What's new

SVS News - no comments yet?!?! (1 Viewer)

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
They just put up on their new page the new info on their re-launch of the box subs with the new boxes. I haven't seen a discussion on them yet. I was surprised no one else saw this or mentioned it.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news.htm

I would like to know from the SVS crew if they can give me any info on the performance of the new PB12 Plus. Maybe if you can reference to what it does in comparison to the old PB12 Plus.

Thanks,
Bryan

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
No huge changes. Just better pricing on wood finishes and slightly redesigned cabinets. The PB12Ultra will be a popular seller I'm sure. Wait for the release of the full range speaker info. That'll get some people talking I'm sure.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
They'll probably get some flack over the new imported boxes (I personally don't care).

From reading the selection I'd say the change is more cost & appearance oriented, and the outputs should be the same.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
(quote)
They'll probably get some flack over the new imported boxes (I personally don't care).

I'd rather pay a little more for Made in USA. Fewer and fewer products are made here every day. If we keep outsourcing at this rate, this country won't make anything.

I'm in the minority on this issue however. Just look at how many people shop at Wal-Mart. Most of the products that they sell are China made, and they are ACTIVELY trying to source many of their remaining U.S. made products from China suppliers. Where are you Sam when we need you?

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Eric:

I agree, I don't care that the boxes are imported. I am sure they are fine.

However, outsorucing isn't that great, but I think it is just a shift in the economy. Way to broad of an issue to start to tear apart (opinions and outcomes range from great to doom, and everywhere in between)

Well, I'm not getting a degree in product line management for nothing. I'm the sap who gets take business trips to East Asia and make sure they are making the boxes the right way :emoji_thumbsup: - or well, thats life.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
No huge changes. Just better pricing on wood finishes and slightly redesigned cabinets.
__________________________________________________ ___

You might be surprised? Thats why they call it the News Page;)

>>>I'd rather pay a little more for Made in USA.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Bryan,

There were a number of "tricks" (not really tricks, stuff learned through a lot of research) on how to trim that PB12-Plus down a tick and actually increase performance. From what's been said internally by Tom Vodhanel already (much more testing is ongoing) I think the biggest change will be greater linearity in frequency response (FR), both in the high and low bass regions.

Given the PB12-Plus was already quite good in this regards, that's saying something. I can't publicize some of the things that lead to this improvement but given a lower price, more finish choices, cleaner styling, and better performance too... well we're happy to have it all. ;^)

Toss in the fact we're dealing with one of the most well-respected OEM suppliers on the planet (Mark Schifter had been in audio for years before I was doing pushups for some drill sergeant at Ft. Dix NJ, well over 20 years ago now) means good people are still making key parts for your sub. Not some flim flam operation from some guy none of us have ever heard of.

As we have said many times, no OEM tries harder to source more from local and distant US suppliers than SVS. Certainly no one selling stll at "affordable" price points. But there are some things, that we can hardly get done at ANY price. Big wood cabinets are rapidly going that way. Things like woofer magnets? They are utterly extinct from US sources. You MUST import.

There will be more suprises, often ones showing we can actually bring manufacture BACK to the US, in some cases. So it's not like this is ever a static thing. The dynamics of shipping costs, language barriers, long lead times etc can tip the balance back to small US and Canadian businesses.

Some naysayers (SVS has the obligatory 3-4 guys out there that would criticize us for coming up with the cure for cancer too late) will gloat about us sourcing some raw cabinets, or some full range speaker part from China. Let them gloat. They'd never cast aspersions on their favorite brands for having done it on a whole-scale basis long ago.

We're grateful for the bounty of great technology and craftsmanship that world markets provide. We'd never select any part, or even a whole turn-key system that was to the detriment of our customers, or the economy that made possible SVS in the first place. When you are successful as SVS has been you really do realize that there are things more important than money.

Ron

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I'm not "blaming" SVS for outsourcing. My company does quite a bit of component outsourcing to keep the end product competitive while still being a USA product.

I really like SVS as a company and own a PB12Plus/2. I have stated it is the best investment that I've made in my HT system. I just have a soft spot for USA made products as I get older. I have many seen factories close down and friends lose jobs. If a USA product is within 10% to 20% of an imported item, I'm buying American.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I will be buying a PB12-Plus/2 next week. . . Too bad I cant wait for a nice Rosewood or Cherry or Maple (Light color) WOW!!! As always I either end up buying too early and before the bugs are gone or I buy too late just before the model I buy gets improved. . . That small size change would greatly benifit me as well. . .

After two (blissful) years with the 2039 combined with an Adcom GFA-565 I thought it time to upgrade and I am upgrading all of it including wire and interconnects. . . Big garage sale comming up. . . .

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Your still goanna be sitting good Guy. Congrats! It seems like these subs are a little like the computer world. They are always marching forward.

Just finished watching Cat Woman on the PB12-Ultra/2 in the 20Hz tune and what a ride.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
DARN! Dont tell me I got to go out in this weather and buy "Cat Woman" now. . . . I bought "Friday Night Lights" (AESOME) and "Forgotten" (also AWESOME) at the time I considered CW and the other new one that I cant remember its name right now. Hale Berry as Cat Woman just didnt seem right and with it's low rating from the BB cashier I passed on it.

I am not Sub-Less right now as I am using my DCM-1515, I bought it only because I got it so cheap, well under 200 bucks. This big old pig does a fine job but not as smooth as the subs in my AR-1s and not as low as my old 2039. . . Big 15in PR and a 15in bottom firing driver make it punchy and loud but she dont go very low, rated at 27hz bottom. . .

However it adds weight to my movie watching for now. I suppose I might use it in my Garage HT/Stereo system. . . Shoot I might just stash it away for back-up. . .

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hale Berry as Cat Woman just didnt seem right and with it's low rating from the BB cashier I passed on it.
__________________________________________________ ___

I know what you mean and I'll let you be the judge of the story. As far as the bass content though> It's loaded with many different flavors including some good s-sonic. Definitely worth watching imo. Maybe I'll give Hale a call and see if she's a bass head? I wouldn't mind viewing it with her, cough;) She has to wear her cat woman suit though.

After moving the PB10-ISD to the den I have a corner that's opened up also. With the new offerings and more to come. I'm having a dickens of a time figuring out my next option. Such a problem as things go in life:rolleyes

>>>Shoot I might just stash it away for back-up.>Edit #2: Additionally, I wonder if SAC is being viewed as a manufacturer of the upcoming cabinets for the SVS full-range speakers? If so, I've never heard anyone complain about the finish on the Rocket speakers.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I found this part quite interesting. Mr. AV123 has got lots of going on. :)

Edit #1: On the other hand, I wonder if SVS will offer more parallel color options paired with the finish offerings of the Rocket series of speakers? :Q

Edit #2: Additionally, I wonder if SAC is being viewed as a manufacturer of the upcoming cabinets for the SVS full-range speakers? If so, I've never heard anyone complain about the finish on the Rocket speakers.

OK ... enough rambling. Had a long work week, but now I'm heading out to do more work so I can buy more toys. ;)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

One cool improvement with the PB12-plus is that even though it is slightly smaller than the original design, it now has a native(all three 3" flared ports open) extension setting of 20hz. (this is a feature the new PB12-ultra shares as well). With the 20hz setting, the quasi-anechoic FR is something like 18-150hz +/- 1dB. In 16hz mode, (one port plugged)...IIRC the FR is 14-150hz...+/- 2dB. Remember, that is measured outside, no room gain at all. In room...you can expect (at least) 2-3hz deeper extension.

In other words...with just one port plugged...true in room extension down to the 10-12hz range will be common. I'd suggest leaving all three ports open though...even in 20hz mode...in room extension will be in the 15-16hz range..:)

We'll have the FR chart up for the new PB12 stuff soon.

Tom V.
SVS

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Alex,

I know you are probably joking but we have considered a program like that. For now it'd be too difficult to administer. Fortunately used SVS's seem to command reasonably good resale value, and since we facilitate warranty transfer and provide full customer/tech support to owners of SVS's no matter how long they have had their sub (or how many times it's changed hand) selling your old sub and getting a new one is perhaps a bit less difficult than it might otherwise be.

With return customer discounts (all "old" SVS customers qualify for some sort of small discount) and "spiffs" like Gift Certificats tossed into these new subs during pre-order, you would have to be frozen living in Alaska or something not to take advantage of the new debuts ;^)

PS Given the source of the cabinets I think it's safe to say the PB12-Plus and Ultra will (like their dual woofer brothers) match the Rocket products pretty nicely.

Ron

Mark LS

Stunt Coordinator

Get ready... Everything you "think you understand" will get turned inside out sooner or later...

Been doing this for more years than I care to think about, and just in the last 5 years have things changed SO dramatically (in China) that it made me re-think everything I thought I had learned...

:)

All the best...

mls

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
A trade-in policy would be awesome. I wouldn't mind getting one of the new subs as well but I have to sell my existing one first.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator

They're an 800 lb. gorilla with 1 billion people, and a government that subsidizes the factories. Tough competition, and very aggressive.

Mark LS

Stunt Coordinator

With respect to my factory --- There was NO subsidy whatsoever... The ONLY concession asked for (and received) was a power sub-station built for us...

In 15 years my factory goes baack to the City Government of Shi Lo Town... This is all part of "how it works" in China... If we want to... we can THEN buy it back (again)...

All the best...

mls

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks