What's new

SVS PC-Ultra versus RSW12 (1 Viewer)

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
I am expanding my subwoofer budget to potentially buy one of these two subwoofers. Do any of you have any experience with these such that you can offer me any advice? I am looking for about 80% HT and 20% music out of the sub. I want the lows (18-20hz) but I don't want to compromise too much for the ultra lows (14-16hz). Which of these best fits within my parameters the best?

Any info is appreciated...

Thanks,

Dallas

Egil

Auditioning
This question pops up once in a while.. And from what I have read - the best choice would be the PC-Ultra. Especially for HT, since it goes really DEEP. The RSW12 rolls off around 24-25hz if im not mistaking. Perhaps someone else can tell :)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard the PC-Ultra but I have had the opportunity to do a direct a/b between a 20-39 and a RSW-12. To my ears and the owners ears, the 20-39 went deeper and was more accurate. I bought a PB-2+ based on what I heard and have loved every second of it. I wouldn't think twice about getting the Ultra.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The short time I had the PC-Ultra, I sure was impressed. Hard hitting and bullet proof comes to mind along with sounding great. My room is a leaky 2880^ and it handled it with ease.

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses guys! It seems the quality to price ratio of the SVS is just extremely difficult to beat.

Take care,

D-Rex

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Dallas,

How large is your listening room and does it have any large openings to other areas of the home?

When listening to action oriented DVDs, do you occasionally use loud to very loud volume levels---perhaps even approaching reference levels?

Feel free to email me at [email protected] too.

Tom V.
SVS

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I recently replaced an older Klipsch SW12 (pre R stuff) with a PC Ultra. The Klipsch sub put out a lot of impact...quite different from the SVS sub. I guess it's what some people refer to as boomy. The Ultra blends quite a bit better in my room vs the Klipsch. It's not easy to compare the two as they're so different. I demo'd the RSW12 prior to ordering the Ultra but preferred my older Klipsch to the newer model. The Ultra took me about a week to get adjusted and situated properly (to my taste anyway) but I would never go back to the Klipsch sub.....it has a nice home with my granddaughter now. The SVS sub doesn't call attention to itself (especially with music) and really enhances the HT experience.

Mort (who's sorry for being so wordy with what's probably not much technical help)

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator

I estimate it to be 12' by 18' and it has alot of openings, 3 to be exact and a forth that is actually a glass sliding door. I am not overly concerned about buying too much sub for my current space because I will be moving in a year, maybe less. However, I do want the best sub for my money.

Thanks,

Dallas

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dallas,

Do you occasionally push action oriented DVDs to louder volume levels---even up to reference levels?(you won't know this unless you have calibrated the system with a SPL meter though).

The reason I ask is...the louder you push action oriented DVDs, the more likely something like the PB12-plus/2 will be the better choice for you. The PC_U will be fine up to the 9-12dB under reference range in a room like this. But if you like really loud/realistic (theater like) levels occasionally...the PB12-plus/2 is the way to go.

Tom V.
SVS

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator

To tell you the truth, I do have to increase the volume levels probably a little higher than normal. Now, I think the main reason we do this is because we lack a sub, so, with the presence of a sub I don't know that my wife would want it that loud. However, it sounds like you would suggest the comparable box over the cylinder with this room setup. When would you sugges tthe cylinder over the box?

Thanks,

Dallas

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mort, I'm not only looking for technical help but just general opinions. Thanks for your input!

Dallas

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure Tom will be back to answer your question, but I just wanted to point out that he didn't necessarily suggest the comparable box. The box he suggested has 2 12-inch speakers as opposed to one in the cylinder.

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator

I see, you are probably right that he is saying the box might fill the room more thoroughly because it has two speakers versus the one speaker in the ultra. So, if I had a more sound proof room, the Ultra might be as efficient at filling the room as the boxed one?

Thanks,

Dallas

Jan O Lassesen

Auditioning
Hello, :)

Well, I had the RSW-12 for months, and thought I had it!! But no, after testing the Klipsch against SVS 2531+ it just crushed the Klipsch down to pieces! The 2531 went so more deeper and powerful that i couldnt believe it, and most important, linear tuned down to 20Hz.

I really thought the Klipsch was one of the best subwoofer on the market. It doesnt go deep at all! It has punch and dynamics with good skills in music, but in home theater it cant be compared with the SVSs. When tuning the Klipsch to a punchy bass, the Klipsch sounds ok, but then I didnt get any deep bass. If I tuned it to a deep bass, I had to turn the volume up up up, then punchy bass sounded boomy and way too much in higher sub frequencies.
Conclusion: RSW-12 non linear!!

When I bought my own PB10-ISD I just knew this was it. Linear FR, digs deep and pushed loads of air! I was quite suprised about this "little" 10inch subwoofer. It just went so much deeper than the Klipsch, it was funny :)

I am now waitin for the PB12-Plus/2, and this should be on another level :) Im really looking forward to it!!

ShaunB

Auditioning
Dallas

I have had my PB12-Plus/2 for about two months now, and I would never go back. My room is 16X20 with a couple of openings, and I have to run this beast at about 1/3 gain. This thing is clean, and deep, but it is BIG, make sure you take that into consideration. I have some pics on my gallery of the size (the other sub pictured is a Klipsch RW12). I had the Klipsch for about 3 years, my buddy has the RSW12, and I wasn't a big fan of the sound (too boomy for me, the SVS is much cleaner).

Good luck with your new toy.

Shaun

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Listen to Tom V. on this. If you watch movies at medium to medium loud levels, stick with a single driver Plus or Ultra. If you sometimes really crank it to wall shaking levels, get a dual driver PB12Plus/2 or Ultra/2.

FYI, I also have a PB12Plus/2 and love it.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dallas,

With both set to 20hz mode, both(the PB12-plus/2 and the PC_Ultra) will extend down to 16-18hz in your room. The PB12-plus/2 will have a 2-4dB output advantage though. The advantage for the PC_Ultra is it has a much smaller footprint and the built in parametric EQ. But if you can fit the larger enclosure into the decor with no problems...and do want to "shake the walls" on demos for friends...the PB12-plus/2 is the better choice imo.

Tom V.
SVS

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dallas, I think you should consider the PB12-ISD/2. See, Steve nn's post referring to its awesome performance. I can also attest to its incredible value. In fact, I just posted mine for sale on the "hardware for sale" section on this site.;) It's a great value, and I'm planning on replacing it with the PC-ultra solely because we remodeled our HT room, and the cylinder sub would now work better with the room (WAF). Of course, you would have to live w/i driving distance. :D Either way, I would stick with the SVS. Awesome products and I don't think you can go wrong with one.:emoji_thumbsup:

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Regarding Tom's comment above: Dallas, if decor is an issue, take a look at the SVS news page and you'll notice that the new wood finishes on the PB12Plus/2 will be available for pre-order in mid-February.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks