What's new

svs ultra driver or tumult driver? (1 Viewer)

Randy G

Second Unit
"Other plate amps just hardwire an LFE(unfiltered) input specifically for this reason."

Ya mean amps that don't have any crossover built in, right?

I don't think the Rythmik or Stryke amps have 24 db/octave rolloffs...maybe 18db at best.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ran,

Some amps have built in XO's but also have an LFE input that bypasses the XO altogether.

You could (heaven forbid) sacrifice 1" more in height to accomodate the Hypex HS500 from Adire. That is, unless you and your buddies sit around with tape measures in your hands when you get together! :)

Randy G

Second Unit
Brian,

My buddies and I are trying to be environMENTALLY conscious by reducing the amount of formaldehyde fumes(MDF) introduced into the environment as a result of the MDF manufacturing process.
And if you pull my finger, it plays Jingle Bells.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I see that that Rythmik company also offers a servo kit version. Still an aversion to servo's???
That kit intrigues me. The "servo" doesn't appear to be one that has that vice-like limiter like the Vels, or even to "reduce distortion" (i.e. roll-off bass with increasing volume). It appears to be an adaptive eq to maintain a desired FR in a range of box sizes. Must be used with their driver, though, which doesn't appear as capable as the Stryke...and which requires at least a 2ft^3 box.

Fwiw, I refinished my little green sub with that black truck bed liner. With that cool Stryke cone against such a background, it just looks boss. ;)

Martice

Screenwriter
Jack!! Take a picture of that sucker!!! I must see it. I must see it I tell you!!!

Randy G

Second Unit
Jack,

Thanks for the link to 52100 Digital amp. Do you have any idea of what the cost is, and do you think it would be a better idea than the Stryke 380 watter?

Randy

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Randy,

Don't know much about cost on that one, or even distributors...not cheap, though. Try contacting Kyle at Acoustic Visions ,he might be able to help you. It's probably two to three times the price of the Rythmik A350 which, at 380 watts/4 ohms with all kinds of eq options for $150 shipped, is quite a deal.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I thought I saw somewhere that the Keiga amp will also be carried by Madisound soon. IIRC, the price was in the $500+ range.

Randy G

Second Unit
Yep, in comparison to the Rythmik, waaay too pricey for THIS budget. Now if they knocked $200 off of it...then I'd consider it.
BTW, it's a bummer that the servo kit locks you into their driver and that box size. Otherwise, it does look interesting.
So far, it looks like the Rythmik amp + AV12 is the best bet for a 14" cube. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ran

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
So far, it looks like the Rythmik amp + AV12 is the best bet for a 14" cube.
I really think that combo can't be touched anywhere near the price.
I do have some high-excursion 10" PR's on the way that might also prove nice in a tiny box, but they won't work in that Vb with that driver. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else interesting for a 14" cube.

Arron H

Second Unit
So far, it looks like the Rythmik amp + AV12 is the best bet for a 14" cube. Thanks for all the help guys.
Is this configuration strictly DIY or is anyone building them? How hard to DIY? What tools would be required? Is it simply assembling the parts or do you need to be a woodworking genius?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Arron,

If Randy will ever commit, I'll be building one for him! (I'll kill him if he goes with anyone else!) :) But it's not hard to do yourself if you have a table saw, and a jig saw and/or router. You can even do the cuts with a skill saw if you have some sort of straight edge.

Randy G

Second Unit
Bri,

I guess you don't need to ask the chicks whether I'm a commitmentphobe or not.

Jack,

Although I'm more of a fan of sealed enclosures, I'd be curious to know about the passive rads as well. And of course, if you come across any better ideas for a 14" cube, I'm all ears. In the end, I'll weigh what the new direct digital Velo's have to offer against the price savings of the DIY. I do admit that I like the remote control, xover bypass, automatic built-in room correction, and ability to input your own custom eq curves of the upcoming Velo's. I'll have to see how much they're gonna bump up the prices......

Ran

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks