What's new

svs ultra driver or tumult driver? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but the AV12 is a lot cheaper and I imagine it's got a little higher sensitivity, therefore needing less power.

A

Anthony_Gomez

the thing the AV12 lacks is XBL2 which I think is pretty nifty if you want to lower (considerably in my experience) distortion at low frequencies.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

That goes without saying. But knowing Randy's frugal tastes, I doubt he'd be interested in paying $369 for the Brahma.

A

Anthony_Gomez

now, going even "less frugal" ..what I REALLY want to hear is the Northcreek leviathan vs. the tumult.

A

Anthony_Gomez

the leviathan has an Sd=1164cm^3 and a p-p xmax of 28.7mm (linear. xmech=38mmp-p)(using the madisound data on the other 18" aura driver...since the NC data has a typo)

this yields a Vd of 3.34L which is about that of the maelstrom (3.07L). clearly the tumult has more xmax, but what I am interested in is the NRT motor system vs the XBL2.

Randy G

Second Unit
Hello....Mr. Frugalskate here,

Thanks for the suggestion, Jack. As I've stated before, my priorities are 14" sealed cube, plate amp, and some useable clean output at 20 hz. Between the Brahma and the AV-12, I'll have to ask Brian to run the numbers...which he already may have done. I'll also be curious to see what size the upcoming Rocket UFW-12 is to see if it fits within my parameters. The UFW-10 certainly does, but I don't know how much clean output I'd get at 20hz.

thanks,

Randy

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Randy,

I have, but send me those response specs on the Velo HGS12 that you had before. I'll compare them to the AV12 in a 1ft^3 enclosure with 380W.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestion, Jack. As I've stated before, my priorities are 14" sealed cube, plate amp, and some useable clean output at 20 hz.
Bingo on all three criteria for the AV12 box I'm running now. :) I'm running with only 250 watts and I'm using a LT circuit to extend response, but the eq on the Rythmic 350 watter should work extremely well to get you a clean, usable 20 Hz in-room (@ $175 for the driver and $139 for the amp, you really can't lose with this one). The new DT300 from Adire also has very flexible boost, and a nice crossover section if you're going to use it.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd get the tumult over the SVS because the specs are available and there's more info regarding designs. If he has the money, why not team a kilowatt with a sturdy PR enclosure and tumult.

That should be a step up from the 16-46cs+.

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
thanx for the opinion chris.
the reason i made this query here at the forum is to see if
i could build a sub for about the same amount as the 16-46cs+ and still get all the attributes that i love about my sub. ex. strong clean low accurate detailed bass.
i had a sub with a 15 inch driver and it sucked in comparison to the svs. it was boomy and loose, but i had no idea what good bass was supposed to sound like so i thought it was ok. it sounded like subs that i had used in my cars.
so if i was to build a sub i definately would not want one that sounded like that definitive technology sub i had, but like the SVS i have now. so i figured i could use an ultra driver and build a sub, then i heard about this new tumult driver and although it is a 15 inch driver and should probably crush any 12 inch driver i am skeptical, because
of my own past experience with 15 inch drivered subs. i'm hoping someone has experience with the tumult sub and will post their experience with it before i lay down the 500.00
clams for it. thanx for any help you may be.

:D

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
This is a case where size has little to do with quality of sound. Just like you wouldn't judge the quality of a Lexus based on an old Chrysler you might have once owned simply because they are similar sized.

Its likely that your first subwoofer was designed with a much smaller enclosure and higher tuning than what we might consider "ideal" since 15 inch woofers tend to have very large Vas and the appropriate size enclosure would be too large for their target audience. But manufacturers will continue putting these big woofers in undersized cabinets because people who don't know better will sometimes buy for the visual WOW-factor of a 15 inch woofer.

Given that:
1) The parameters specified for the Tumult indicate excellent quality and quantity of output.
2) Adire has a proven record of delivering quality woofers that meet their specifications
3) It will, by far, outdisplace the SVS Ultra driver without a doubt.

I'm confident that this is a quality woofer. The real questions are:

Do you know what size enclosures will work well for a Tumult?
Are you comfortable with those sizes?
Do you know how much power is required to make use of the Tumult's prodigous excursion?
What amplifier would you use to power it?

Personally I'd look into the Stryke AV15 since its soooo much cheaper, can displace over 3.5L and requires much less power to reach its limits. For comparison, a typical 12 inch driver would need Xmax = +/- 35mm (70mm peak-to-peak) in order to displace 3.5L so I'm pretty sure the SVS Ultra driver won't equal this driver either.

Randy G

Second Unit
Jack,

Thanks for the head's up....I appreciate it. Maybe Brian will send me some response numbers so that I can see if it'll give me the output I'm looking for in my 3000 cu.ft. room. Now don't give me that funny look...I'm not looking for anything outrageous at 20 hz.(it's a condo), just something useable. Maybe mid 90's anechoic?

Thanks again,

Randy

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's what I get. The AV12 is excursion-limited to about 102dB @ 20Hz, so you're not nearing Xmax yet in 32L with 380 watts, you could get another ~3-4dB with twice the power if you were so inclined.

Funny looks for Randy:

:) ;) :D :angry: :frowning: :b

Randy G

Second Unit
Well, if I could find twice the power in a plate amp that could fit inside a 14" cube, I might consider it. One thing I'm a little surprised at is the lack of a "crossover defeat" switch. Most of today's processors have built-in xovers and it shouldn't be necessary to cascade filters such as would be the case. Do you think there'd be any audibility of the multiple filters if the plate amp's xover is turned all the way up to 160?

98 db at 20hz anechoic IS pretty decent. What would you add for in-room....3-5 db?

I see that that Rythmik company also offers a servo kit version. Still an aversion to servo's???

thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Randy

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Do you think there'd be any audibility of the multiple filters if the plate amp's xover is turned all the way up to 160?
That depends on the filter rate. At 24 dB/octave, probably not.

Your technique is correct, though, if there is no low pass filter disable switch on the plate amp. Other plate amps just hard wire an LFE (unfiltered) input specifically for this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks