What's new

Superbit Japan (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
my only fear is that they use the same shitty transfers and crank up the bits-whereas a company such as WARNERS actually RESTORES a print, uses it on a DVD but doesnt bother to make that big a deal of it.

STRANGELOVE has a restored print which has not yet been used on DVD.
I dotn know if CE3K has been restored or not-it seemed in poor shape from the last disc I got

AlexBC

Second Unit
Richard,

don't forget Glory and Jerry Maguire are coming on 11/28.

the alerady available in R1 MIB 1 & 2 are also coming on this very same date, with much better looking coverart.

the complete Superbit Jpn collection:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...632959-1375511

I'm still intrigued by that TLW:JP issue, I usually find both sites very reliable, is it possible dvdscan got a bad copy of the movie?

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
AlexBC: That link is showing what looks to be a "can't find what you're looking for?" page. I can't read Japanese all that well, so perhaps this link will work better. I just changed over to English and searched for "Superbit."

Is there anyone here who has the R1 release of either or both JP titles, preferably the better-sounding DTS, as well as the corresponding Superbit Japan titles? If the video is indeed that much better, especially on large screens, and the audio is as good or better, I might spare the extra dinero.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Because I'm such a good guy, here's the list of all 34 Superbit Japan (R2 NTSC) titles I found in my link above.
  • Bad Boys*
  • The Big Hit*+
  • The Bone Collector+
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula*+
  • Charlie's Angels*+
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon*+
  • Desperado*+
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • The Fast and the Furious+
  • A Few Good Men
  • Gattaca*+
  • Gladiator+
  • Glory
  • Hollow Man*+
  • In the Line of Fire
  • Jerry McGuire
  • Jumanji
  • Jurassic Park
  • Jurassic Park: The Lost World
  • Jurassic Park III
  • A Knight's Tale*+
  • The Last Action Hero
  • Legends of the Fall*+
  • Men in Black*+
  • Men in Black II*+
  • The Mummy Returns+
  • Panic Room*
  • The Patriot*+
  • Philadelphia
  • Snatch*+
  • Spiderman
  • Stand By Me
  • Vertical Limit*+
* - Titles also available as R1 (US NTSC) Superbit
+ - Titles also available as R2 (UK PAL) Superbit

If there are any titles missing or incorrect, let me know. I don't know if any of these are "Deluxe," but further research from someone who knows Japanese could help clear that up.

Personally, if we could put this list at the top of the thread, as a kind of FAQ (like the DDEX/dtsES or D-Theater threads), that would make things easier for newcomers. We could use the rest of the thread as discussion.

ETA: Good lord, this thread has got me working:). There's a bunch of UK-only Superbits, in addition to the titles it shares with the US and/or Japan. Perhaps we could change this thread or create a new one on all other-region Superbits? I only know of US, Japan, and UK releases, but if there are ones from France or Germany or what have you, we should include those too. Any takers?

AlexBC

Second Unit
Jesse,

thanks for the corrected link and for provinding this great list;) , I had thought about making one, but I must admit I was kind of lazy to do so.

The list is pretty much correct and complete as far as I can tell, the only caveat is the spelling mistake on "Jerry Maguire".

I could post the list at the top of the thread, since I started it. But I think the best idea is the other one you came up with, to create another thread named "Superbit Worldwide" or something like that to include realeases from all over the world. It would be really great to have a Superbtit much like the now famous DDEX/dtsES or D-Theater threads. Would you be willing to do so? I'd appreciate it very much since I'm already taking care of the Brazil's R4 exclusive releases.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
AAARGH! Well, I just posted the HTF version here , but I guess I'll check out the other list to see if I missed anything. It can't hurt to have a list here, too. Thanks for the heads-up on that one, Mark.

Oooo...their list has tables and stuff. Now I'm envious.

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Japan has released "Movie only" Super Bits so far. No "Deluxes" yet. Here's to hoping.
BTW... I caught a brief look at the Spiderman playing at the AV Festa show in Yokohama last Friday. Looked nice and tempting to pick up but already have a copy of the 2-disc and so many more in line.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
I received the Jurassic Park Superbit from koreandvds yesterday and can say that it did NOT have full rate DTS. Highly disappointing.

But the picture is clearly better and the subs too. No subs for the hearing impaiered nor the jumping kind that Universal always has.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Celebrating our 300th comparison:

Universal- Region 1 - NTSC "Jurassic Park" vs. Columbia Tri-Star (SUPERBIT) Region 2- NTSC

Universal Region 1

Columbia TriStar Japan (SUPERBIT) Region 2 - NTSC

Universal has the rights to Region 1 for Jurassic Park, but Columbia Tri-Star has the rights for Japan. The SUPERBIT is brighter, sharper and has more vibrant colors. There are some compression artifacts in the Region 1 disc noticeable in the grassy scenes on the island. The Universal Region 1 occasionally exhibits a dull greenish tinge. Contrast and black levels of the Columbia Region 2 are rock solid. The SUPERBIT defaults to Japanese subtitles ( and the aggressive DTS track ) so you need to select to remove them and there are no Extras. Those are the only faults I see. The sound gives the choice of DTS AND 5.1 but the big plus is the beautiful film-like appearance. The Region 2 SUPERBIT is the disc to own for those concerned with image quality and have the Home Theater system to back-it-up.

With the celebrating our 300th comparison, I would like to thank all the contributors, who are too numerous to name but are listed in each individual comparison as well as the main page... more importantly they know who they are. There is a real sense of community with many like-minded film/DVD buffs joining forces to create this archive of information. The website is only as good as you make it... and I think you've all done a wonderful job ! I'll toast you all with a large scotch tonight! :)

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

CHEERS !

P.S. One day we'll all laugh that there were such things as DVD "regions". The DVD Forum should be ashamed for strong-arming the world into their regional straitjackets. Don't let them stop you! It's not illegal, no matter what they say

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
First of all, I don´t think the dvdtalk list is correct. I haven´t found Dr. Strangelove on R1 Superbit.

And I must give you a warning. I ordered Dr Strangelove from CDJAPAN and they confirmed that this title has 4:3 aspect ratio. No anamorphic widescreen. I´ve never seen a Superbit title before that didn´t have anamorphic widescreen. Have you?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
What do you want Columbia to do? Crop the top and bottom and COMPLETLY ruin Kubrick's compositions? The fact that Dr. Strangelove is 4:3 is a GOOD thing.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Ok, so it is supposed to be like this? But that means that no Kubrick film is avaliable in anamorphic widescreen?

Is this rather rare, because there should be more "old" films with this aspect ratio? Do they usually crop these films?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Pretty much all Kubrick films are presented in 4:3 on DVD in honor of Kubricks wishes. 2001 was the only Kubrick film that was filmed in 2.35:1 or 2.20:1 which is now presented in anamorphic widescreen on DVD. Cinemascope wasn't introduced until the 50's and all films before that was shot in 1.33:1 or 4:3. Many films after that has also been shot in 1.33:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks