What's new

Subwoofers for apartments, second floor (1 Viewer)

Daniel Hawl

Agent
okay, i ordered a ksw12 yesterday, but Now I'm thinking that I Want something that won't make my downstairs neighbors kill me seeing as how I live in the upper level of an apartment building. THe only problem is that my placement areas are not good. THe only spot I have for a sub is right next to the couch I am going to be viewing movies from, there is nowhere else to put a sub.

What can i do?

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Any sub will (can) annoy your neighbors, unless you keep the volume level low. I recommend buying whichever sub you like best, and keeping the sub volume low until you can move into a larger space.

Daniel Hawl

Agent
will a downfiring sub be twice as bad at the same volume?

I really want to get an svs so I don't have to upgrade when and if I get a house, but not if a front firing will annoy them half as much at the same volume

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I suspect that there won't be much difference between similar front-firing and downfiring subs at the same volume. I've never directly compared the two types, however, so hopefully someone else with more experience can help.

If the floor is wood then you might wish to experiment with placing one or more pieces of thick/heavy carpet under the subwoofer. That should reduce the coupling between the sub and the floor. It won't stop transmission of bass frequencies through the floor, but it may lessen floor vibrations by a small amount. If it's a concrete floor, then this shouldn't be necessary.

You could also send your question to SVS -- they'll very likely give you good advice, even if it's a recommendation to not purchase from them.

(I'm surprised that no one else has commented on this thread...)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I also live in a apartment on the second floor. I also work second shift so I watch movies really late. SUCKS! I have the Sony WM40(modded). I usually use the Midnight mode on my receiver. I also turn my sub off and set my speakers to LARGE. That helps out a little, if your speakers can handle it. Depends on the movie. I haven't had any complaints in the 2 years that I've lived there. I just try to listen at a normal volume.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I've got a front firing Energy (EXL-S8) sub that sits on its own rubber feet on a carpeted floor and I rarely get complaints on it I live 3rd (top)floor in my building. the only complaints I've ever recieved about it are the people next to me on one occasion.

Here's the ironic part, I've got a Creative Labs 5.1 speaker system for my computer and the sub for it is a 15 watt 4" ported sub it sits directly on the floor and I've recieved like 5 complaints from my downstairs neighbor about it, yet I never turn it up let alone as loud as my Energy sub in the living room:) I dont get it!:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks