go on a budget, there's probably no need to use more of your available cash on the extra 1000w.

if you're looking to maintain your record of buying the nicest equipment you can, then i would once again wholeheartedly recommend the B4.

good luck.

- jd

Seth_L

Screenwriter
there is absolutely no better subwoofer value out there. period. on a dollar-per-clean-low-decibel basis, it's simply and straightforwardly revolutionary.
John,

Can I take you up on this challenge? I'm sure that myself and some of the other people in the DIY forum can come up with a passive sub for the same amount of money that will take the B4 to the cleaners.

Just think what an infinite baffle with 18 15" Dayton IB drivers would do.

Seth

John Doran

Screenwriter
seth,

you're right, of course - i mean only to refer to retail offerings.

of course, if i wanted to be a stickler, i could price you out of the running simply by valuing my discretionary time at a stiff premium - say $1000/hour.

but i'm not a stickler, and even if i were, i would still have to qualify my statement with something like "dollar-for-dollar for myself and for anyone placing a similar value on their discretionary time", and/or introduce caveats about enclosure size, quality of finish, etc.

anyway. you know what i mean, and i know what you mean... :)

we're both right.

- jd

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Well, the good thing about when I buy the sub is, I allready have a brand new Rane PE-17 that I was going to use on my top of the line Truck Audio system.

I think you have me convinced John. I am gonna try to give the B4+ a go. I would love to be in an elite catergory of B4 sub owners. I am sure SVS will come out with something better than the B4+ down the road, but I most likely wouldn't want to spend what its going to cost. The B4+ is pretty much the maximum I think I would drop on a sub. Thank god for SVS being a direct to consumer company, otherwise, the B4+ would prolly be $10k in any high end audio store.

I wish I was sure of the $3000, I would order the B4 in a few days instead of the Rockets, and then order the Rockets with taxes since I allready am using my Cerwin Vegas. I dont have a sub.

I tell you what tho, even tho my speakers suck, (12" Cerwin Vegas, and a 4-mid 1-tweet Pinnacle Center Channel, and Pinnacle Bookshelf speakers for rears, no sub), That Aragon makes those speakers sound as good as they possibly are capable of. The Cerwins are 4 Ohms so they are getting 300 watts from the Aragon. I am sure I will be blown away by the Rockets because my system sounds really good to me right now.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Oh, I forgot. Can anyone give me even a ball park figure of what it might cost to have an electrician put in a dedicated 30amp circuit for my audio outlet?

Has anyone had it done before? What did it cost? I wonder how difficult it would be to do it myself?

One more thing. Would the QSC PLX 3402 be a good amp for the B4+. It does 3400 watts @ 4 Ohms bridged @ 1%THD. Obviously that would rock the hell out of the sub. The reason I ask is I saw this about the amp: ###Power Requirements (1/8 power pink noise @ 4ohms) 12A ### Not sure what that means and if its good or bad. Cause this amp would really only be good to bridge @ 4 ohms cause otherwise its only 1100 watts per channel @ 4ohms stereo. Any input is grand! :) Thanx.

John Doran

Screenwriter
adam,

i'm not sure what that means, either. maybe that the amp requires 12 amps to drive a pink-noise signal at 1/8 power (about 425w)....

but if it says that it's bridgeable into 4 ohms, then i don't see why you couldn't use it with the B4. that'd be a hell of a thing.

maybe you will need that 30A breaker...

- jd

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Just think what an infinite baffle with 18 15" Dayton IB drivers would do.
Don't you ideally need to first own a house to properly inastall an IB? A house with adequate attic access or a basement will set you back a few bills (more than the B4+). I'm not aware of any apartment, townhome, or condo where the neighbors would want to be the baffle:)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Adam this is off subject but YGM. I see you are in Astoria and that is where I grew up.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Don't you ideally need to first own a house to properly inastall an IB? A house with adequate attic access or a basement will set you back a few bills (more than the B4+). I'm not aware of any apartment, townhome, or condo where the neighbors would want to be the baffle
Oddly enough I don't think they're going to be a whole lot more receptive to a SVS B4+ pounding away in the apartment next door than they are a IB.

Seth

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
.Ok, I am putting in my order tomorrow for a B4 Plus!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo. I should be getting $3000 or more for my share after my wife and I split the pot on the refund. So I will order the Rockets with taxes.

Questions for the 2 guys I know have the B4, and anyone else for that matter. Which would be better. A Crown K2 amp that will give me 2500 watts bridged @ 4 ohms, or a QSC amp that will give me 3500 watts bridged @ 4ohms? The subs can take up to 5000 watts at least, but my question is, I know that CROWN make a very quality amp. But I am not as familiar with QSC. Will a 3500 watt QSC be good enough, or would a Crown K2 be so much better that it would be worth knocking off 1000 watts just to get one? It seems that both are going for about the same price on eBay. Please share your thoughts

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hmmm, I found this on a website that sell the Crowns and QSC amp pretty equally. QSC looks pretty nice. The QSC PLX3402 is the exact 3500watt amp I was referring to.
#############################
Question: How dows the Crown K2 compare with the QSC PLX 3402?

Answer: The Crown has a less power, no low frequency filters, no clip limiters, no speakon outputs, and weighs 38lbs. The PLX3402 has 200 more watts per channel at 8 ohms, has low frequency filters, has clip limiters, has speakon outputs, and weighs 21lbs. Hope this answers your questions.

#####################################

I think as long as QSC is enough of a quality amp, that is pretty much good enough for me. Can anyone vouge for the QSC amps?

Bolivar G

Second Unit
If you are really that worried about power protection, you should look into panamax also. They are just as good as Monster and cost way less. I have the panamax 5300 and I just "set it and forget it" :)
http://www.panamax.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks