What's new

svs - point of deciding (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I'm deciding between 25-31 and 20-39 Pci model.
How much can I benefit from a 20Hz tune against 25Hz tune? Do I really need to go low?

And also, I know box subwoofer is more expensive, is there any better reason why you, from your experience as an owner, have decided to go with the cylinder type sub?

Please help me decide.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I had these side by side once. Which performed best ?. No contest. Both playing at once !

The reality is that they are more alike than different- very hard to tell apart. Using the haunting and rapidly going back and forth- Two of us were not even sure there was anything missing from the 25-39. The 25 however did play audibly louder (both are insanely loud though).

Box vs cylinder: purely cosmetic for equlivlent models.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Prolly, you meant 20-39 which played louder, right? The shape of my room is kinda like a letter L. My front speakers and widescreen is situated on the top of the letter L if you would look at it at a top view. The width of that is 11 feet. Then I usually watch just about 10 ft away from it. So I guess, I can just go with 25-31, what do you think?

Thanks for the input.

Neil

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,

Actually Brian did mean that the 25-31 is louder. The 20-39 gives up some spl's in vavor of going lower. Something you might consider is going with a 25-31 custom tuned to 22Hz. SVS will do this free of charge. I was going to do that, but in the end went for the 20-39. You should e-mail SVS a description of your room and outline your listening habits (music/movies and volume prefs). They will recommend the perfect sub for your room without trying to oversell you.

good luck

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The 25-31 PCi will get down to about 22 Hz in most rooms, and the 20-39PCi will dig to about 17 Hz strong.

In exchange for the additional 1/3 octave in deep extension, you'll trade off maybe 2 dB of maximum output in the 23-28 Hz region, as compared to the 25-31PCi.

The difference in extension might be briefly noticed on a few passages with legitimate signal content in the 17-22 Hz region.

If you value maximum output in the more common bass ranges over super deep extension, then get the 25-31PCi. If you favor a more balanced approach of output and extension and you don't have a huge room to fill, then the 20-39PCi is a great choice.

The "22-31PCi" is a pretty popular choice with SVS owners, and is a 25-31PCi with a 15" vent (vice 12" for stock), which lowers the tune to 22 Hz. It is a no-cost option at the time of ordering (just add the request to the comments box). The 22-31PCi "splits the difference" between the two standard PCi offerings, and gets you a bit deeper without losing much maximum output at all.

Regards,

Ed

Joey_V

Second Unit
i went for the 22-31pci... and i am glad i did. plus, i dont think i can hide the 20-39 from my parents during dorm move out day as well as i can with the smaller 22-31. BUT then again... the 22-31 is TWICE the size of my replaced infinity entra two 12" subwoofer! :D

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry guys, what benefit do we get if we go for lower tune Hz? Does it mean, the lower the Hz, the louder the sound? How do I notice lower tunes?

Thanks guys. Bear with me for now. :)

Neil

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
1 Hz = 1/s, so a 20Hz subwoofer will be able to play tones that change direction 20 times in one second. The lower the number, the "deeper" the sound. A 25Hz subwoofer will not be able to go this low.

A 16-46PCi most likely will produce enough pressure (depends on your room and how loud you want it) and will go lower than the 20-39. I know I have plenty of headroom on mine and I have a fairly large and open room.

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator

It's actually the opposite. The lower the Hz, the less audible the bass frequencies become.

The benefit is goosebumps and a really big grin on your face as you experience the FEELING of DEEP BASS.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks