– One Hundred and One Dalmatians – 1961

– Nightcrawler – 2014

– Lenny – 1974

– Stormy Weather – 1943

– The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming – 1966

– Predestination – 2014

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
Addie & King of Hearts/The Easter Promise $13.49
Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day $17.88 $17.99 $17.99
Arkham Sanitarium: Soul Eater $11.99
Atlantis: Season 2, Part 1 $13.79
Batman: The 2nd Season, Part 1 $26.99
Day in the Country, A [Criterion]  $22.99
Devo: Hardcore Live! $11.99
Don't Look Now [Criterion] $22.99
Earth: A New Wild $19.99
Exposed [2014] $14.99
F.I.S.T. $13.99
Fear Clinic $14.99
Forbidden Films From The Age Of Beauty: Anthology Of Erotic Cinema - The 1900s $24.95
Force Majeure $21.99
Foreclosure $17.99
Frankenstein vs. The Mummy $12.99
Hart to Hart: Season 4 $24.96
Jeff Beck in the 1960s: A Man For All Seasons $14.29
Kill the Messenger $17.93
Laggies $14.58
Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League $14.99 $12.99 $12.99
Lookalike, The $9.96
Mama's Family: Season 6 $14.96
Mouse Tale, A $12.99
Nekromantik 2  $19.99
Nightcrawler $16.99 $16.99 $16.99
Nurse Jackie: Season Six $21.39 $17.99
Poker Night $9.99
Predestination $14.96 $14.99
Rosewater $19.99
Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming, The $12.99
Song, The $14.96
Syncopation $19.99
Tarzan [2014] $9.99

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
101 Dalmatians [Diamond Edition] $22.75 $22.99 $22.99
Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day $22.86 $22.99 $22.99
Atlantis: Season 2, Part 1 $21.23
Day in the Country, A [Criterion]  $29.99
Devo: Hardcore Live! $12.69
Don't Look Now [Criterion] $35.96
Earth: A New Wild $20.79
F.I.S.T. $18.99
Far From the Madding Crowd $19.79
Force Majeure $20.99
Into the Woods [Corrected Stereo Release] $22.48
Kill the Messenger $22.99
Laggies $17.86
Lego DC Comics Super Heroes [Justice League vs. Bizarro League] $17.99 $17.99 $16.99
Lenny [Twilight Time] 
Lookalike, The $16.59
Love and Death [Twilight Time] 
Love at First Bite / Once Bitten $17.99
Nekromantik 2 $22.99
Nightcrawler $22.99 $22.99 $19.99
Nurse Jackie: Season Six $17.99 $17.99
Olive Kitteridge $35.69
Poker Night $12.99
Predestination $17.99 $17.99
Rosewater $24.99
Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming, The $18.99
St. Valentine's Day Massacre, The [Twilight Time] 
Stormy Weather [Twilight Time] 
Stray Dogs $22.99
Syncopation $22.99
Tarzan [2014] $9.29
To Sir, With Love [Twilight Time] 
Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits $17.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--More new releases from Twilight Time this week. Pre-order HERE.

--Best Buy continues its 3X points for "My Best Buy" members with any movie purchase this week.

--Also, get 100 My Best Buy points if you pre-order any of the following titles ($19.99 to $24.99): Big Hero 6 (EXCLUSIVE BB Lenticular Packaging), Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (EXCLUSIVE BB Steelbook), The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (EXCLUSIVE BB Steelbook), Into the Woods, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Night at the Museum: Secrets of the Tomb, Tinkerbell: Legend of the Neverbeast, Penguins of Madagascar.

--Pre-Order Season 4 of Game of Thrones now and choose from five special packaging options + Bonus Content. For more details, visit BestBuy.com/GameofThrones4. Certain packaging only available online.

--Buy 2, Get One FREE on select movies at Best Buy. Choose from up to 40 titles. The six titles shown (all Blu) are:

$11.99: Oblivion, Pitch Perfect

$13.99: The Purge, A Million Ways to Die in the West, 47 Ronin, Ride Along.

--The following recent releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$9.99: Justice League: Thrones of Atlantis

$12.99: Justice League: Thrones of Atlantis (Blu), The Equalizer.

$14.99: The Equalizer (Blu), The Best of Me, The Vikings: Season 2, Fargo: S1, Walking Dead: S1, House of Cards: S1, How I Met Your Mother: S9.

$17.99: The Best of Me (Blu), Wolf of Wall Street (Blu), The Fault in Our Stars (Blu), LEGO Movie (Blu), Let's Be Cops (Blu), Maze Runner (Blu).

$19.99: Breaking Bad: Final Season, Vampire Diaries: S5 (Blu), American Horror Story: (Coven): S3, Sons of Anarchy: S6 (Blu), Sleepy Hollow: S1 (Blu).

$24.99: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EE (Blu), The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug EE (Blu)

$27.99: Downton Abbey: S5

$29.99: Downton Abbey: S5 (Blu)

$39.99: Jurassic park Trilogy (Blu), MST2K: Volume XXIX.

$49.99: LOTR: EE Trilogy (Blu)

$59.99: Harry Potter Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu), Dark Knight Trilogy Ultimate Edition (Blu).

$69.99: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Complete Series

$79.99: Twin Peaks: Complete Series (Blu)

$84.99: Columbo: Complete Series

$99.99: 24: Complete Series

$149.99: True Blood: Complete Series

--Best Buy is advertising $7.50 in Movie Money to see The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (in theaters February 6) with the purchase of specially marked Blu-rays and DVDs ($9.99 to $11.99). All titles look to involve SpongeBob in some way.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Target this week has a clippable coupon in their Sunday flyer for $5 off any media purchase (Music/Movies/Books) of $25 or more. .

--The following recent releases are listed on sale at Target this week (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$8.99: The Simpsons: Season 15

$12.99: Bones: S8, Burn Notice: S7, Modern Family: S4, The Expendables 3.

$13.99: Sons of Anarchy: S1, The Vikings: S1

$14.99: Black Sails: S1, The Best of Me, the Book of Life, The Maze Runner. 

$17.99: Walk Among the Tombstones, Lucy.

$19.99: Black Sails: S1 (Blu)

$24.99: Downton Abbey: S5

$27.99: Downton Abbey: Season 5 (Blu)

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $8 DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
101 Dogs may be available at your local Walmart for $18.XX

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Definitely picking up 101 Dalmatians. I'll rent Nightcrawler and Predestination.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the early RoundUp. Made for nice reading on a Saturday night instead of early Sunday morning.

Waiting for those terrific Twilight Time movies to start arriving. They have a GREAT selection of titles this month.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Predestination was definitely quick to disc.

ETA: and Predestination and Nightcrawler are both excellent.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the Roundup, Mike. Dalmatians should really be cheaper than $22.99, but I'll do it anyway. Despite the possibility of Walmart being cheaper, it seems like the easiest thing to do in terms of convince will be to go to Target for both that and Nightcrawler and use the coupon you mentioned.

Laggies is a very fun film too, but with those two, I just can't get a third one this week so it will have to wait, but I recommend it to anyone who likes the cast. I was semi-interested in Kill the Messenger and Rosewater in theaters but missed them and will not be blind buying either of them at those prices, but may try to see them eventually.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the roundup, Mike. I really want Don't Look Now, but will wait for the next Criterion sale. I have never seen Lenny, so that release intrigues me. However, Twilight Time's pricing does not encourage blind purchases.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
JakeLip said:
Thanks for the Roundup, Mike. Dalmatians should really be cheaper than $22.99, but I'll do it anyway. Despite the possibility of Walmart being cheaper, it seems like the easiest thing to do in terms of convince will be to go to Target for both that and Nightcrawler and use the coupon you mentioned.

Agreed. I'm disappointed no one had it for $19.99. I got very used to that price point on classic Disney's. I still ordered it, used the remainder of a GC and it'll be here Tuesday (along with the Pinocchio Legacy Collection CD set).

I make it a rule not to go into WalMart for various reasons, so that was a no go for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I picked up One Hundred One Dalmatians tonight at my local Wal-Mart for $18.96.

They had both the regular Blu package...OR a side-by-side Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE package which included a Disney DVD called Disney Dog Show. Both were ringing up for the $18.96 price point.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Costco also has 101D for $18.99 through Saturday ($4 off regular $22.99).

A number of Disney DVD's and blu's are on sale ($7 off) through Feb 22 (I think it works out to about $17.99 for blu, $14.99 for DVD). I saw Wreck It Ralph, Sleeping Beauty, Planes: Fire & Rescue, Maleficient, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, and a couple others I can't recall.

Also saw some of the "Diamond Luxe" editions of some Warner titles for $16.99 including Gremlins, Forrest Gump, and Batman (1989).

And some new Criterion titles for $19.99, many of which are listed in a different thread. The only one I can recall not already listed was Tess.

I make it sound like Costco has a huge media department, but it's actually now the smallest it's ever been in my club. It seems like it gets smaller and smaller every year after they reset once the holidays are over. Media (books, movies, CD's) used to take up at least two aisles. Now it's only about half of one aisle.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was VERY surprised when in the media department at my local Wal-Mart last night that while the DVD/Blu section was pretty much the same as it had been in recent months...the CD section was confined to a much smaller amount of shelf space.

But I also don't go to W-M all that much.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Walmart also down-sized the CD selection recently (about the same time they added a grocery section and re-christened as a SuperCenter, go figure). It's only about half of what it was just 6 months ago.

Though I did read that album sales dropped another 11%+ in 2014, and there were only four (4) albums total that reached Platinum (one million copies) sales status. So I guess physical media music isn't doing well at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
Though I did read that album sales dropped another 11%+ in 2014, and there were only four (4) albums total that reached Platinum (one million copies) sales status. So I guess physical media music isn't doing well at all.
I could be wrong but I thought it was only one record that went platinum (Taylor Swift) last year.

Mike Frezon said:
Although you wouldn't be able to tell that at my house... :rolleyes:
When I buy CDs, people look at me like I'm a time traveler or insane. Though I guess that might be unrelated to my purchase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
When I buy CDs, people look at me like I'm a time traveler or insane. Though I guess that might be unrelated to my purchase.

Right?!? And you won't find anyone younger than....oh, say 30 years old...browsing the CD racks. For sure.

You will still find younger people perusing the DVDs/Blus. Occasionally.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not to start a whole discussion in an inappropriate thread, but while I do think CD sales are drastically on the decline due to the popularity of music downloads, I don't think the same is true for movies. Yes the brick and mortar stores are stocking less and less, but that actually has more to do with how people shop rather than what they buy. First the mom-and-pop video stores gave way to the big-box chains, and now the chains are failing due to internet sales. Judging from the staggering amount of new catalog Blu-ray titles that have come out over the past couple of years, I would say Blu-ray is doing pretty darn good, even though it will never surpass the volume DVD did in its day.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Challenge accepted.......
Now where did I put that pool cue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks