What's new

Nintendo announces price and release date for Wii U (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The Wii U will launch in North America on November 18. There will be a “Basic Set” which includes a white Wii U console with 8 GB of internal storage, one white GamePad controller, AC adapters for both the console and controller, a sensor bar and an HDMI cable that will retail for $300. There will also be a Deluxe Set, which includes all of the above hardware in black, only with 32 GB of internal storage, a console stand, a GamePad charging cradle, a GamePad stand, a copy of Nintendo Land and enrollment in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, “which lets Wii U owners receive points for each digital download and redeem those points for future downloadable content from the Nintendo eShop” through 2014. Details on that last one were scarce.
Full article
http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/nintendo-reveals-wii-u-price-release-date-launch-window-games-and-tvii-is-it-overpriced-do-you-need-one.html/
I would get it for Super Mario and Zelda and maybe a few other titles.
But with everything coming out near this time, I'm afraid it would be ignored.
I'll wait for reviews, but even then I might just wait.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd order it right now if Amazon listed it. They don't directly sell any Nintendo hardware right now, so I hope I don't get screwed by waiting to see. I'd rather get from them than Gamestop.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Best Buy does have both the white 8Gb ($299) and the black deluxe 32Gb ($349) available for pre-order.

What I don't get is why Nintendo is not including any Wii controllers, and only the GamePad, for both versions, and why NintendoLand is NOT included with the 8Gb version.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of possible reasons for the cheaper configuration, but my guess is that they want to say "Starting at under $300!" in commercials.
I'm sold on the $350 unit. The black will go with my Kinect-gen 360 and original-gen PS3 under my TV. I just want to be able to pick it up from Best Buy that day/midnight. Can you preorder online and ensure pickup like that?
Something I read about today that is VERY IMPORTANT to note: you can transfer everything from your Wii to your Wii U wirelessly but you will need to have both set up, turned on, and connected to the internet to do so. If you want to get a Wii U and move stuff, HOLD ON TO YOUR WII!!! (Haha kind of funny to say it like that.)
They're not included Wii remotes because that would just drive up the cost and there's no point since, as they pointed out, they've sold 100 million Wii Remotes already. I love that they're still using last-gen's control device (and cables) because that means it's all cheaper now and easier to stock up on, if you haven't already, or at least easier to replace. There are no GamePad's available by themselves because no software supports it and it's probably a pain to mass-produce a bunch of extra ones on top of the bundles.
What's interesting is that the US bundles have a sensor bar but the Japanese ones don't (since everyone has one already). Their assumption that most people already have a Wii is probably good enough for the launch because, really, only people who have and liked a Wii will be buying a Wii U this holiday.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just went through the process at bestbuy.com and you can opt to pick it up at the store. I just don't know whether to hold out and hope Amazon fulfills the orders themselves and risk missing out altogether, or if I should just go for BB.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I find that a bit odd, since at E3 Nintendo proudly mentioned that the WiiU could support up to 2 GamePad controllers.

Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley /t/323738/nintendo-announces-price-and-release-date-for-wii-u#post_3975212
There are no GamePad's available by themselves because no software supports it and it's probably a pain to mass-produce a bunch of extra ones on top of the bundles.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The console is technically capable of supporting 2 GamePads but no games at launch will support it. I think they implemented the ability a bit late and want to delay it a little so that people get used to the idea of having the GamePad before they try to convince them to buy another one for $150. That said, they announced that they will be able to replace broken GamePads through their service call helpline if you happen to run into any problems, though it will be for a fee and I'd guess you need to return the broken one (though the warranty doesn't cover you breaking it, only units that are malfunctional).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Morgan Jolley said:
The console is technically capable of supporting 2 GamePads but no games at launch will support it. I think they implemented the ability a bit late and want to delay it a little so that people get used to the idea of having the GamePad before they try to convince them to buy another one for $150. That said, they announced that they will be able to replace broken GamePads through their service call helpline if you happen to run into any problems, though it will be for a fee and I'd guess you need to return the broken one (though the warranty doesn't cover you breaking it, only units that are malfunctional).
How can New Super Mario Bros. U not support 2 gamepads?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well....it just doesn't. Honestly, looking at how they're implementing the GamePads with NSMBU and Rayman Legends, I don't know if having 2 would really make the game better. The fact that the console has to render the image for the TV and the GamePad already, adding another GamePad would mean changing how the game works entirely.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ahh crap. After being really busy this weekend, I seem to have missed out on the Wii U preorders. Everywhere seems to be out of stock, except for the 8GB standard console at one or two places. Was hoping to get one for Best Buy and just pick it up at midnight but oh well.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm glad I went ahead and ordered from Best Buy on Friday, then. I'd been planning my Amazon order since the system was announced at E3 2011, but apparently they don't plan to personally stock Nintendo systems.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Greg_S_H said:
I'm glad I went ahead and ordered from Best Buy on Friday, then. I'd been planning my Amazon order since the system was announced at E3 2011, but apparently they don't plan to personally stock Nintendo systems.
Does anyone know the reason why?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Sold out like mad everywhere. How many of those are eBay-flippers? Pretty much all the good games on launch-day are/were/will be available on other systems, excluding Rayman**.
If it gets an ambassador-sized price-cut in the next year, maybe I'll bite, but my fall spending-money is going to Forza, Dishonored, Asscreed 3, X-Com, and possibly Hitman. Hell, if I want Scribblenauts action, there's always the iPad app. At least maybe THQ can salvage their uDraw disaster for the next-gen platform.
If Nintendo can get on the ball with third-party quality control, I think they can still rock it with the big boys. It's fine to be a kids/family system -- they just need to have more Boom Blox, and less random shovelware.
I don't think they'll ever recapture the hardcore market, and that's fine. The world doesn't need another Xbox or Playstation. Microsoft and Sony already have those two bases covered quite nicely at this point.
** ZombieU hasn't impressed me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No. I know they had some problems with the 3DS, and it seems like that was the turning point in them carrying Nintendo systems. They never stocked the 3DS XL. I don't think they've ever publicly acknowledged a problem with Nintendo, but if you search for Wii U games, they throw up a suggestion that you buy a 360 or PS3.
As for me, I'm a fan of Nintendo IPs and that guaranteed a sale. I am pretty confident they will have GTA V and then they'll roll along with all the major third-party games. I'll be fine foregoing my 360 for the Wii U versions, and I'm hopeful I can buy MLB.tv and view it on Nintendo TV without having to spring for a gold account like on the 360 (to clarify, Nintendo's front end is free--it just comes down to whether or not MLB makes a deal to appear on the system, which they should).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
joshEH said:
Sold out like mad everywhere. How many of those are eBay-flippers? Pretty much all the good games on launch-day are/were/will be available on other systems, excluding Rayman**.
If it gets an ambassador-sized price-cut in the next year, maybe I'll bite, but my fall spending-money is going to Forza, Dishonored, Asscreed 3, X-Com, and possibly Hitman. Hell, if I want Scribblenauts action, there's always the iPad app. At least maybe THQ can salvage their uDraw disaster for the next-gen platform.
If Nintendo can get on the ball with third-party quality control, I think they can still rock it with the big boys. It's fine to be a kids/family system -- they just need to have more Boom Blox, and less random shovelware.
I don't think they'll ever recapture the hardcore market, and that's fine. The world doesn't need another Xbox or Playstation. Microsoft and Sony already have those two bases covered quite nicely at this point.
** ZombieU hasn't impressed me.
I'm with you. There's just too many games coming out this season and begining of next year.
Borderlands 2, Resident Evil 6, Black ops II, Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Vita, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Aliens, GTA V and Remember Me.
Plus all the huge blu-rays coming out.
And there is the rumor of a next gen Xbox and PS4.
and the thing with Zombie U, I think it will end up being disappointing like that one Wii sword slash game that got a lot of hype and ended being a huge dud.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Any next-gen consoles from Sony or MS won't be out until next fall at the earliest. Personally, I think the PS3 is still plenty powerful and would like to see the current gen extended another year or more before they even announce what's coming up.
I tend to wait for games to get cheap or I buy used, so all the big fall releases mean little to me until next spring or summer. That said, I'm not sure what I'd pick up with a Wii U at launch. I'll have to see what's out and what I expect to remain expensive for a while or be worth buying right away.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam Posten said:
At that price you will be able to get one in store on day 1.
Wii U preorders appear to be pretty slim according to the folks at Q23, but the demo station actually had me rethinking my initial decision to pass.
Here's the make or break part for me: Can I buy ALL retail games day and date on the Nintendo Network?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Here's a list Sam of when stuff drops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

I admit, I watched the trailer for Tekken Tag Tournament on a WiiU kiosk the other day and thought it was some of the better graphics presentation I've seen on any console.

But I admit, this is the game that will probably make me buy a WiiU

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks