What's new

Surround Speaker Help? (1 Viewer)

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I'd appreciate very much any help in choosing surround speakers to replace cheap Radio Shacks.

Current setup is-
Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver
ADS L520 fronts...rebuilt tweeters and x-overs in 2001...50W nominal, 100W maximum, 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum..93 db eff...crossover at 1.5k...8 inch woofer, dome tweeter...these are 25 years old, I got specs off the internet...I think they're great speakers
Polk CS-130 center
Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Possibilities that seemed positively reviewed include Paradigm Atom, Polk Audio Monitor 30, and Axiom Audio QS4
I don't have a clue here...room is medium size apx 16x22x8.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
All the brands you’re looking at are good.

Depending on your room and seating configuration you might want to consider bi- or di-polar vs. regular speakers. The former work well if your room is symmetrically rectangular and your seat is centrally located between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way back. They mount on the side walls roughly perpendicular to the seat and fire towards the front and rear walls. The reflection gives an ambient effect.

If your room is non-symmetrical you’ll probably want regular direct radiating speakers, situated to the sides just behind the seating, or on the back wall behind the seating.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input Wayne...yeah, nice "mid-fi" system you've got! Like you, I have the kitchen behind the TV room, instead of a back wall....so direct radiating will be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks