What's new

Sub Cable (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Is that what you call it, the cable that goes form the reciever into your sub?

Also, what's a good brand to upgrade to, or go all out. I have around $70USD, to spend on one.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I just use a regular RCA cable but, then again, I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to cables. Many people use Monster cables for theirs.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Able: Coax cable is defined by the upper-frequency limit it can handle. Since subwoofer frequencies are from about 20-120 hz, nearly any cable will work fine.

You can even go down and buy some RG6 or RG59 CATV coax and slap some RCA plugs on the end.

Now if this is true about the coax, how come so many people claim to hear a difference with different cables? My personal theory is it's the RCA plug. Sub frequencies seem to sound better if the plug on the cable is very tight.

Although I'm not a fan of the Monster Cable marketing machine, their cables do have a reputation of having the "Turbine Grip of Death" plugs.

Hope this helps.

David X

Stunt Coordinator
As a follow up .. I just got done reorganizing my cable/wire box and found a really long monster composite video cable, which seems to have nice gold plated, grip of death rca connectors on it. Will this work nicely as a sub cable?

Thanks,

David

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
yep that cable would work fine - a composite video cable has WAY more bandwidth than an audio cable. i recently went through this dilema and ended up with an acoustic research 25ft sub cable from best buy for $20. it seems to be doing the job great. was actually looking for a video cable, hoping it would be cheaper, but couldn't find anything long enough.

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Mike.

I thought so, and I should have read more posts before I asked this silly question.

-David

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Hey Alan,
Relax, that was about a week ago before we group scolded Abel. ;) Let's let it go.
Dan Hine

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
I've used a couple different sub cables and the most important thing to me is build quality. My sub cables need to be a minimum of 8 meters and because they venture outside of the normal HT cable mess they take a little more wear and tear. In the past I've used monster cable but because I moved my receiver I had to recently purchase a longer cable and I went with a solid strand cable for the heck of it.
-Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks