What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I'm so sick of the same old crap with redeeming these digital codes in which everything is not correct. Read this post to see my frustrations.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I'm so sick of the same old crap with redeeming these digital codes in which everything is not correct. Read this post to see my frustrations.
I'm tired of buying stuff from a B+M store here in Canada and it comes with a digital code that is not available in my territory (read: it comes with a US code rather than a Canadian one).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm tired of buying stuff from a B+M store here in Canada and it comes with a digital code that is not available in my territory (read: it comes with a US code rather than a Canadian one).
I've had the exact opposite happen with some review copies sent to me by studios, where the code will not redeem because it is a Canadian code. Luckily, those have been resolved rather easily by contacting the studio's home entertainment customer service department.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is there some particular reason(s) why there's such a diff between streaming in USA and Canada?

Seems odd that's so... other than it being merely some largely bureaucratic/political (and probably stupid) issues(s). Does Canada legally require digital copies/platforms to always provide French language tracks (or subtitles) or something like that, which almost none of the digitals (other than originally French language titles) on USA platforms provide? OR maybe it's something to do w/ their MPAA-equiv requirement (although I'm guessing that's probably less likely than a French language provision requirement)?

I suppose many/most(?) USA disc releases might not technically/officially/legally be allowed in Canada either if that's the case, but that may be much harder to enforce than w/ streaming -- and even w/ streaming, people can try to work around that via VPN proxies as well...

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Canada at-large doesn't care about French. It seems to mostly be a provincial thing in Quebec.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Is there some particular reason(s) why there's such a diff between streaming in USA and Canada?

Seems odd that's so... other than it being merely some largely bureaucratic/political (and probably stupid) issues(s). Does Canada legally require digital copies/platforms to always provide French language tracks (or subtitles) or something like that, which almost none of the digitals (other than originally French language titles) on USA platforms provide? OR maybe it's something to do w/ their MPAA-equiv requirement (although I'm guessing that's probably less likely than a French language provision requirement)?

I suppose many/most(?) USA disc releases might not technically/officially/legally be allowed in Canada either if that's the case, but that may be much harder to enforce than w/ streaming -- and even w/ streaming, people can try to work around that via VPN proxies as well...
As best I can tell, the big difference is Movies Anywhere (or whatever it's called this week) in the US and the fact that there's nothing like that up here and we have to redeem via Google Play, iTunes, or Cineplex. Not all of them. Even if the film is available on ALL of those platforms, the digital redemption isn't always.

I suspect that it's something to do with licensing, but if Movies Anywhere was up here, I think that it would be significantly easier to deal with.

In terms of the French Language thing, half the digital things I've redeemed are English only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks