What's new

Super Mario Bros DS. New Mario 2D Platformer for the DS (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Anyone else looking forward to Mario's return in a 2D Platformer?

I loved Mario 3 and Mario World. I believe the last Mario 2D Platformer was in 1993 when Mario Land 2 was released for Gameboy.

The 3D games such as Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine just didn't do much for me at all. I don't know why, but I just don't care for them and never really did. This will be a DS game. And yes, there are too many Mario titles. But, I do look forward to playing a classic type Mario game again.

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait. With the PSP and DS out now though and all the new consoles I just really hope 2d gaming isn't phased out completely. The NES and SNES are still two of my favorite consoles.

The above game, new castlevania, Star Wars beatem up, etc.. are all reasons I really have to get a DS now lol. Before I just looked at it as ports of n64 games :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Looks great, but from the sound of things there really doesn't seem to be anything that's "DS" specific to it (i.e. no real use of the touch screen/double screen etc). Still, if this is the evolution of the GBA, then picking up one of these is inevitable.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'll tell ya what I'm looking toward (and will likely never see) - a 2D Castlevania on the PSP. I know they sold well on the GBA, however, I'd love to see one with updated graphics on that beautiful screen!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's what they say, but it's a new portable system that's getting most of the high profile game development attention these days. Officially, they're referring to it as a "third pillar" but it really seems to be more of a half-step to the next GBA-especailly when you get into games that don't really make much use out of the double screen/touch screen aspects of the system. Look at the upcoming releases for both systems-there's not a lot of high profile GBA releases on there, but the DS is finally starting to get some attention.

What'll be interesting is to see what happens when a new handheld platform is announced-that's when we'll see if the DS' "unique" features make it a real viable third option, or whether it moves quickly into obscurity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks