What's new

Super Mario Wii (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Less then 1 week away. :) If you get a chance, several places have the version up for you to play and see .. nad IGN has a great write up with videos:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1043474p1.html

Outside of Beatles Rockband, this is my most anticipated title of the year ;)

Charles Knox

Agent
Real Name
jake
I am interested in this game, but I am unable to read the reviews and writeups during my down time. Can you post the gist of the reviews here?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Is there a formula for fun? It certainly appears so; Nintendo has done it again with New Super Mario Bros. Wii – a 'traditional' Super Mario Bros. platformer that's split down the middle for co-operative and counter-operative multiplayer fun. At all times reverent to more than twenty years of Mario platforming, NSMB Wii never feels tired, repetitive or stodgy, which is something of an achievement unto itself. In simple terms, NSMB Wii is refreshing and approachable – something of a trademark for Nintendo's Wii releases.

It's also a blast to play. If you have four Wii remotes, prepare for the best, most entertaining multiplayer experience since Super Smash Bros. Brawl; that's no exaggeration. In all honesty, we were expecting a ho-hum multiplayer experience, given that co-operative platformers like LittleBigPlanet are decent but rarely incredible when played through in that mode. Expectations can be humbling when turned on its head.

However, NSMB Wii absolutely glows with three or four players on screen. Initially, the old truism 'more doesn't necessarily equal better' seems like it might apply to this latest Mario outing – but settling into the game, coming to terms with the new grab and lift mechanic and understanding the need to cooperate from time to time reveals the genius in the details.
That's one summary.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1043698p1.html

Gamespot has another good one. General consensus is whether you play to help each other or piss each other off, it's a blast. I am 100% in. The idea of co-op as well as play against each other gets me, and I love the base game ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Picked up my copy at Walmart about 2 hours ago, and the kids are still at it. This is one of the most addictively fun games.. ever. This is some great stuff.. soundtrack is great, and co-op play is HILARIOUS. Best team modes ever.

The designers of this got every element right.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Got this on sunday and brought it to a friend's house. He, his wife, and I decided to play it after football got boring on TV. We proceeded to play it for 4 hours straight and they want to know when I can bring it over again.

The thing is, my friend isn't that into games and bought a Wii as mostly an impulse (and for his wife). She doesn't like games, besides Wii Fit/Sports, and absolutely loved Mario.

This game is great and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
we've been enjoying this game a great deal. Our family is a nintendo family and we love all the mario games. This one is by far the best!

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I've been enjoying this game as well but keep losing my lives. Any tricks or help on getting up to the maximum 99 lives so I can advance in this game?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you collect 100 coins then you gain an extra life. If you kill like 5 or 6 enemies in a row, same deal. Just keep going until you get to one of the mushroom houses and you can play for extra lives there.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Okay, found a cheat to up my life count. Can't take credit for it, I found it on vimeo...

Might be helpful to others....

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There's much less tedious ways to boost extra lives than what that video shows. You can exchange star coins for in game hint movies about how to rack up 1-Ups. Go to the castle in World One to unlock the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks