What's new

Superbit U.K. Region 2 (1 Viewer)

Ron G

Grip
I was browsing DTSONLINE.COM and came across a link to the Suberbit U.K. site.They released 16 titles on Oct. 14th including a few that we have yet to see in the U.S.

Charlie's Angels
M.I.B.
The Bone Collector
Godzilla

I'm guessing we'll see these soon though.
Check it out... from the DTS homepage click "Home Entertainment" you'll see a DTS U.K. link on the left.

Ron

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think MIB would certainly benefit from the Superbit format. I hope Region 1 gets it in 2003.

Declan

Second Unit
always thought that Godzilla was a fun show. "big lizard trashes NYC", it did what it said on the tin. Suppose now seeing NYC getting trashed would'nt be high on any bodies list. But the original Godzilla DVD was (and still is) a great demo disc with some of the best uses of LFE. Wonder what the DTS track sounds like. But I think that these UK Superbit titles can only be obtained from the SuperbitUK website. Havent seen them in any shops over here anyway.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Link Removed sells the R2 Superbits of the above titles. I think Bjoern did a review of the Superbit version of Godzilla, with less than favourable results picture wise.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Indeed Julian. But it has to be noted that i tested the 'French' PAL Superbit version of Godzilla back then. I haven't looked at any of the 'UK' PAL Superbit's yet. I kinda doubt they are better, but you never know.

Always planned to test them. Never been able to decide which one to get.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hey Bjoern,

I know you are busy, but are you going to post any of those upcoming new reviews/comparisons soon? I look forward to reading those.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
I've never seen the R2 version of Godzilla but the R1 version was the very first DVD I bought and after 5 years and approx 250 DVD's later I still feel that this is one (if not THE) best looking transfers on DVD that I own. I really don't see how a superbit could enhance what I feel is an already perfect transfer. Now if we were talking Hi-Def that would be a different story.

I own the MIB and Charlie's Angels UK Region 2 Superbits. But, haven't seen any of the originals in memorable past so I don't know if the PQ is better worse or the sam. I am a sucker for Superbit though and will believe they are better until proven otherwise. And they both sound wonderful in DTS ;)
Kenneth

James Reader

Screenwriter
Kenneth, does the R2 Superbit of Charlies' Angels still have player generated subtitles for the captioning of establishing shots?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Curiously, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they originally planned to make the UK Superbits PAL60, to avoid the legendary speedup issue. I take it this never happened, then.

James, I am not sure what you are talking about with establishing shots. Where in the movie are they. I looked trough the whole beginning of the movie and there is no permanent subtitles on screen for the first 20 minutes.

Kenneth

James Reader

Screenwriter
Er. Sadly not having the film myself I can't really say. However I remember there was quite a fuss at the time that the burnt in captions had been replaced by player generated ones.
I'm sure someone else will be able to reply with the details. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks