What's new

Surround Not Working (1 Viewer)

Mike_Kelly

Auditioning
After 5 years in my new house I finally got around to connecting my surround speakers (wired through the ceiling). I setup my receiver, going through the test that plays static on each speaker one at a time so I can adjust the relative sound level. I connected my DVD player to my receiver via coax. The receiver auto-detects the digital connection. I put in my Star Wars II DVD, went to the THX Optimizer, and started the speaker test, where it plays static through each speaker one at a time. The sound for the left and right surround speakers comes out of both speakers, and no sound comes out of the subwoofer. My receiver (Pioneer VSX-D511) has several processing options (ProLogic, Movie, Expanded, etc) - I've tried them all. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Mike.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
When you said are you referring to the red & white RCA jacks or did you hook up the digital coax? Does your DVD an options section to turn on or off the digital signal?

Dave

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Do I understand you to say that when you run the receiver's test tones you get sound from all speakers including the surrounds, but when you run the test tones from the dvd you do not? Make sure your dvd is connected with the digital connection as Dave said. You also have to go into the menus for the dvd player and enable dolby digital via a bitstream or digital connection and not pcm. My panasonic dvd player has separate menus for dolby digital and dts. I have to enable both, and then in two more separate steps select bitstream instead of pcm. Make sure you've done all of this. The paper manuals that come with most players, all components usually, are horrible. You may have to look around a bit.

Mike_Kelly

Auditioning
My DVD player was set to PCM. It never occurred to me that I would have to tell my DVD player to output dolby or dts - I just assumed it was all automatic.

I went through the THX setup and ended up switching wires on three speakers also. Pretty handy for them to include those tests on their dvds.

Thanks for the help!

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks