What's new

SVS subs and the upgrade bug! (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Ok I caught this dreaded disease and the doctor (Dr. Knight) said it was time to upgrade to cure it. So this is where I am at...
I have 6 JBL S36 speakers and a S-Center (great speakers I might add) and I am currently using a Definitive Technology PF12tl for the front sub and a JBL PSW1000 sub for the rear sub. My room size is 18 long by 15 wide and pictures of my setup can be seen here:
http://www.homestead.com/DigitalVort...omeTheater.htm
So my questions are....
1.)Which of the SVS subs should I buy and why? I was looking at the 20-39 as it seems to be the middle of the road sub which works best with DVD 5.1 sound tracks and also 2 channel stereo music listening.. or should I get the 16-46 since I can use the D.T. PF12tl for the rear sub? Or should I just get rid of the D.T.PFtl all together and just use the SVS sub or two of them?
2.)Which leads me to my next question? Who uses another sub along side there SVS sub and which SVS sub did you go with?
Any other thoughts????
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com
[Edited last by Mark Knight on July 17, 2001 at 05:32 PM]

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Mark,
I placed a SVS 16-46PC along with a M&K MX-125mk2 last week and I couldn't be happier.
The SVS is tuned for 16hz and gets down low and mean while the M&K fills in nicely at the slightly higher hz.
The M&K is rated down to 20hz but the output is very weak compared to the shock wave that the SVS 16-46 will push through your home!
I think there is a review at SVS from a HTF moderator with one SVS and one non SVS in his system.
I agree with his observations 100%!!
Go for the SVS 16-46 and you will be grinning from ear to ear!

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thanks Steve! I will see if I can find that review over at there site. I also sent an email to Ron to see what his thoughts might be about my HT room and a sub or two just incase he misses this thread.
wink.gif

------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
www.digitalvortex.com

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Mark;
If you're going to go all the way, then go ahead and pick up a 16-46. I was really surprised to find that it is not only a great sub for movies, but it also handles music surprisingly well. If that's important to you, then you won't be disappointed.
Before I got the SVS, I was going to hook up my Rava sub from Adire Audio in through my mains, but after playing around with the SVS, I have found that it is all the sub I need. Depending on your situation, I'm guessing that if you want to use two subs, you'll end up making the second one an SVS.
------------------
-J.Fo
Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Mark,
YHM (my new favoritist abbreviation!).
The review by our own Robert "Demented Video Dude" Fowkes is on our SVS Reviews page.
In my note to you I'm recommending you sell plasma or whatever it takes to get TWIN 20-39CS's. I just KNOW you have an old amp or receiver around right?
Pick up some $ from your old subs, you'll be amazed at how simple integrating a pair of subs is...when they are like models. Any two of other brands is doable though, we just can't recommend it as the best way ahead.
Ron

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't suggest keeping the current woofage. The problem is neither of them is going to do much in the first octave to begin with(16-32hz)...and once the volume levels begin to creep up...I doubt either will offer much (clean) output

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
As always, thanks Tom and Ron for the great information and suggestions.
It looks like the IRS was also reading this thread as they decided to send me a check next month for $500 to help the cause! What a nice bunch of folks at the IRS!
wink.gif

Now if I were to go with two of the CS woofers, and from what Ron said it looks like it is recommended I go with the 20-39’s, would I be placing them together in the front corner of the HT room or in the rear corner of the HT room?
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
www.digitalvortex.com

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Mark,
Place them wherever they sound best to you. Most people place them in the front corner. For you that might be different. When you receive the subs, place them in the listening position, hook them up, and walk around the room. It is best to do that with two or three friends so this way you can get different opinions. The subs also may not blow you away right off. Your ears may need a chance to adjust to what good, clean bass is versus boomy bass. Lastly, make sure you calibrate the speakers. That will make a tremendous difference.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Bryan.
I wish I could afford the luxury of being able to place the subs anywhere I want but like so many others here on the forum I am limited to space and selection. This is why I have two subs currently as with just one in the front left corner I have a dead spot in the listening area but with a sub in the right rear corner is fills in the spot nicely.
Again these are forward firing subs that, after experimenting quite a bit I found that with firing them towards the walls instead of out into the room I could get much better sound bass with less dead spots.
Since the SVS sub is downward firing I am sure this would be a whole new ballpark but since I have never tried one I don’t know.
Anyone have a SVS sub near Phila PA, that wants to swing by with it?
wink.gif

------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
www.digitalvortex.com
[Edited last by Mark Knight on July 18, 2001 at 09:53 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks