1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer Hum

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harold A, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to run a BIC DV-1210 subwoofer in my system. The probelm is the sub hums pretty badly when turned on. It has done this since I got it. At first I did not care becuase it was behind my TV. Now I am running a sealed shiva behind my tv and this sub will be solely for my rear speakers which means it is close to me I can hear the hum. My shiva is driven with the AVA-250 amp from Adire with a cheater plug on it and there it no hum. The BIC only has a 2 prong cord. Is there anything I can do to eliminate the hum? I have moved since I owned it and it has done it both places.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I have tried several things just to let you guys know. I have unplugged the cable unplugged all my other components, lights and all that stuff. Can it be that it is just such a crappy sub it is going to hum no matter what?

3. Mark Wylie

Mark Wylie Auditioning

Hmmm
    Just a wild ass guess. Your plugs and sockets are polarized? If not, have you tried turning the plug over? Is the hum a 60 cycle hum? Have you tried to run a ground to say your cold water inlet? Do you have any dimmers in the room? They can induce hum. If the noise is at sixty cycles then you have a grounding problem. Is this an active sub? If it's not 60 cycle hum then perhaps you have an amp problem.
    Mark