What's new

SVS Decision (1 Viewer)

Greg Kennedy

Agent
I'm about to purchase my first subwoofer ever. I've bought my system over a long period of time, thanks to a lot of information from this forum, and now it's time to put that ".1" on my 5.0 system.

My current system has a Denon 3802 receiver, Paradigm Monitor 5s, CC-370, and ADP-170s. I'm looking at either the SVS PB-2 ISD ($900) or the PB-2 Plus ($1200).

I think my living room is a Home Theater System's nightmare, having multiple hallways and large openings into my kitchen and keeping room. The two hallways are on the "north" side of my living room (standard hallways leading to bedrooms) and on the "south" side of the room I have an extra large opening leading to the kitchen and keeping room with another doorway sized opening to the kitchen. All of these openings are near the corners of the room. The living room is approximately 19 feet long (east-west) by 17 feet wide (north-south). However, I have a entrance hall and a dining room which are a part of this room as well on the "east". The width of the entrance hall/dining room is approximately 10 feet. Sorry for the poor description, but I can't figure out how to upload a sketch.

Obviously I'm not looking for a litmus test here, but opinions are appreciated. The easy answer, I guess, is just to spend the extra $300, but the money is hard-earned and I don't want to just spend it unless there's a good reason to do so.

Any advice?

Thanks.

gk

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi Greg,

The first question I bounce back is have you asked SVS?
[email protected]

I ask this because they are the experts and without a sales pitch. With them designing their own products from dreams in the middle of the night to listening to us, the end user.

The PBisd is a fantastic sub and my guess is it would fit the bill. The extra money for the PB2+ will provide about 2 to 4db more of headroom.

$300 is a lot of money but it comes down to the extra head room and the peace of mind. I would hate to see you get the PB2isd and be plagued with asking yourself if you should have gone for the PB2+.

My recommendation withthe size of the room and the large entrance would be the PB2+

WayneO

Supporting Actor
My HT room(living room) also has a couple of openings which I didn't consider when buying the SVS(20-39PC+), my first real sub. I was originally told to get the PB2-ISD from SVS but I didn't want to wait. I was VERY happy with it, specially the cylinder design, but I bottomed it out(I listen to movies pretty loud), so I decided to return it. Since I at least had an SVS in my house while waiting for the PB2-ISD I ordered, it wasn't that hard to wait for it's arrival. But then I got to thinking that if I'm gonna have this HUGE monster of a box in my living room, it might as well be packed with the better components, so I changed my order to a PB2+. Money isn't falling off of trees for me either, but I said this is the one time I'm not going to compromise and I'm glad I didn't. Also, based on your room dimensions and openings I get the PB2+ to guarantee you'll have the headroom to keep the sub operating safely. Good luck choosing.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I'd like to hear WayneO's comments also, but I'll throw in my $0.02 too.

I ran the 20-39PC+ and the PB2+ side-by-side for several DVDs and they were calibrated to the same exact level.

Let me say up front I have never bottomed out the PC+, nor do I intend to bottom out the PB2+. With that said, the 20-39PC+ in the 20 Hz tune was good for 112-113 dB (C-weighted) peaks, and that was pushing it very hard. In comparison, the PB2-Plus in the 25 Hz tune had no trouble hitting 116-118 dB (C-weighted) peaks without bottoming.

I also ran the PB2+ hard in the 20 Hz tune, and was hitting 114-116 dB on several passages, still easily outgunning the 20-39PC+ while actually providing slightly better deep extension.

Regards,

Ed

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Just FYI: Both subs were/are in the same spot and I've had the PB2+ tuned to 20hz since I've had it and calibrated the same. At normal listening levels they sound almost exactly the same, though I find the box a teensy tighter sounding. But once you start cranking the movies the PB2+ runs away from the PC+, SPL wise. Is it night and day......or nice improvement.....I'd say in between.

I bottomed the PC+ at -4db on my dial, it's calibrated at 75db at reference, during a LOTR scene. With the PB2+ I was able to go to +2db without bottoming and could go more it seemed, but I didn't feel the need to push it. Never really did an SPL test during that scene. I remember getting about 109db or so out of the PC+ at my listening position(12ft. away) with various movies and I've seen 114's consistantly with the PB2+, but with more gas in the tank. This is uncorrected with a RS SPL meter.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Greg,

I own a house with an open living room too. There is only one real corner left :)
The whole room is open towards the back and the right hand side, as is to the top, as the first floor has a balcony to the living room. A nightmare for bass, I can tell you.

I've now decided to go for a double-Sub Solution. This means I will place two (PB-1+) subs beside the main listening position (left & right from the couch). This way, I do not loose too much on Bass due to a farer away placement and I avoid the "close bass from one side only" effect.

You may want to consider this placement as well.

Regards,
Axel

Greg Kennedy

Agent
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. Taking Scott's advice, I contacted SVS and gave them the sketch of my living room. Tom V with SVS has replied no less than three times this weekend to answer my questions. Given my living room configuration, Tom recommended the PB2+ and a rear wall (closest to my primary listening position) placement of the sub. I had pretty much made up my mind to get the PB2+ anyway since I don't plan on buying another sub-woofer for a really long time. I hope SVS is everything everyone (well, almost everyone) says it is. I hope to place the order soon.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Greg

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You can't go wrong with Tom on your side... He's pretty much the expert with matching people and their rooms to their product line up. All without all the hassle too which I very much appreciated. SVS is a class act business! May not be the Velodyne's of the world but where else can you talk with the folks that make these things and play with them in different environments and such.... The price is only the icing on the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks