What's new

SVS 20-39PC+ and Athena set up question (1 Viewer)

Brad_Cox

Agent
Ok, I am finally about to hook up my system in my new home. I hooked up the Athena Micra system for the Super Bowl just so I could watch my Steelers in HD.:D Now this weekend we will spend our first night in our new home.

Ok I will be working with a 7.1 system using a Pioneer VSX-815 receiver, Athena Micras for surrounds and rears, Athena AS-B1.2's for fronts and the Athena AS-C1 for my center. My sub is an SVS 20-39 PC+ that I snagged on ebay. How should I go about setting crossovers and stuff on the sub with my speaker package. I am an idiot at this my first HT so please bare with me. I have heard that you should set it at about 85 with the AS series speakers but by me using the micra's for my surrounds and rears will I have a slightly higher crossover? Please help with any advice you can give me. Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'm not familiar with your receiver. Some allow you to have different crossover points for fronts and surrounds. If so, you could try setting the fronts to 80Hz with the rears set at 100Hz. If you only have one option, I'm guessing that 100Hz would be your better option.

Do you have any calibration equipment? If not, pick up a Radio Shack SPL Meter and the Avia DVD. You can get them both for about $80. This will be a huge benefit to your sound system and your display. These will also help you to determine your ideal crossover point.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Nice system. Yeah, 80-100Hz crossover on the receiver is fine. Set all as "Small", and disable the sub's own crossover. Calibrate!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Jack. If your x-over is adjustable, 85Hz most likely won't be a choice; it normally goes in 20Hz increments, so I'd say 80Hz or 100Hz also. If you have the ability to set the rears higher as a separate function (most receivers don't have this feature), I would.

Brad_Cox

Agent
I have the SPL meter and the Avia disk. I suppose it will sort explain itself to me a little. My nephew is going to help and he is big on car stereo's and wiring so hopefully what I dont get he will. Thanks for the info on the crossovers, I will be over at the house in a little bit so I will rwead the manual on the Pioneer and see if I can adjust seperately. Will the calibration help me determine the volume on the sub as well?

Thanks for all of the information.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, calibration will include the sub as well. Avia should explain everything fairly well. I heard that sub at a friend's recently and I really like it.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Some people find the sub calibration on Avia a little confusing. If you do, search on this forum for a thread started by Edward JM about calibrating subs.

SeanAH

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious, how much did you get that SVS sub for on ebay? I must of missed that one..

Brad_Cox

Agent
I gave $520 + 58 for shipping. The sub is 1 and 1/2 years old. The seller had 2 of them and the other sold for $562 + shipping. It looks new. I was thrilled to get it. I had decided on getting an SVS PC for $599 new + shipping until I saw this one and thought I would see how it played out. I am going to use it for at least a couple of years and then either add another one or go to an Ultra. We plan to get a larger home in the future but this one was a good price and close to my work. My living room is 12 x 18 x 8 so the one PC+ should fill it nicely. The next one I will buy new from SVS because of all of the great things I have heard about SVS service. Not very many companies like that left anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks