What's new

Subwoofer next to direct-view, bad idea? (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I was just wondering if putting a sub next to a TV is detrimental to the TV's health? I ask because of placement. I'm using a Sony SAWM40 by the way.
I had the sub about a yard away from the TV at first, but to the right of the sub is a little "entryway" into my room where the door is (caused by the closet space sticking into the room). I don't know if that was the problem, but I was hearing the bass rather prominantly on the left side of the room, in fact, I could detect the line along the floor where it stopped vibrating with the bass, like there was an imaginary wall there or something.
I then moved the sub directly behind my sitting position but now I can tell that its behind me. So I was thinking of trying it near the original position but pulled farther away from the entryway crevice to see if that helped, but that would put it right against the TV stand, right under the TV and I was just afraid something might rattle loose or something.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
The only damage it could do is distort the picture, due to magnetic intereference. If your TV starts to show funky colors when the sub is nearby, move the sub farther away.
Jeff Peake

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Yeah, I was mainly wondering about vibrations on the CRT and stuff like that. I dunno, I just don't think there's a good place to put the sub in my room so I'm going to have to just find somewhere I can stand to keep it I guess :)

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Sean,
I have the Sony positioned less than 1/2" from the left side of my RCA 48" RPTV; no video distortion (shielding), no problems with low freq vibrations. If I stick to my current plan, there will be another Sony on the right side before the new year, same spacing. As always, experiment.
biggrin.gif

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Cool, so if it doesn't affect the TV I'd assume it's safe next to a receiver as well? I know, I'm paranoid :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
A friend of mine didn't have room for his sub (his set-up was in his bedroom), so he put it in the closet. It was kinda weird-funky. It made his HT sound a little like a car stereo with the sub in the trunk. Not the best idea, but it fit his situation.
------------------
Yes, but are they high-quality balloons? ~ David Letterman
bandit.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks