What's new

mark-edk

Second Unit
Tubi has a very strange artifact on many (most?) of their streaming shows. The volume is low and then gradually ramps up to normal level in about 30-sec to a minute. Then at the end the opposite happens: the audio level starts to fade down as the video nears its end. I don't think it happens to *every* video but I've seen it on so many that it suggest it's being done deliberately. Why? I can't think of a single good reason.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Atmos has returned to D+ on FireTV devices.
Even those that couldn’t do Atmos previously. For example, the FireStick 4K connected to my non-HDR 4K LG TV for the longest time could only do DD+ 5.1 on programs that had Atmos track on D+. When Atmos stopped working on all devices, FireSticks also lost all Dolby audio support on D+, reverting to PCM stereo. Now I am getting D+ in Atmos on my non-HDR 4K LG display, but video is still limited to HD.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know why I can use AirPlay to watch Amazon Prime movies and tv shows on my Vizio TV but the FreeVee movies/shows can't be "cast" via AirPlay? I understand encouraging users to use Amazon products (like Fire) but to allow only a portion of content (which I technically pay for through Amazon Prime) is pretty ridiculous!
IMG_2814.PNG

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Does anyone know why I can use AirPlay to watch Amazon Prime movies and tv shows on my Vizio TV but the FreeVee movies/shows can't be "cast" via AirPlay? I understand encouraging users to use Amazon products (like Fire) but to allow only a portion of content (which I technically pay for through Amazon Prime) is pretty ridiculous! View attachment 162585
I'm pretty sure it has to do with licensing deals that Amazon made with content providers on the FreeVee service, in much the same way that Netflix has stated that not all of their content will be available on their ad-supported tier due to licensing issues. I doubt that it has to do with Amazon wanting you to purchase a FireStick just to watch programming on FreeVee, since there are FreeVee apps available for Roku, Google TV, and Apple TV devices in addition to FireTV.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Does anyone know why I can use AirPlay to watch Amazon Prime movies and tv shows on my Vizio TV but the FreeVee movies/shows can't be "cast" via AirPlay? I understand encouraging users to use Amazon products (like Fire) but to allow only a portion of content (which I technically pay for through Amazon Prime) is pretty ridiculous! View attachment 162585

I'm pretty sure it has to do with licensing deals that Amazon made with content providers on the FreeVee service, in much the same way that Netflix has stated that not all of their content will be available on their ad-supported tier due to licensing issues. I doubt that it has to do with Amazon wanting you to purchase a FireStick just to watch programming on FreeVee, since there are FreeVee apps available for Roku, Google TV, and Apple TV devices in addition to FireTV.

Yeah, besides, you didn't actually pay Amazon anything for FreeVee near as I can tell. It's just an ad-supported, "free" streaming service that just happens to go thru Amazon (whether Amazon owns FreeVee or not). I don't (normally) pay Amazon for services, ie. I don't normally do Amazon Prime, and I can see FreeVee stuff just fine (probably pretty much exactly as you can) anyway.

_Man_

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They probably can’t get the ads to play through AirPlay either. Some services, which I won’t mention as I don’t want to tip them off and have “fixed”, won’t play them and you get to watch everything commercial-free. Peacock has then worked in though so they play seamlessly (and at least then you don’t get that annoying countdown timer on them) and somehow has it so if you try to fast-forward past then, it’ll kick you back and make you let it play through. I’m guessing Amazon hasn’t figured that out and just disabled it, Vudu has done the same for their free with ads movies. Amazon didn’t pass 5.1 through Airplay when I tried it anyways, much better to use Kodi which delivers full quality with no annoyances from Amazon’s interface such as the rating overlayed at the beginning.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yesterday I bought The Big Country (1958) from VUDU for $7.99. I thought it would be nice to have a Digital copy at a nice price. It was in Full screen ! :huh: Not in Widescreen 2.35:1 like the KL Bluray. I got a Refund. Why don't they have these movies in the correct aspect ratio ? :confused: Also ...Jason and the Argonauts Digital is a Old version with Dirt and specks all over it. :oops: Nothing like the Sony Bluray. Got that Refunded from itunes weeks ago. These Digital companies need to update their movies with the Best versions available.
It is a combination of the studios and the retailers, and each blame the other for these issues, unfortunately, leaving us consumers in the middle.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I listened to the Blank Check podcast today on 2001 A Spce Oddysey and thought I might take a look at my digital copy.

Problem is I don’t have a digital copy.

I swear I bought it a few years ago after that new version came out and it was upgraded to 4K on iTunes.
I can’t find any evidence that I bought it.
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me because I do know I watched it in 4K.

Did hbo ever have it on their app in 4K?

I’m very confused because I’m abkut 98% sure I had it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I listened to the Blank Check podcast today on 2001 A Spce Oddysey and thought I might take a look at my digital copy.

Problem is I don’t have a digital copy.

I swear I bought it a few years ago after that new version came out and it was upgraded to 4K on iTunes.
I can’t find any evidence that I bought it.
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me because I do know I watched it in 4K.

Did hbo ever have it on their app in 4K?

I’m very confused because I’m abkut 98% sure I had it.
I don’t think it’s a streaming frustration with the digital format/system, but more of a cognitive issue that many in our age group is experiencing from time in time.:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Could be but I’m so sure I bought it.

My Cheapchart has it as purchased too.

D9EF6FAD-0D32-4246-B96A-B4F21C412E52.jpeg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just checked on CC before posting that.
Isn’t really strong evidence as that can be toggled on and off on any movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I only stopped doing that in the last 12 ish months.

Checked there and I have the 4K disc listed in my wish list.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The motivation for this particular thread doesn't address your issue. Also, the HD digital for 2001, upgraded more than four years ago.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just checked on CC before posting that.
Isn’t really strong evidence as that can be toggled on and off on any movie.

Have you checked your Movies Anywhere account? IF you bought it, it should show up there along w/ retailer and date of purchase (even though it'd still be in HD, if bought before 4K upgrade).

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
WSJ had an interesting editorial by Jason Kliar (former CEO of WarnerMedia, and the founding CEO of Hulu) on the recent history of prospective near future of the streaming industry. I fear this is paywalled for many people. The link below is to the Apple News version, if you have that service. Or look it up in your WSJ sub if you have that. (This thread is the closest we’ve got to a general “what’s happening with streaming” topic :) )

There will be multiple business casualties in the paid streaming wars and a few business victors. Digital markets for industries that have high fixed costs and relatively low variable costs have tended toward a few, unusually large winners, and I believe such will be the case in entertainment. In this scenario, no more than three global entertainment companies are likely to attain the streaming-service scale required—300 million global subscriptions at an average of $15 per month—to generate attractive cash flows. (Amazon and Apple, both purveyors of streaming, will be in addition and measured differently.)

“Jason Kilar on the Chaotic Streaming Wars—and How This Hollywood Story May End”

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Warner brothers please use the same transfers digital online as from your discs on Warner archive and standard discs.

Please be consistent with using the best transfers on digital as on disc releases.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner brothers please use the same transfers digital online as from your discs on Warner archive and standard discs.

Please be consistent with using the best transfers on digital as on disc releases.
That is up to the retailer to request from the studio (and pay additional money for).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks