What's new

SVS 25-31: Q's on the WTF and more (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
we get stuff that looks like cheap Pacific Rim afterthoughts?
hey, the rest of us on the Pacific Rim get nice shiny gold and silver stuff! :D
seriously, most electronics out here in Singapore are gold (a.k.a. champagne) and silver. black is rare these days. personal case in point: my Marantz SR8200 is champagne, the Philips Q30 DVD player is silver, the older Pioneer DV233 is gold (as is my other Pioneer DV535), my older HTiB Yamaha Cinemastation VS-10 is silver, my Sony Wega is silver...
even speakers: I had to specially order my black Missions. they only kept beech and rosewood in stock, not the black ash. go figure.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
You can't really have too much sub.
In an ideal world - maybe - but the one I live in has a SO and neighbors. Both would vehemently disagree.

I've got an SVS and an SO that's cool about it. However, I bought a new boltz audio rack and did a re-arrangement at the same time I got the SVS. It worked out ok, and with the rather massive reorganization, it didn't really present a problem. I did a lot of 'visual clean' up in my HT - basically redid all my wiring and laid out my components in the new rack in a logical and clean fashion. This certainly helped the WAF in this case.

In the end, a more radical solution might work - what about moving all your equipment to a closet and then running the wires to your display device, speakers, and invest in a good remote system? I've thought about this approach if I move to a place with a smaller living room in order to free up space for my SVS. It would be a similar amount of floor space to a regular single tower component rack.

Otherwise, bite the bullet and trade a little performance for domestic tranquility and get a smaller sub. Hopefully, you'll have the SO longer than the sub - it's a worthy trade IMO.

Arron H

Second Unit
Ditto. And did you consider the Dharman? If so, what drove your choice?
I did consider the Dharman. In fact, I live close to Seattle and so, I drove up and listened to both. The Dharman & Rava seemed very similar on most listening material. Once again, the Rava seemed a little quicker/punchier but not tremendously so. Once again, the Dharman will go lower than the Rava. The cost difference factored in for me. I ended up getting a Rava for $349 (it had a couple of scratches on it). Also, Dan recommended the Rava over the Dharman in my case based on room size, listening tastes, etc. If I were you, I would go with what Dan recommends. He is very helpful and easy to work with. You may also want to contact Kyle at Acoustic Visions as he can build a sub tailor made to fit your needs including both both Ravas & Dharmans.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
this is exactly the plan I have, where do I go about finding these remote systems? I have looked around and found nothing.
You can go a couple of ways - www.partsexpress.com (have no idea if this is the best price) has several 'IR distribution systems'. This method would have you imbedding a sensor (some of these are TINY!) in a ceiling, call, speaker grill, then running a wire to a distribution block w/ litle emitters that stick on the front of your components. Then I'd just use a pronto as my controller. If you go to a decent AV shop, they use these inhouse (probably don't sell them.)
You can also use one of those pyramid like things that acts as a receiver and then converts the signal to RF, transmits to the other unit, which then emits a signal. These work pretty well, I've heard, but may be subject to interference of other wireless equipment, but also might be your cheapeast option.
There's a lot of higher end stuff that I have no idea about - ususally the kind of thing I see in HT Interiors magazine - that may be more integrated/come in a package.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I just got a 25-31PCi and It looked pretty big to me and my wife at first but now after I have heard the thing I don't even think about it. It really dosn't look that big to me anymore and it blends well with my other equpment. You can see a pic of it on my site at http://www.chozick.com/images/HT_Setup.jpg
Russell C: That's a great looking little setup you've got there. Very clean. Couple questions: I notice you have very small satellite speakers... what model are they? I've just ordered a 2039pci SVS, and I have Energy Take5 speakers for the time being. I'm concerned about being able to balance the sub with the tiny speakers. Did you have any problems? What sort of crossover are you using?
Also, where are the speaker wires for the front L&R speakers in that picture??? VERY well hidden, if they're there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks