What's new

Help with existing system (1 Viewer)

ivanfernandez80

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan Fernandez
Hi

New to the site , we recently moved home and the new place has three mk speakers on the wall (pictures below ) .

On the bottom side of the wall it has three black and red inputs that look like 6.35 (rcas couldn’t fit ) - need to get a pic and post

In terms of placemat Two of the speakers are around where the tv is but one is just opposite on the left wall ..

A few questions .

Judging from the fact that there are three speakers and the odd placement , what kind of system this seems to be ? I would have thought 2.1 but not sub ..

Any idea what the speakers are from the pics and sound output ?

Does that system needs an amplifier to be tested or a straight 3.5 to two 6.35 should work just fit testing purposes ..

What is the optimum way to reset up / create a new system based on the cable locations etc

Any other suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

Ivan .
C17D71D9-7E13-4943-A8F4-A816037BC2CA.jpeg

Attachments

• AB80D14C-7D49-4FE3-BF79-594E255E3BDE.jpeg
    AB80D14C-7D49-4FE3-BF79-594E255E3BDE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi

New to the site , we recently moved home and the new place has three mk speakers on the wall (pictures below ) .

On the bottom side of the wall it has three black and red inputs that look like 6.35 (rcas couldn’t fit ) - need to get a pic and post

Does that system needs an amplifier to be tested or a straight 3.5 to two 6.35 should work just fit testing purposes ..
I don't understand this terminology. I've never heard it before. Is it possible they are standard banana plugs? We need photos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I realize now you’re referring to 3.5mm and 6.5mm connections. I suspect they are standard banana plugs, which is the standard for home installations.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome!

Like the other John, I also suspect these are standard banana plugs. If so they should look something like this. Are there three pairs of connectors or just three total?

1672278830512.png

In terms of placemat Two of the speakers are around where the tv is but one is just opposite on the left wall ..
I'd guess these are just the speakers the previous owners chose to leave behind. I wouldn't infer anything from them based on current placement. To test them you'll either need to connect a device capable of high [speaker] level output or remove them from the wall and test with a multimeter.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This is probably what you’re talking about (picture below). They are jacks for banana plugs, which are used for speaker connections. Most AVRs and many speakers have a version of these.

The location where the connectors are is where the previous owner had an AVR located. Typically the front left, right and center-channel speakers would be connected directly to the AVR, and speaker cables from the AVR would plug into the wall panel, providing power for the rear surround speakers that are hanging on the wall. The three rear speakers indicate a 6.1 system.

The “optimum” set up would be to orient the TV and furnishings to fully utilize the current speaker placement as rear-channel speakers. The TV and AVR would be located on the wall where the jack panel is. A diagram showing the speaker and jack panel locations would be helpful.

The speakers are Miller & Kreisel – well regarded, high-end stuff.

Love the crown molding, by the way…

iu

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If those are the connectors, you just use regular speaker wire with ends like THIS attached. That's just one example. There are many brands.

ivanfernandez80

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan Fernandez
Hey everyone , thanks so much for the replies ,

Firstly slight correction on the speaker placement that I described

In terms of placement, Two of the speakers are on the left wall from where the is located tv and one at the wall on the right opposite from the tv , so can’t figure the setup exactly because in the most picture that I look the speakers normally sit on the same wall that the tv is left and right .. maybe their tv was in the different place but the window is there so between the two speakers do very strange imo

You guys are bang on these are indeed , “banana plugs “ bought two connectors and plugged in so if I wanted to plug any system in I will need an AVR ? Shall I change the orientation of the speakers / add more or buy new that can accommodate the placement ?

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• C6643E52-B297-4D75-9DDF-DB5B336B1366.jpeg
    C6643E52-B297-4D75-9DDF-DB5B336B1366.jpeg
    800.2 KB · Views: 37
  • D1C17E4D-345F-47ED-8278-7F9A3FBB7090.jpeg
    D1C17E4D-345F-47ED-8278-7F9A3FBB7090.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The speakers may have been used for height channels, although their placement is less than ideal and I'd expect to see a 4th one to complete the "square." As suggested before, I suspect the previous owners had either standalone towers or a sound bar for front channels and took those with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks