What's new

Yamaha Speakers for 7.2 setup questions (1 Viewer)

CaHumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Humberto
Hello, and thank you for helping me out.
I'm new to hi-fi setups so please excuse if I don't provide enough/relevant information, so please do not hesitate to ask anything that might help you help me.
I have a Denon AVR-X2500h audio receiver which has the following specs in terms of power output:

-Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 95 W
-Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 125W
-Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive) 185 W

I do understand these are power ratings at different impedance loads, however it says 2 channel drive, what about a 5 or 7 channel setup such as the one I want? Is the drive still 95W @ 8 Ohm or 125 W @ 6 Ohm? This confuses me and makes me worry for reasons I'll elaborate now.

I went to a Yamaha local representative that suggested a Yamaha audio receiver with similar power output but higher THD, coupled to the following speakers:

- Yamaha NS-P51 Nominal Input Power: 60 W Maximum Input Power: 180 W Centre and 2 surround speakers
- Yamaha NS-F330 Nominal Input Power: 50 W Maximum Input Power: 200 W Tower front speakers
- Yamaha NS-B750 Nominal Input Power: 30 W Maximum Input Power: 120 W Rear speakers

All are 6 Ohm speakers.

I am worried because both my Denon receiver and the receiver suggested by the expert at Yamaha exceed the nominal ratings of all the speakers, this is my main concern.

Also, if there's something I'm missing about the setup proposed and it will work fine with my receiver, I'd like to know how these compare to a Focal Audio Dome 5.1 speaker set.

Thank you for helping a newbie out.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I do understand these are power ratings at different impedance loads, however it says 2 channel drive, what about a 5 or 7 channel setup such as the one I want? Is the drive still 95W @ 8 Ohm or 125 W @ 6 Ohm?
When you see a wattage spec that specifies 2 channels driven, it means what it says: It gets the rated spec with only 2 channels operating. The receiver will put out less wattage with multiple channels operating simultaneously. In most situations this shouldn’t be a big deal, however.

I went to a Yamaha local representative that suggested a Yamaha audio receiver with similar power output but higher THD, coupled to the following speakers:
As long as the THD Is under 1%, you’re fine.
Sorry, don’t know anything about those speakers. Focal is a reputable brand, if that helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks