What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-10-2015 (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I could be wrong but I thought it was only one record that went platinum (Taylor Swift) last year.

When I buy CDs, people look at me like I'm a time traveler or insane. Though I guess that might be unrelated to my purchase.
Not quite, but controversy swirls at the real number -- maybe 3/4/5 or 6 depending on how you count.

Taylor Swift had the first album that went Platinum very late Oct, but by the end of December
there were 4 others certified.

"British pop sensation Sam Smith's debut, In the Lonely Hour is expected to join the [Jason] Aldean [Old Boots, New Dirt} , Swift and [Araina] Grande [My Everything] albums as the fourth 2014 platinum-certified by the end of the year. To compare, ten albums went platinum last year, including projects by Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line and Blake Shelton."

Pentatonix "That's Christmas to Me" was certified platinum the very last week of December and apparently did sell 1M albums

The Frozen Soundtrack also went Platinum in 2014, but was released in 2013.

There is also some ongoing controversy over how to count how many ALBUMS actually sold vs digital sales and how to count song sales from the album instead of entire albums. This seems to be particularly directed at Grande. Apparently RIAA changed it qualification sometime later in the year where apples and oranges now are all the same. So though Grande was certified Platinum she apparently didn't sell a million albums.

Aldean's album had shipped 1M in December when it was certified by RIAA, but apparently still had only sold 850K as of early February.

From Billboard:
"1989" -- 3.66 million copies in 2014
"Frozen Soundtrack" 3.53 million.
Sam Smith "In the Lonely Hour" is 2014's No. 3 seller (1.21 million),
Pentatonix "That's Christmas To Me" (1.14 million).

"Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack" is 2014's No. 5 seller (898,000).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Speaking of pool...

600x392px-LL-ec43a284_scarlett-johansson-scoop-12.jpg

(From my RoundUp template...) :biggrin:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I bought four CD's in the last month. One this week, in fact. Doing my part to keep the industry alive. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing Disney Legacy(?) Collection, Jason? Is that the right name of the series? I need to get my act together on that front.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's two of them, Mike. Fantasia and Pinocchio (this week). The other two were the Justice League: Throne of Atlantis scora and the four-disc Danny Elfman Batman Collection from LaLaLand. Next one should be the Toy Story Legacy Collection on March 17.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Holy crap! I just searched Disney Legacy on amazon.

Besides all the OSTs...I saw a new release of Dave (Brubeck) Digs Disney...WITH TWO DISCS! How did I miss that?!? I've got to get a handle on the Disney music scene.

Probably the best way to do that is to get back to MagicMusic.net. Are you a member over there, Jason? I've been a member there since before I signed up here...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's a whole new world now, huh, Mike? :) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I'm not a member over there but I keep track of the Walt Disney Records Facebook and Instagram accounts, not to mention the Wiki page for the Legacy sets. And I have my handy "Media" sub-calendar on Google with release dates for everything I'm interested in.

And, I forgot to mention this earlier...excellent memory! I'm impressed!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I just peeked over there and there's not a lot of activity. It used to be a bustling little forum. Lots of personality.

You and I will have to take this conversation offline and compare notes. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks