What's new

Drastically diminished subwoofer performance, cant figure out why, please help (1 Viewer)

bomt697

Auditioning
Real Name
Manoj
I recently upgrade my HT setup and moved my old equipment into a computer / game room.
After setting everything up I am getting very low amts of bass output from the sub that use to be my main sub for 3 years (and was very happy how it performed)

My subwoofer (monoprice monolith 10") + marantz sr5013 AVR
-connected via RCA, tried both sub output 1 and 2 on AVR and tried both line input 1 and 2 on sub
-speakers set to small
-crossover at 80Hz both on AVR and Sub
-bass set to LFE on AVR
-subwoofer level titrated up to +2 and subwoofer needs to be cracked up to 1-2 o'clock to get any type of bass output (but still very low overall)
-tried phase from 0 to 180
-tried different RCA and power cables

I've conducted a sub crawl (while sub placed in my MLP)
Tried 4 different spot and still could not get good bass

Room is fully closed, 15' x 10' x 8' 1200 cubic feet, walls are drywall, floor is carpet-->floor board-->concrete
Sitting distance to sub is on average 6' (from all positions tried)

What's strange is:
-I tried my HSU VTF-3 MK5 sub in there and also same poor results
-I tried a Jamo J10 sub and its producing TONS of base with the same AVR / placement setup with the same RCA cable
-I know the monoprice sub works bc its works very well when connected to my BlueSound node 2i (vol at 10 o'clock)

Completely out of ideas as how to fix this issue.
Any ideas on what the underlying problem is and how to fix it?
Thanks!!

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Just a guess here, but can you bypass the crossover at either the AVR or the sub? Maybe having both in play is cutting too much out?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, the crossover on the sub should be bypassed entirely, if possible, or set to the highest frequency. What you have going on now is called "cascading crossovers" and causes al sorts of problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks