What's new

Superbit Japan (1 Viewer)

AlexBC

Second Unit
Can anyone talk about the audio/video of R2 Japan Superbits?
I'd really like to know how's the quality of some titles released over there that are not available in the U.S. (i.e Few Good Men, Last Action Hero, Philadelphia, Jumanji) and how some Universal Pictures titles that are distributed by Columbia in superbit label over there compare to the U.S releases as well (Jurassic Park 1,2,3, Gladiator, The Mummy Returns, The Fast And The Furious, The Bone Collector). I'd also like to know if the quality of the titles released both R1 and R2 Jpn Superbit is the same (because the R2 jpn packing is so much more classy, nicer artwork and best of all, consistent throughout the whole collection)

Any comments and help is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got most of those listed but have only had time to view Jurassic Park. The PQ is significantly better than the current R1 DTS version!

AlexBC

Second Unit
Thanks Mark. I think I can expect these titles to be about the same quality of the future U.S. releases (the non-Universal Pictures titles of course)
Can you please post some comments about the other titles when you get a chance to see them? I'd really appreciate it.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Yesasia also has them for about $42 and free shipping. That was about the best I could find as a delivered in price into the US.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Jurassic Park should arrive next week. I'll post a review vs the US version (comparing certain scenes) after I get my copy.

Ron

Manus

Second Unit
You're in for a real treat with Jurassic Park.Both picture quality and both soundtracks are dramatically better than previous R1 versions.As regards the packing,it is classy looking but all the printing is in Japanese !
Also ,inside it seems to contain the average bit-rate for both audio and video 7.12 and 8.27 .The only downside to these discs really is they're quite expensive.Also upcoming at cd.japan is a 4-disc version of the recent 'Dances with Wolves' extended edition which contains both Dolby and dts soundtracks.Shocking price though , somewhere over $70.

Regards,
Manus

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I have the Japan R2 Superbit versions of both Jurassic Park and Gladiator. Based upon first impressions, the Gladator is superb in picture quality and much improved over the USA release. Jurassic Park is improved but not to the degree that Gladiator is. The dts sound is at a rather high level.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Many thanks for the replies. I'm really starting to get excited about these discs.

Any more feedbacks are much welcome.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I got my 4 disc Dances With Wolves in satchel yesterday. A little disappointed it wasn't real leather but other than that its very cool.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Jurassic Park features full bitrate dts!!!

I have the DD Region 1 release, is the difference between this and the Jap DTS significant in terms of sound?

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Where did you hear JP was full bitrate dts? All reports I've heard on these titles (not many I must admit) have said that these Japanese Superbit titles follow the same format as the r1 discs, i.e. 754kbps DTS tracks. I hope you are correct!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Read it on dvdforums.com:
English DD 5.1 (448kbps)
English DTS 5.1 (1536kbps)
Japanese DD2.0 (192kbps)

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Japanese Superbit of Last Action Hero a few months ago. Cost me about $50 all together shipped. Here are some screenshots grabbed in PowerDVD:

However, I cannot comment on the sound because I don't have digital out on my computer and I don't have a region-free dvd player.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Justin: are you able to confirm audio/video bitrates for this title? I can give you instructions on how to do so on your pc if needed.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Japanese Superbit - Last Action Hero

Audio: DTS 5.1 (768kbps)
Dolby Digital 5.1 (448kbps)

Checked it using PowerDVD. Damn, was hoping it'd be full bitrate. Oh well. Anybody know how to find an average video bitrate? Since the video bitrate fluctuates it's hard to give an accurate video bitrate. I saw it go from 4mbps to 8mbps from the parts I saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks