What's new

Suggestions on budget speaker system (1 Viewer)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I know this question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a good match Anyway I'm trying to help a friend get setup with a HT (budget/entry-level) system. I sold him a yamaha 5440 and he has a what seems to be a decent samsung DVD and a older but still nice 36" Toshiba. Need Suggestons an a complete speaker package in the $600 range maybe a little more if i can convence him he needs it.

also would be helpfull it like Bestbuy, Circuit City, or Fry's carried them. he would like to buy from a local store.

Thanks

Greg

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hmmm...if he wants a local purchase, I dunno...but you could try to get the Energy Take 5.2.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I read on this forum, or maybe at audioreview that some of the JBL N-series have shielding problems? anyone heard of this?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Greg, do your friend a fovor and check out the Paradigm Cinema Series. The sat's are $150/pr, the center is $110. Match these up with a PDR-8 or PDR-10 sub, and you get a complete Paradigm speaker system for under $700.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to those that responed, Well probably go with some of the JBL N-series or the Polk RM6200, both packages are avalible at either BB or CC. I would like to look at Paradigm some time for myself.

Thanks

Pat K

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a decent looking polk speaker set in either a BB or a CC ad today, forgot which one. Included an 8" sub.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
...N-series have shielding problems? anyone heard of this?
I've heard about it last year, which to me, indicated that some production HT package kits were built without the proper shielded speakers.
Today, if there is a shielding problem, you could get another set @ the place of purchase (i.e. BestBuy) or contact JBL customer service, and they will handle the problem.
I received my JBL NSP1's on Apr/May 2000, and placed the N-Center directly on top of my Toshiba CX35D60 35-inch direct-view TV with no problems.
The JBL NSP1 / NSP1 Mark II represents the best budget price HT Set w/overachieving performance - documented by consumers and professional reviewers alike. It's particular hallmarks in it's price point;
1) Extremely flat & wide frequency response - outstanding midrange.
Sound & Vision IN THE LAB by Tom Nousaine
N-24 front left/right... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center................ 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround........... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
2) Ease with blending with any sub of choice - including the highly sought after SVS (no mid/lower bass holes)
Yamaha fixed sub crossover is 90 Hz - a perfect match to the usable documented lower frequency NSP1 89Hz.
3) Cinema Theater Dynamic Playback SPL (w/sub - reach 106+ dB SPL fast peaks without fear of blowing a driver - ex. "Tomorrow Never Dies / SE" opening terrorist depot chaos / destruction)
For more JBL NSP1 INFO & Reviews w/links, see my web page Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!.
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The sattelites in the RM6200 are too small. Any tiny speaker that does not cover below around 80Hz (in general) are not going to cut it in my book. Too much overlap for the sub to cover.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I auditioned the NSP1s at bestbuy and they sounded pretty good.

Check out the Yamaha subs, they are very small for conserving space and can put out a suprisingly amount of bass.

The Sony and Bose systems were ok, but I liked the JBL brand speakers the best (Particularly the S38ii). I also listened to paradigm studio 100s and Martin Logan Odysseys the other day... jeeze, were those nice in every aspect.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the posts

We went looking today and the Polks at CC sounded good for music but the sub with the package didn't impress me at all, but you get what you pay for. BB sound room just plain sucks hard to tell how things sound there with all the noise from the kids playing Playstation in the background. will probably go back tomarrow and just pick up some of the NSP's and take them home for a test drive.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks