What's new

Surround and surround back ???? (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Phil was nice enought to help me out in the last thread about surround speakers.

Decided on JBL E10's that will be place very high on the walls, to the side and facing listening position. I was going to place them slightly behind listening area until I decided to splurge and pick up a pair of JBL N24's to use as surround backs (since my receiver supports 6.1 and a virtual 7.1-will upgrade to ful 7.1 when the Pio 1015tx comes out).

My quesions is the surround backs.
I will have to place them on stands. My sectional is 2 ft or so from rear wall. I will be able to place them about 2ft or so above ear level (as opposed to surrounds which will be a couple of " below ceiling (no right side wall).

The rear surrounds will only be a foot or so behind me. Should I go this route or place the rears behind the sctional firing up towards the ceiling?

Obviously I will have to try both, just wondering if anyone has run across the saem type of setting.

Thanks.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
A different Phil here;

I would if at all possibe mount both the rears and the sides on the ceiling with something like a OmniMount 30.0 CA Series ceiling speaker mount angling them toward the listening area.

The reason I say both side and rears is ideally for the best sound you want the sides and rears at the exact same hieght and tilted on the exact same angle. Since apparently you do not have walls in the rear in order to match the side speaker height via wall mount you would ceiling mount all four.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Actually, I have a back wall, I am just missing most of the wall on the right side.

I REALLY want to use stands because I am renting right now and my wife is already busting my chops about mounting the sides high on the wall. Trying not to multiply that aggrevation x 2 :-(

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Use the stands. I have always done it this way, and I feel it works the best. Rather than pointing the speakers at your head, you can point them out, towards the side walls or push them to opposite walls and point them towards each other (this worked best for me previously, but mine were about 4' behind also).

The main thing will be not to point them directly at your seating position, and calibrating that channel will be very important. You may find that you need to adjust it by ear rather than with an SPL meter, to get the level just right. My current setup is like this, and after calibration, my RS surround was distracting at it's calibrated level, and I ended up with -1dB RS and +1dB on the LS (which is also further away). I no longer use rear surrounds because I don't have a rear wall.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
My surrounds will be facing in. You mean to face the back surrounds in also and not firing forward?
That I never heard of. I would figure to place them behind couch and fire up towrds ceiling for the center backs, but never facing eachother like the side surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks