What's new

Finally Got My New RBH R55Ti 5.1 System w/SVS PB 1000 and Need Some Help w/Setup (1 Viewer)

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Hi everyone,

I had a couple of other threads when I had the Pioneer AJ 5.1 System and was recommended to go with this system.

It consists of the RBH/Emptek R55ti Tower Speakers, their big Channel speaker, and bookshelf speakers. I also ordered the PB 1000 from SVS.

First off, I want to say that the Speakers sound fantastic, I just really need to know what settings I need to have on and what can be improved on.

The main issue so far is the Sub. I took the advice from another member and set the gain to 12'oclock, the crossover all the way to the right, and kept the degree setting at 0.

Then I used Audyssey to configure it and viewed the result. The final result was -.5 decibels. He mentioned it just need to be within the 0 to -8 decibels so this falls into that. So I left the subwoofer alone and went into the manual settings inside Audyssey and bumped it up to +4db on the receiver. Is this correct?

I have to crank the volume of the receiver up to -9db to start hearing the sub and it sounds really weak compared to the little 8" AJ sub, the 8" DT cube 2000, and 12" klipsch. I think there is a setting off because this was supposed to be a better sub than all of the above and it is front firing, which is better for my apartment.

So we watched Batman Begins last night which I had to manually select Dolby True HD (5.1 DD was the default).

We had the receiver cranked up to -9db and the sound was great out of the speakers, but not much was coming out of the subwoofer. We also adjusted the "dialogue level" up to like 8 or 9 db so we could hear the words as clearly as possible.

Should you have to listen to a movie at -9db to really feel the system working? I thought we could keep it at much less and really feel it, but if it has to be up this loud, that's fine too. I'm sure the speakers can handle it.. I just do not know much about these surround sound systems since I've always owned Soundbars.

Keep in mind, I live in a 700 square feet apartment on the second floor so it is not a big place by any means.

Is there any other settings I need to check as well? I saw there is something called Dynamic Volume and a lot of other settings in Audyssey.

The receiver is the 2015 X-1200w which is a 7.2 channel receiver with Audyssey Silver.

Thanks of any feedback!

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
What did you bump up "to +4"?

What crossover is everything set?
Hey, I changed the subwoofer level under manual settings in the receiver when I click on Audyssey and then click on "test tone." Then it shows what all of the levels are set at. I bumped up the sub, which was at -.5 to +3db. I haven't messed with the sub at all. It is just at the 12 o'clock position.

I changed all of the crossovers to 80hz on all speakers within Audyssey. It set it a little lower but manually changed it as I was advised to do so when I had my Pioneer AJ series so I figured it was the same for this setup.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You wasted your money on those towers if you don't drop them down to 40hz.

It is possible(highly likely) you aren't used to properly set bass.

Regarding the -9 volume...

I listen to broadcast anywhere from -20 to -15. BD(which is ALWAYS reference) is anywhere from -12 to -5.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
You wasted your money on those towers if you don't drop them down to 40hz.

It is possible(highly likely) you aren't used to properly set bass.
Do I set all speakers to 40hz crossover or just the two Towers? If you feel the sub while the movie is playing it doesn't even feel like anything is coming out. It's very subtle.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What content are you listening to?

Just the towers. The owners manual tells you the -3 of your speakers. Set all the crossovers at, or the next setting up.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
What content are you listening to?

Just the towers. The owners manual tells you the -3 of your speakers. Set all the crossovers at, or the next setting up.
We only watch blu rays on the home theater setup. What do you mean -3 of my speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
iStorm said:
We only watch blu rays on the home theater setup. What do you mean -3 of my speakers?
In the specs for the speakers.

-3 will be 40hz for the towers. Has the same spec for the bookshelves and center.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
iStorm said:

-3 will be 40hz for the towers. Has the same spec for the bookshelves and center.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
In case you can't figure out your owners manual...

Towers -3 is 40.
Center(r56??) is 50.
Bookshelf is 60.
schan1269 said:

So it would be fine to set all of the crossovers to 40hz despite what the manuals say? I didn't see manuals in the boxes. I'll have to empty the boxes and see. Is the subwoofer okay at staying at 12 o'clock and with Audssey saying -.5? Then bumping it up to 4dbs?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, you set the sets of speakers NO LOWER than their -3.

Denon shouldn't allow anything lower than 80 for the sub itself.

If RBH didn't include manuals, they are online(which is where I found the specs)

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
No, you set the sets of speakers NO LOWER than their -3.

Denon shouldn't allow anything lower than 80 for the sub itself.

If RBH didn't include manuals, they are online(which is where I found the specs)
I meant 40hz for everything but the subwoofer. Sorry about that. Or should I do the 40hz for the towers and the other specs you mentioned for the center and bookshelves?

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
Yes, use the specs I found online.
Okay, great. I was also advised that the PB 1000 is really flat and that the PB 2000 or something else might be better suited for blu ray watching.

Also people seem to be setting this sub up at 2 o'clock and then making it -10dB within the receiver. Your thoughts on this?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
12 o'clock and -.5 on the AVR is probably the same thing as 2 and -10.

See, if you raise one, you drop the other a commiserate amount.

It is called...

Calibration.

That is why you (are supposed) run Audyssey...

And leave it alone.

I always attempt to set the subwoofer wherever it takes to get to +/-2 in the AVR. You were already there.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
In case you can't figure out your owners manual...

Towers -3 is 40.
Center(r56??) is 50.
Bookshelf is 60.
There is no option to set the center to 50? Only 40, 60, 80, 100

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
iStorm said:
There is no option to set the center to 50? Only 40, 60, 80, 100
My opinion...

Towers set 40. Center/surrounds 60(since you don't have 50. There aren't many AVR/prepro offering 50 anyway).

Subwoofer at 120. Subwoofer, in my opinion, should be ENTIRELY responsible for the .1 content. BD is "brickwalled" at 120Hz.

If you set it lower(play around. It is your equipment, your room...and most importantly, your ears)...this is what happens...

With the fronts set 40. Anything in that channel under 40 is passed to the sub. Same thing with center/rear at 60.

Sub(or LFE) content is NEVER higher than 120. So, if you set it 80, then over that...is passed to the towers and center/rear. If set 120...the subwoofer always handles the .1.

For future reference(you say you only play BD...so this won't apply to you very often...) with the towers set 40, 2.0 material won't have the much for the sub to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gyao