What's new

SVS 25-31: Q's on the WTF and more (1 Viewer)

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering buying the SVS 25-31 PCi sub to replace the piss-poor sub I have now. I have a couple of questions, because I know there are alot of SVS fans here:

(1) The WTF - Wife Tolerance Factor. I've already shown my wife a picture of this from the SVS site, but my wife is a smart cookie. She has been "burned" by my purchases in the past, so she took down the measurements and actually slapped together a mock cylinder of the same size. She's not too happy walking around the living room trying to figure out where I'm planning on putting this thing (my current sub is just over a 1x1x1' cube). Anyone have any advice? My living room is about 15'x20'.

(2) The output. Will this fit my room, or overburden it? My room is not that big (15'x20'), but does have tall ceilings (12'). The room also co-joins the kitchen, so the full coverage area is actually quite large. Room aside, I also need to make sure it will fit with my other speaker output. I'm currently running Infinity RS-4 tower mains, a Boston VR-910 center, and Infinity surrounds going through a Denon 2802 receiver. Is this sub overkill? My current sub is my weak link at a pitiful 75W, and can't keep up with the rest of my system.

I certainly want this to give me fantastic powerful bass for my action DVD's, but we also listen to alot of concert DVD's. I want to make sure this sub can give a good "punch" when it needs to, instead of just filling the room with a constant low rumble with music. How does it handle both movie LFE vs. music?

Thanks for any input.

Rich

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You can't really have too much sub. You can have the sub's volume up too far, which is why calibration is so important.

That sub sounds like the perfect one for you. Plenty of output if you play it loud (the Who, Led Zeppelin, rap) and good sound at lower volumes too.

It's like a 'vette. Overkill for just grocery-gettin', but the capacity to outrun them all.

Good Luck!

PS - as far as placement, no idea. Every room is different. Try every corner you can, and spend the $ on a meter and calibration dvd. Can't really be successful without them.

Martice

Screenwriter
It's like a 'vette. Overkill for just grocery-gettin', but the capacity to outrun them all.
I like that analogy a lot. Well said :emoji_thumbsup:
My first introduction to 'quality' bass was with a dual 2531cs(original)setup. They are excellent subs by any stretch of the dollar. However, if your wife can't see the tube thing, I suggest that you look at Adire or HSU and if you really want the personalized look without giving up any performance that you'd get with the SVS, I suggest that you look into building your own or having someone customize a sub for you in the finish that works best to your wife's liking and the performance to you liking.
Try Link Removed for an idea of finishes that should bring a smile to most wives.
In my case, I have a 5'7" sub that would fail most WTF tests.
Good Luck

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a 25-31PCi and It looked pretty big to me and my wife at first but now after I have heard the thing I don't even think about it. It really dosn't look that big to me anymore and it blends well with my other equpment. You can see a pic of it on my site at http://www.chozick.com/images/HT_Setup.jpg

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
WTF are people using "wtf" to describe WAF (wife acceptance factor)...

Anyways the cylinder in a corner can decorated by putting a plant on it to look like a stand. My sub is 2 feet wide and 4.5 feet tall of maple. All I did was put a small statue of liberty on top and it passes the MAF (mother acceptance factor). hehe

I can't believe you'd even think that the sub is overkill. I'm positive that once you hear this one (even in a smaller room than yours), you'll want to get a second like the site recommends. The bass notes arn't harsher like mids and highs so 110db @ 20hz will be a lot easier on the ears. When you get cleaner sounding subs, the bass isn't as physical (chest pounding), and starts enveloping your body with sound.

I just got my 25-31pci on Wednesday and my wife loves it.She said it is definitely cooler than your standard black box. Plus it positively slams! I should note that my wife is unusually cool when it comes to home theater.She's into it as much as I am.Anyway,the SVS would be great in your room. Lee

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
I showed my wife pictures of subs I knew would not fly with the SVS included. She picked the SVS as the best looking one, but was still surprised by the size. I have my 2531pci in the corner so it is really not taking up any "usable" space. My room is 12x15.
And best of all after playing The Time Machine (DTS)which caused a dish in the adjacent kitchen to fall out of the drying rack I have been "ordered" to purchase The Matrix!!
I think it does an excellent job with music, however I did not own a sub prior to this one so I can't do any comparisons.
I have small floorstanders with all speakers calibrated at 75db, sub 3db hot for normal listening and LFE at +10. Just Right!!
I feel the purchase of this sub was the best thing I have done to improve my enjoyment of music and movies.
:D

Kevin T

Screenwriter
richard:

as chris hit on, the term you are looking to use is waf (wife acceptance factor). wtf is the approved abbreviation for "what the f&#k". please take note.

kevin t

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Richard. Just put a really nice picture of your wife or your wedding picture on the svs and have a spot light shining on it.;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Richard. Just put a really nice picture of your wife or your wedding picture on the svs and have a spot light shining on it.
Or instead of the SVS, you could get a subwoofer from Hsu or Adire—both square boxes. Your wife can use the subwoofer as an end table (the Dharman for example is about two feet high and finished in wood). Of course she can’t use the top for breakables...:D

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
Once you've got an SVS in the corner and integrated for awhile you wont even notice it anymore. I've got 2 16-46CS+ and they just disappear into the decor now. It helps that I've gotten them hidden behind a doghouse and my couch. You should really see them in action because pictures just don't do them justice. There are plenty of SVS owners in the Dallas area that would be willing to demo them for you, myself included. I'm just up the street in The Colony. If you want come over for a demo and WRF(wife reassurance factor):D just email me and we can work something.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I must sadly report that my SO saw my SVS 25-31PCi for the first time this weekend and she was aghast. her first reaction was something like "what on earth is that huge ugly thing there?" :frowning:
subsequent demos didn't quite appease her either, since she's not a big movie buff like me, much less a fan of "slam bang" action movies.
with music, I guess she's been used to limited bass -- a prior demo at the shop of Mission 782s in stereo only (no sub) playing Diana Krall's Live In Paris elicited a "why so much bass?" comment. having said that, some of the material we played (a fair bit of Jobim-type bossa nova) was quite bass heavy, and without EQ I suspect some particular bass notes were rather resonant, leading to "booms" when those particular notes were struck.
I think she'll grudgingly let it slide, in time. I hope. ;) 'cos returning it is not financially viable, since shipping was already US$106 one-way...

Arron H

Second Unit
subsequent demos didn't quite appease her either, since she's not a big movie buff like me, much less a fan of "slam bang" action movies.
My wife had a similar reaction. I ended up returning the 25-31PCi and went with an Adire Rava. At some point when we have a room dedicated exclusively to HT, I plan on revisiting SVS. However, the 25-31PCi did not integrate well in our 16x14 living room :frowning:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What was your opinion of the Rava after SVS?
Ditto. And did you consider the Dharman? If so, what drove your choice?

I'm considering a new subwoofer and would not even consider SVS for the normal reasons. And as my wife also just hates black boxes of any kind, the VTF series is also out of the question. The Rava looked like something what would pass the WAF test, but when I wrote to Adire with my room specifications, and music and HT tastes and volume levels, I was advised to go with the Dharman or two Ravas. As I sort of feel that the larger size of the Dhraman might be an issue (but one which I could overcome), I am still hoping for positives on the Rava.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Richard,
I was in a similar situation and the SVS product line, although high on most peoples list and mine too, the cylinder design did not make it into my home.
I looked and listened to the smaller cubes which included Sunfire, Velo and considered the HSU and others.
I wound up with the Earthquake Super Nova MKIV12 and in a 16 X 20 room, this thing is more then it can handle. The SuperNova and the GFAF (Girl friend acceptance factor) was easily accepted without any problems.
Earthquake also makes a smaller sub, the SuperNova 10 and after speaking with many owners who have small rooms or apts. with high ceilings, they are very, very happy with their purchase at this end of their product line.
http://www.earthquakesound.com/mkiv10.htm
Considering the footprint size of the cube on the 12" that I own, which is 15" x 15" x 15, I am a happy camper and so is the girlfriend.
I'm not promoting the product. There are many other fine selections in the marketplace, but this sub does the job with ease and is accepted by the lady of the house. It hides very easily if needed and is invisible until it's called upon to due it's job. It then will rock your world.
Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder and there are many products that are quite eye appealing with various covers, styles of wood colors, etc. A lot depends on your pocketbook too.
Good Luck...
Charles

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
The best appeasement may simply be giving her the go ahead to re-arrange the living room. Granted, I have some particular needs when it comes to TV and speaker placement, but I'm willing to try different locations with the sub and let her try to downplay the overabundance of black electronics in the room (why is it that the Europeans get the nice silver and gold electronics, and we get stuff that looks like cheap Pacific Rim afterthoughts?). If that means crawling around the attic to wire some high grade line to the other side of the room, so be it.

Rich

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
The sub is one of those parts of an audio system that can be hid very easily. If you are concerned about "sterile black," you could always add a rack with silver/chrome or they are even available with wood to dress up your components.

There are many components on the market today available in the states with silver, gold and black combo trim. Yet, your words are correct. More black then anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks