What's new

Surround problem in Marantz SR7007 Receiver (1 Viewer)

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Hello. I own this Marantz which I purchased new in 2013 and have had very little trouble since then; however, that all changed a few days ago when I noticed that my left surround speaker (channel) had dropped way low in volume. So I ran the Audyssey program again, after doing a receiver re-set, thinking that some glitch had occurred which I was hoping would be corrected by the reset. After running the Audyssey again and checking levels afterward, I noticed that the left surround level had been set at +9.5, where all other levels were set at - (negative db) where they have always been before. Well, that setting brought the audio level back up to where it balanced with the other speakers, BUT the level of that channel was almost "maxed out, " which concerned me. Then I ran Audyssey again, just to make sure that setting was correct and, while there was a little variation in the other channel's settings, the left surround channel had been set at +11, which totally maxed out that channel's available volume. So now, my question is...is this an amplifier or a processor problem? Either way, I'm told, my a friend who used to repair these receivers that Marantz probably wouldn't have any parts needed to make any repairs, so is my receiver headed for the junk pile or what? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and BTW, there is nothing wrong with the surround speaker itself, since it was playing the "pink noise" OK.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks and BTW, there is nothing wrong with the surround speaker itself, since it was playing the "pink noise" OK.

I would say that conclusion may be a little premature. My first troubleshooting step would be to switch the surround speakers. If the problem remains in the same channel then the speaker itself can be positively ruled out. Next I would replace the speaker wire on the suspect channel. If that doesn't resolve the issue then the problem pretty much has to be the receiver itself. Have you tried disabling Audyssey altogether as a troubleshooting step?

williammoore

Agent
Real Name
William Moore
I would say that conclusion may be a little premature. My first troubleshooting step would be to switch the surround speakers. If the problem remains in the same channel then the speaker itself can be positively ruled out. Next I would replace the speaker wire on the suspect channel. If that doesn't resolve the issue then the problem pretty much has to be the receiver itself. Have you tried disabling Audyssey altogether as a troubleshooting step?
John: thanks for your reply, but I'm sure it's not the speaker, since it plays both loud and soft, based on the test tones; however, I did un-plug and re-plug the speaker cable both at the speaker and at the receiver. Can't really replace the cable, since it's inside the wall, but again, since the speaker is getting signal, I'm sure it's not the cable. Today, I plan to do a "round-robin" level check using test tones from a test disc and see how that goes. then I'll report back. Anyone else have a comment?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Refresh the connection, and it wouldn't be a bad idea just to swap the surround speakers to make certain the problem doesn't travel with the speaker. Don't make assumptions. Otherwise, it most likely points to a problem with the receiver, like a failing amp.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Connect a smaller speaker with short cable that you can test on each speaker terminal output. Also tape the AVR lightly with hand see if the issue resolves if it does it maybe a dry solder joint has developed on one many of the PCB inside the AVR.

Can you still manually reduce the level of the surround channel down via the buttons on the remote or AVR back to 0.0db.

williammoore

Agent
Real Name
William Moore
Refresh the connection, and it wouldn't be a bad idea just to swap the surround speakers to make certain the problem doesn't travel with the speaker. Don't make assumptions. Otherwise, it most likely points to a problem with the receiver, like a failing amp.
John: I did a factory reset and then re-ran the Audyssey set-up, twice, with the program trying to compensate for the low channel, first with a setting of +9.5 db and then +11.0 db which maxes out that channel, while all the other speaker settings registered in the negative-db column. Personally, I think the problem is in the amp for that channel, but I was told by an ex-AVR serviceman that parts for my model likely are no longer available. what to do?

williammoore

Agent
Real Name
William Moore
Connect a smaller speaker with short cable that you can test on each speaker terminal output. Also tape the AVR lightly with hand see if the issue resolves if it does it maybe a dry solder joint has developed on one many of the PCB inside the AVR.

Can you still manually reduce the level of the surround channel down via the buttons on the remote or AVR back to 0.0db.
Yes, but why would I want to do that? Also, any manual adjustments made following the Audyssey setup, as I understand it, cancels all the Audyssey settings, like EQ and crossover adjustments.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John: I did a factory reset and then re-ran the Audyssey set-up, twice, with the program trying to compensate for the low channel, first with a setting of +9.5 db and then +11.0 db which maxes out that channel, while all the other speaker settings registered in the negative-db column. Personally, I think the problem is in the amp for that channel, but I was told by an ex-AVR serviceman that parts for my model likely are no longer available. what to do?
the fact it seems to be getting worse, and it's maxed the output does point toward something failing in the receiver, unfortunately. I just wanted to try and eliminate other options.

williammoore

Agent
Real Name
William Moore
the fact it seems to be getting worse, and it's maxed the output does point toward something failing in the receiver, unfortunately. I just wanted to try and eliminate other options.
John: I ended up doing some manual level settings, since the Audyssey's volume settings on the sub and that "defective" left surround were much too high. Brought the +vol on the left surround to +8 so, there's still a little headroom there. So now, i'll do some critical listening and see how everything sounds and keep fingers crossed that nothing else happens.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Update: I let me tech buddy take the receiver to his house where he ran a battery of tests with his test gear and found the same problems I had discovered, except that the left surround channel was reading low and the center channel was reading high ; however, he did another reset and re-checked everything and found that all readings were once again normal. I took my receiver back and reconnected everything and re-ran Audyssey and "voila" all channel levels were back to where they should be and everything has been working fine ever since. Any speculation as to what might have happened?

Jasanti

Auditioning
Real Name
José Ângelo Santi
Update: I let me tech buddy take the receiver to his house where he ran a battery of tests with his test gear and found the same problems I had discovered, except that the left surround channel was reading low and the center channel was reading high ; however, he did another reset and re-checked everything and found that all readings were once again normal. I took my receiver back and everything and re-ran Audyssey and "voila" all channel levels were back to where they should be and everything has been working fine ever since. Any speculation as to what might have happened?

Hi Willian and Jonh!
I happy for you both!
I have the same problem as you! You’ve talked like that:" however, he did another reset and re-checked ", How can I do that? I mean , how to reset. Which command should I use?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Hi Willian and Jonh!
I happy for you both!
I have the same problem as you! You’ve talked like that:" however, he did another reset and re-checked ", How can I do that? I mean , how to reset. Which command should I use?
Thank you in advance.
It explains how to do a receiver reset in the manual.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Sometimes having the unit unplugged for a period of time, usually 30 minutes or more, can reset things that hitting a reset button won't do. Can't completely explain why, because thirty minutes isn't enough time to even lose the preset radio stations, but in my years AV sales and custom installation, I have found it to be true.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Jeff: I can attest to the fact that this can work, since I have done it with my SR7007 once or twice.

Jasanti

Auditioning
Real Name
José Ângelo Santi
Hi,
I bought my SR7007 5 years ago, and I called it 3 times and it gave me this problem, I never called it again, searching I found the forum for you.
I dream of making him live. I managed to find his technical manual and it says fine.
Hugs friends.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Sometimes having the unit unplugged for a period of time, usually 30 minutes or more, can reset things that hitting a reset button won't do. Can't completely explain why, because thirty minutes isn't enough time to even lose the preset radio stations, but in my years AV sales and custom installation, I have found it to be true.
It most likely allows charged capacitors to drain off and allow things to go back to normal. I see this all the time on PCBs on equipment I service. A quick reset doesn't fix the problem but powering off for a few minutes allows voltage to drain off and persistent issues go away.

Jmcntoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Juan Cantu
Any permanent solution?

I have an sr7011 that constantly does this. I've had it in for factory analysis twice. Of course a factory reset and recalibration temporarily solves the issue but it comes back after a few days of use. I just keep hoping for a firmware update that will solve this issue.

Unfortunately, this will be the one and only Marantz purchase for me.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
My SR 7007 has been behaving flawlessly for some time now; however, a year ago February, I purchased on Amazon, an SR7013 for $899 brand new ($1599 list), so at some point I'll have a newer back-up unit in case my 7007 "buys the farm." It seems to me that the more features they stuff in these receivers, just to keep up with technology, is frequently an open invitation for more problems. I'm still viewing my 2009 vintage Pioneer 60" plasma which still looks great and , thankfully, doesn't have all those stupid apps they put in TVs these days, which turns them into giant smart phones. I'm really dreading having to buy one of those things!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks