What's new

Sub Decisions (1 Viewer)

WarrenS

Auditioning
Hello everyone,
I need your educated opinions. I'm currently in the process of creating a 5.1 system for myself (minus the center due to lack of funds). My system will be powered by my Yamaha 596 (100w per channel). Now that I've decided on Paradigms for my front, Monitor 7 and rears, Mini Monitors, I can't figure out what sub to get.
I've been debating on the 10" from Paradigm or the 10" from Def Tech, which has 250 watt's??? This would be an $85 difference.
I understand there may some opinion of my front and rear selection... I'll take those as well:)
Thanks for the help!!!!

WarrenS

Auditioning
The Paradigm is the PDR-10 and the Def Tech is ProSub 100TL. I like to to keep it around $300, as the PDR is $310. But, if a sub like the 100TL is worth the extra $85, I might be willing to empty my pocket.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
If you have something to power it with, I'd skip both of them and get one of the SVS CS series of subs. If not, the Adire Audio Rava may be the one for you. IMO, the PDR-10 and ProSub 100TL are not in the same league as the other two.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

Skip the cheap sub and buy a nice center channel speaker. That will make more of a difference while watching a movie anyway.

Just my opinion.

Thanks,

Jeff

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Warren. For $425.00 you can get a custom sub at Acoustic-Visons.com. They use high quality parts from a variety of sources and is one way that I can truly say that you get more bang for the buck in regards to performance and build quality. See my review of the Acoustic-Visons.com Dayton Sub in HT hardware.
Here's a link to the site: Link Removed

John-J

Auditioning
Warren,

I've had a ProSub 100tl for about a year and could not be happier. This sub does not get much airplay on this forum but after listening to quite a few other pieces before purchasing, it sounded the best to me. As suggested in another post though, you should think hard about going for the center channel instead of the sub. For HT, it is a better first investment. The best solution might be to find a dealer who will take returns, buy both and then return the one that provides the lesser improvement. Good luck!

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should go for the PDR10, and here's why.

If you buy from a Paradigm dealer, he will allow you to 'trade up' for up to a year. That way, in a year when your budget allows, you can move up to the PW2200 for another 400 - 500 bucks. Can't go wrong here.

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and btw,

I did this. I thought the PDR10 was a pretty good, musical sub. Not the deepest of subs, not in the same league as the PW2200, but it's a damn GOOD sub for $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks