What's new

DVD Recording Questions(May Be Stupid) (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
OK...

If I am copying VHS tapes to a DVD recorder, and the recorder is connected via a set of A/V inputs to the TV, will the material being recorded show up on the screen, provided the TV is set to that input? Or is the recording process blind?

Thanks...

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Also- do the same standards apply for a recorder as a player- turn off all noise reduction, video enhancement, etc? Thanks

James Edward

Supporting Actor

I guess what I mean is this: the general consensus here at the HTF seems to be to turn off all 'noise reduction', 'video enhancement' selections when setting up a DVD player or TV, such as 'block noise reduction', 'mosquito noise reduction', SVM, and the various 'cinema' modes available via the unit's menus. This usually results in the best picture.

Does the same logic apply when recording with the DVD format? Thanks...
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm setting a Panasonic 50 recorder up at someone's house and will not be able to tweak and experiment for long...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'll have to defer to others, since I don't transfer videotapes to DVD-R. But if I did, my inclination would be to leave all such "enhancements" switched off.

M.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Those affect how the disc plays. (SVM is a function of the TV.) However, there are some functions that a DVD recorder might have like Time Base Correction and Noise Reduction, and if there was some option to turn them off during recording from tape (or anything on the video inputs), I probably wouldn't, especially the TBC.

Of course, try it both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks