What's new

SVS to Canada? (1 Viewer)

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ordered SVS to Canada and if so, what is the hit on duties (if any - NAFTA??), brokerage fees and taxes? I am thinking of ordering a 16-46PCi and the shopping cart says this would be $698.75 USD shipping included. This would be just short of $1000.00 CAD. I would assume that GST would apply, so another $70.00. What about PST? Do I have to pay PST if I am buying from the States?

Any information that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Lev-S

Second Unit
I'm personally getting one shipped to my Grandma's house in Pennsylvania. Then when I visit her, I take the cylinder, and floor it back to Canada! Just have to show customs proof of ownership if they are interested and off I'll go to get home ASAP and plug the monster in!

John Doran

Screenwriter
james,

there's no duty, since SVS subs are entirely manufactured and assembled in the US.

there will be both GST and PST to pay unless you have it shipped to a business address, in which case you won't have to pay PST (at least in Ontario).

brokerage fees will vary depending on who the broker is - UPS is more costly than FedEx, for instance. although, if you're so inclined, you can go and fill out all the paperwork yourself at the border and pay nothing.

back when i got my SVS sub, it was roughly twice the sticker price to get one to your door - if the sub was $500 US, then it would cost roughly $1000 CDN delivered, exchange, taxes, brokerage all in.

i'm not sure what the exchange rate is these days, but if the canadian dollar is strong, then you'll probably be able to shave at least a couple hundred bucks off of that estimate.

hope that helps.

- jd

Raj_Thiara

Agent
I bought some B-stock SVS (Sampson S1000 and CS+ 20-39). The combination of the two was $840 US. The direct shipping quote for the two units was $99.35 US.

It was shipped by UPS to Alberta (so no PST).

For the Sampson there was some duty because it is manufactured overseas (4.5%).

The UPS sheet broke down as follows:

Duty amount $28.17
Customs GST $98.85
Entry Prep Fee $59.55
Disbursement Fee $5.85
Brokerage GST $4.58
CA COD Surcharge $4.25
COD GST $0.30

Total $201.55 CDN

When you add in the initial cost of shipping it cost about $340 CDN to be shipped.

Your total will be slightly different because you are only having one product delivered and you will pay no duty, but unless you are in Alberta you will also have to pay PST.

Hope that helps.

BTW, as you have probably already heard, this subwoofer is amazing and I don't regret the dollars spent on this system. I went with the separate amp and subwoofer package because it was the same price as the 20-39 PCi and offered upgradeability to a two-sub system when I move into a house with a dedicated HT room. My B-stock was in perfect condition. Haven't had a single problem with it. If you want B-stock, you will have to frequent the site regularly and pounce upon any deals that show up.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
WOW $225+ US that is a lot of clams. What would happen if one was to have it delievered to a US address and then drive it across the border. Is that illegal and would one have to pay those fees?

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
as JD has said, you won't have to pay any duties since its made in the US. Canadian dollar isn't doing as well as it was a couple of months ago when I got all my JBL Studio Series speakers, right now the exchange rate is 1.36 compared to 1.30 2-3 months ago.

I got all my JBL Studio Series stuff from the US, but I set up a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. in a city 40 km from the US border (Plattsburgh, NY) and drove down (100 km one way) to pick all my stuff up, crossed the border and paid my GST/PST and duties (if applicable). This ended up costing me a lot less than to pay for the extra shipping costs to Canada and the extra brokerage fees. If you foresee yourself wanting to purchase other stuff in the near future, its cheaper this way.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The problem with P.O. boxes is that UPS won't ship to them. Otherwise it's a good idea.

You can do that too, but you'd have to stay in the US for 7 days in order to qualify for the $750CAN exemption if you didn't want to pay any other fees (legally). This is exactly the way I was thinking of doing it this summer. The savings in extra fees that I'd have to pay are better spent on a US vacation.

Chris_Cur

Agent
UPS may not ship to PO boxes, but they will ship to Mailbox Etc. (and other similar boxes). If you set up a mailbox at your local UPS Store, for example, they'll accept US Mail, FedEx, and UPS all at one box. It's very useful.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Drew, that is entirely untrue. UPS will ship to Mailboxes Etc. since there are employees there to sign for packages. It is not really a mailbox, they give you a street address with a number attached to it, kind of like an apartment. I've received plenty of UPS shipments at my mailbox.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Well it's not *ENTIRELY* untrue...but now that I know this is a possibility, it might be something to look into.

Although, I've said this before. If SVS could investigate how to get into the BorderFree program, and they got into it successfully, it would open up a whole other market for them.

Raj_Thiara

Agent
HSU is opening up a Canadian factory sometime in the near future and are no longer taking orders from Canadians in the US. I don't know when it is supposed to open but their website claims April 2004.

I asked Tom about the possibility of SVS opening up a Canadian warehouse or distribution centre but he seemed to think that would only increase costs overall. I never asked him about the border-free program but they may be too small to make it worth their while.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

Raj, my understanding of the arrangement is that Hsu is establishing a distributorship here in Canada (subs will still be designed in California, assembled in China). Canadians would do well to call Jack or Walter at Rocelco (905-738-0737) to find your nearest dealer. Meantime, I've got a fully authorized dealer showing up at my door at 10:30 this morning with an STF-3 for an in-home demo, complete with a 30-day money-back guarantee. This will be fun. Cheers.

DS.

Terry St

Second Unit

Right now Paradigm is probably the best bang for buck sub manufacturer in Canada. (Thanks to lower canadian prices and the shipping costs for Hsu and SVS subs.) However, Hsu just might manage to give them a run for their money with a Canadian factory. Definately good news!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks