Suggestions on budget speaker system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_L_C, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I know this question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a good match Anyway I'm trying to help a friend get setup with a HT (budget/entry-level) system. I sold him a yamaha 5440 and he has a what seems to be a decent samsung DVD and a older but still nice 36" Toshiba. Need Suggestons an a complete speaker package in the $600 range maybe a little more if i can convence him he needs it.

also would be helpfull it like Bestbuy, Circuit City, or Fry's carried them. he would like to buy from a local store.

Thanks

Greg

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hmmm...if he wants a local purchase, I dunno...but you could try to get the Energy Take 5.2.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

At BB, the JBL NSP1 plus a sub.
    [​IMG]

4. Greg_L_C

I read on this forum, or maybe at audioreview that some of the JBL N-series have shielding problems? anyone heard of this?

5. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Greg, do your friend a fovor and check out the Paradigm Cinema Series. The sat's are $150/pr, the center is $110. Match these up with a PDR-8 or PDR-10 sub, and you get a complete Paradigm speaker system for under $700.

6. Greg_L_C

Thanks to those that responed, Well probably go with some of the JBL N-series or the Polk RM6200, both packages are avalible at either BB or CC. I would like to look at Paradigm some time for myself.

Thanks

7. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

I saw a decent looking polk speaker set in either a BB or a CC ad today, forgot which one. Included an 8" sub.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The sattelites in the RM6200 are too small. Any tiny speaker that does not cover below around 80Hz (in general) are not going to cut it in my book. Too much overlap for the sub to cover.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You might want to check out the speaker face-off at www.cheaphometheater.com . This site specalizes in low-cost home theater equipment reviews. The Swan Diva's are well reguarded, but you cannot audition them first.

11. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I auditioned the NSP1s at bestbuy and they sounded pretty good.

Check out the Yamaha subs, they are very small for conserving space and can put out a suprisingly amount of bass.

The Sony and Bose systems were ok, but I liked the JBL brand speakers the best (Particularly the S38ii). I also listened to paradigm studio 100s and Martin Logan Odysseys the other day... jeeze, were those nice in every aspect.

12. Greg_L_C

Thanks for all the posts

We went looking today and the Polks at CC sounded good for music but the sub with the package didn't impress me at all, but you get what you pay for. BB sound room just plain sucks hard to tell how things sound there with all the noise from the kids playing Playstation in the background. will probably go back tomarrow and just pick up some of the NSP's and take them home for a test drive.

Thanks