What's new

Stupid A/V input question (1 Viewer)

Michel-D

Auditioning
I'm sure this will be a simple question for a lot of you.

On a AV receiver, can we hook up more than 1 video source on the same input label? For example, I connect a LD player on the composite video input labeled "DVD" and I connect a cable box via S-Video on the S-Video input also labeled "DVD".

Will this work? Because if it does it makes a difference on the number of A/V sources you can hook up at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not such a simple question. With many receivers you cannot do this because they typically default to the higher connection type and disable the others. That may or may not be the case with your particular receiver.

Michel-D

Auditioning
I am currently shopping for receivers now so that's why I am asking.

So I must count each different input label to really know how many inputs I really can use?

Does the receiver disable the inputs regardless of the source status (on / off)?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael,

Yes, some do.

However, note that you don't have to route the video part through your receiver at all. Video can go straight to your TV. Many people prefer this even, because the signal is "disturbed" less.

Of course it may mean some "intelligent" switching on your side when using different sources, but sometimes it's in fact easier.

Cees

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the A/V receiver does not upconvert the composite to component and cross feed the result to its component outputs then usually you can hook up multiple video sources to the same input bank. You would then select in your case Video 1 composite on the TV to use the LD player and Video 2 S-video on the TV to use the DVD player.

Except for the above example things do not work because there is only one set of audio input jacks in that input bank behind the A/V receiver. A better example where it would work is for an S-VHS VCR where S-video is always better for playing tapes but if the TV comb filter is better than the VCR comb filter you also want to run both composite from that VCR to the A/V receiver and to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks