What's new

Center speaker exchange... opinions are welcome. (1 Viewer)

kelsinni

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelso
Hello all members,

I'm here to ask you expertise and tips about some doubts I'm getting with my 1st home cinema setup...

So, I have a Yamaha RX-V459 AV receiver (europe model) with the following audio specs:

• Minimum RMS Output Power for Front, Center, Surround, Surround back
20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 Ω ...................................... 90 W

• Maximum Power (EIAJ)
[Asia, China, Korea and General models]
1 kHz, 10% THD, 8 Ω ........................................................ 130 W

• Dynamic Power (IHF)
8/6/4/2 Ω ........................................................ 120/155/190/235 W

• Maximum Output Power [Europe model]
1 kHz, 0.7% THD, 4 Ω ....................................................... 140 W

• IEC Output Power [Europe and Asia models]
1 kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 Ω ..................................................... 100 W

• Damping Factor (IHF)
20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω ................................................. 120 or more

To connect on it I have also a Yamaham 6.1CH SPEAKER PACKAGE NX-230P (front and back speakers) + NX-C230 (center speaker) + YST-SW005 (subwoofer) with these specs:
NX-230P, NX-C230
Type ......... Full range acoustic-suspension speaker system
Magnetic shielding type
Driver ........................ 5 cm (2”) full range cone speaker x 2
Nominal Input Power ................................................. 30W
Maximum Input Power ............................................. 100W
Impedance ..................................................................... 6Ω
Frequency Response
<NX-230P>........................................... 100 Hz to 30 kHz
<NX-C230> ............................................ 75 Hz to 30 kHz
Sensitivity ................................................... 86 dB/2.83V/m

Subwoofer YST-SW005
Type ............... Advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology
Magnetic shielding type
Driver ....................................... 16 cm (6-1/2”) cone woofer
Amplifier Output
EU models ..................................................... 50 W/5Ω
Frequency Response .............................. 30 Hz to 200 Hz
Power Supply
U.K. and Europe models ........................ AC 230V, 50 Hz

I'm thinking to replace my center speaker NX-C230 with a Tannoy Mercury mC B/EYE that has the following specs:
Description: Frequency Response: 70Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 90dB
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Power Handling: 140 Watts (RMS)
Drivers: 1 x 25mm soft dome | 2 x 102mm paper cone

My question is if, in fact this exchange worth it and if there isn't any problem I get a speaker with more Watt (140W) that the RMS value of my receiver (90W).

It is true that the receiver should have allways at least 50% more Watt per channel than the respective speakers?

Thanks in advance for all the tips

Cheers! ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's usually best to have matching speakers, especially in the front. Speaker power handling specs are mostly worthless, so that's really not anything to worry about. The Tannoy speaker will work fine with your receiver. It just won't match the other speakers.

kelsinni

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelso
Thanks for your reply @JohnRice

So in your opinion it's better to keep the 3 Yamaha speakers in front all with RMS 30watt and 6 Ohm than replace the center speaker with this Tannoy with 140watt and 8 Ohms...

It's just I got a chance to get this Tannoy speaker by a bargin and I tought it might could bring some more quality to my system... just that.

So, I think I will follow you tip and keep the 3 as they are now...:)

Thanks again for your help...

Cheers!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you could replace all three front speakers, I'd say go for it, but replacing only the center is a mixed bag. You especially want uniformity across those front three speakers, and I expect the Tannoy will sound radically different from the Yamahas.

kelsinni

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelso
I think you are right...
The most probable is that I will loose that uniformity and so reduce the overall quality of the 3 front speakers.

I will keep the system as it is for sure :)

Thanks once more for your help.

Cheers!

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
The uniformity that is being mentioned is technically called timbre matching which gives you a one cohesive sound (as if coming from one source) during pans across the three front speakers.

What does the used speaker market look like in your area?

kelsinni

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelso
Hello again,
Meanwhile I got a good business and replace all the 3 front speakers (center, front left and front right) fot these:
- Yamaha NS E-105 (front left and right)

- B&W Bowers Wilkins Solid Solution C100 (center speaker)

Almost all the times the sound profile that I choose is "Enhanced 6.1 Channels" with all the 6 speakers playing listening music and radio and "PLIIx Movie" or "Neo:6 Cinema" while playing movies.

I got a significantly improve on the general sound but now my question is?
As the front speakers have more 'power' that the 3 on the back, should I configure on the receiver to reduce a little bit the dBA on the 3 front channels (or raise a little bit the 3 rear channels) so I can get a better balance on the 6 channels??

Thanks again for the help...

Cheers!

kelsinni

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelso
The uniformity that is being mentioned is technically called timbre matching which gives you a one cohesive sound (as if coming from one source) during pans across the three front speakers.

What does the used speaker market look like in your area?

Regarding your question, I think its about the same on all areas :)... somethimes we can get really good stuff even used for a low price...for example, i got that center B&W used but as new for 20€...I think it was a good deal...

Users who are viewing this thread