1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

svs ultra driver or tumult driver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_ P, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Joseph_ P

Joseph_ P Stunt Coordinator

i am just curious what any of you out there with subwoofer speaker knowledge would say is the better driver? the SVS
    ultra driver looks to me like it can hold its own against any driver out there,but there is also a lot of talk on the forums about how great this new tumult driver is. has anyone
    tried a tumult in a tube enclosure and tested it?
    any info would be appreciated,thanx in advance.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The Tumult is a 15" driver with approximately 5 liters of displacement. Comparing it to a 12" driver isn't really fair, somewhat pointless. The worth of a driver is what you do with it, anyway. The majority of Tumults have yet to be delivered. When they get in people's hands, you'll be hearing things. [​IMG]

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I think the answer is pretty obvious. The Tumult certainly has the advantage of greater surface area. And while the specifics of the Ultra driver are not known I'd bet good money that the Tumult has more linear excursion.

I'm thinking the Tumult can displace about twice as much air as an Ultra driver. I don't think you'll ever find a 12 inch woofer that can really compete with the 15 inch Tumult.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

In addition, the Ultra driver isn't available for DIY use, it's sold as an upgrade to current SVS owners. Although it is a good deal more expensive than the Tumult...so maybe it is a fair comparison. [​IMG]

5. Joseph_ P

i used to have a definitive technology pf 15 subwoofer.
    it had a 15 inch driver and i thought it was great.
    i bought a SVS 16-46cs+ subwoofer that only has a 12 inch driver and it blows the 15 inch def tech away literally.
    the def tech isnt even in the same league as the SVS sub.
    And take a look at how beefy that TV-12 driver is, it wouldnt surprise me if it does outperform the tumult driver.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

7. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

hey I just clicked the tulmult link in the previous post then clicked the link there to get to their main sub driver page...that woofer next to the tulmult looks mighty familiar

8. Joseph_ P

well i didnt say that since one 15 inch driver could not
    compete with the 12 inch driver that ALL of them couldnt,
    only that the def tech 15 inch driver couldnt compete
    with the 12 inch SVS DRIVER. i have seen the tumult and it is a beefy looking driver but like you said dan , just becuase it looks beefy it doesnt mean it will perform well.
    although it probably does, i dont know, thats why im looking for educated opinions on the subject.

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. Joseph_ P

hi jack, i don't have enough knowledge about sub drivers to compare their displacement capabilities using technical
    terms. i wish i did. i'd love to build my own sub that would have the power and clean output capabilities as subs
    that come from great companies like SVS HSU ADIRE ETC..
    i have enough carpentry skills to build something i just dont know enough about drivers to decide what would be best to use in any certain enclosure. I certainly dont have access to any special spec's on these drivers, LOL.
    i do know that just because something looks great doesn't mean it will perform great. i thought my 15" def tech sub was great until i got the SVS with its 12" driver. i was astounded by how much better the SVS was compared to the def tech. so taking from my own personal experience i was just wondering if i was to build a sub, would it be better to to use the SVS tv-12 driver or a tumult driver. i guess
    i am hoping that someone has already diy'd some subs using
    these drivers and am interested in hearing what their opinions of the outcome was. i've also become aware of the fact that you cannot just buy the tv-12 driver by itself.
    i think i will check the diy section and do some reading over there, maybe i'll learn something[​IMG].
    again i'd like to ask does anyone have any first hand knowledge of how a tumult based sub performs versus a tv-12 based sub, i guess maybe an SVS ultra versus some kind of
    diy tumult driver sub, tube or box. THANX AGAIN for any info.

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The TV12 driver is pretty much a smaller scaled version of the Stryke HE15 if I remeber correctly (I think that they're both made by TCsounds and both are also considered a generation or step ahead of what is used in the Aerial SW12 and the Krell MRS respectively). Currently the big dog woofers are the ones that Adire has currently (Brahma and Tumult, car and home respectively) but knowing TV and John both will raise the bar (and flatten a few buildings) with their evil genius and most likely come out with an even higher performing woofer for use in their respective market (amazing these small companies seem to raise the bar and only people who visit forums really notice it).

13. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Joseph,

Only a few people have their Tumults so reviews are few and far between. All of them should be shipped in the next week or two and since many of the people that have ordered them already have their boxes built, expect to see their comments shortly.

And off the top of my head I cannot think of anyone who would have both a Tumult and an SVS Ultra. Perhaps someone who owns an Ultra would want to buy a finished Tumult sub from either Kyle or Brian and see what they think? Any Ultra owners out there reading this? [​IMG]

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I've got 3 boxes just waiting for the 3 Tumults I ordered. I've never heard an SVS sub though. Maybe someone in the Atlanta area would like to do a comparison once I get my drivers in.

15. Murali Kalapala

O.k This discussion seems to have gone from which driver should I get to is the SVS Ultra better than a sub using the Tumult. This would be a wrong comparision IMO.

The ultra driver is 579.00 plus shipping. The Tumult is 469.00 shipped. I believe that you could build a single Tumult Sub with the extra $110 or so(or for the price of just the SVS driver).

You can't go wrong with either.

16. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

As has been said, you can't buy the Ultra for DIY purposes.
    The Tumult is a more capable driver but needs a bigger box.

17. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I'll put my Tumult box up against damn near anything, amazing driver.. [​IMG]

18. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Anybody know if there are any plans to introduce a 12" Tumult?

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Randy,

There's the 12" Brahma, which is very similar to the Tumult, but it's designed for car audio. With an LT circuit and the right amount of power it can work very well in the home environment though.

20. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Randy,

I think you would like the Stryke AV12 in a stuffed, sealed 1ft^3 box with one of the higher-power plate amps out now (see rythmikaudio.com or Adire's new DT300). The Vd is about the same as the Brahma (due to the greater Sd...the Brahma's surround eats up a bunch) but it's more efficient and would also require far less boost for a given Qtc.