What's new

Sub upgrade- sealed or ported for music (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I currently have a KSW12 sub that I would like to upgrade for 80% music listening. I can probably get around $200 for the sub and would like to try a DIY Adire project. I'm looking at the SHIVA and Tempest. Space IS a concern so the box cannot be over 4cubes. Should I seal up a Shiva or Tempest or just port the Shiva? What would you guys suggest? I don't think I will need extension too much below 30hz since this is for music.I was thinking either a Tempest in a 4cube box or the Shiva in a 2.5-3.0 cube box.
Thanks and all opinions welcome!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well for music listening I'd go with a 3.5ft^3 sealed or a 5ft^3 vented (tuned to 18hz or lower) Shiva. Tempest would be 7-8ft^3 sealed and 10ft^3 or more vented (again tuned to 18hz or lower).

KyleGS

Second Unit
Is it normal to tune that low for music? Wouldn't that peak at around 25hz? Most music (rock, etc) will not have musical program under 30hz correct? Sorry for all the questions :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
When you tune low you push the group delay increase associated with a port down lower. Tuning that low will get the group delay increase out of the range you will use for music. Most people just find the low tune to sound better (ie a vented EBS allignment will sound very similar to a low Q sealed). Plus when you do do some movie watching you'll have the benefits the port provides (playing the last octave louder with less cone movement).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree with Dustin. Most of the "boominess" associated with many of the ported commerical subs is the fact that size is always an issue. Therefore it's physically impossible to tune much lower than 27-30Hz in the smaller enclosures.

Another option since size is an issue, is the Dayton DVC 12" and 15" drivers. They're both similar to Shiva and Tempest (basically clones) but you can achieve the same sealed box Qtc in a smaller enclosure.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks