What's new

Sub placement question ?? (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
I have my sub NEXT to the TV and it seems to be working great. There is room BEHIND the TV but it would be cramped, is it worth the effort to move it back there? would the sound . . . .get out??

it sounds good now so it's not totally necessary.

Opinions?

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
If it sounds great then leave it. It looks like it is already next to one wall so you get some reinforcement. It does look like it would be cramped behind the TV. The sound would get out however. Basically you will gain SPL. So if you find that you want more SPL or that it is struggling then you should try it out. My sub, not an SVS is not in a corner either. If I really wanted to I could do it, but like you it would be a tight fit and I would have a hard time getting to it. Mine sounds fine where it is. I would say just leave it. But if you are losing sleep, then just take a few hours and test it out. You may not even like the way it sounds.
Mike D

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
My ONLY SMALL concern is it sounds likethe bass is coming slightly from the left instead of middle. However - I'm sure it is only me that hears this and I'm not really bothered by it that much.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Well if that is the case then maybe you can play with the cross over and or phase control a little to see if that changes any thing.
Mike D

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Brian,

Please remove the gear list from your sig... I have done so already in this thread. It's against our rules, and causes problems with searches..

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I agree if it sounds good then thats a great start. The question I kept asking was can it sound better if I move it elsewhere? Warning it may open a can of worms.:D

You need lots of time, lots of patience, an spl meter, warble/sine tones and pen/paper. These are your best friends for fine tuning positioning. Initially with setting up my VTF subwoofer I used a long power and interconnect cable so that I was able to start in one corner and work my way right along the front wall. Then I moved and recorded each position along the side walls. In the end I settled for 1/4 along one side wall, as putting it in the corner excited the room modes too much. It took a while to find a balance but was worth it.

PC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks