What's new

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok well that doesn’t make sense to hamper your app that way.
I don’t have access to my X1 box because we aren’t home for a couple months.
I’m Thinking that the movies shouldn’t be tagged as having DV on those apps that can’t play it that way.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I’m Thinking that the movies shouldn’t be tagged as having DV on those apps that can’t play it that way.
Prime Video is the same way. I see the DV logo on programs regardless of device on my non-HDR 4K display in my living room.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah Prime Video is pretty Willy nilly with those tags.
Especially tagging movies as UHD when they aren’t.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would think they (as in all streaming platforms/apps) should probably show the logo, but have it grayed out something like that to indicate they have it, but for whatever reasons, not currently supported/accessible via your device.

_Man_

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It seems Disney+ is having a problem this morning on Apple TV devices. Many people reporting the same issue. It won’t recognize your login.

Working fine on other devices.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way the MA app won't play any 4K movies with any HDR on the 3rd generation 4KATV units. It keeps showing "This device does not support 4K playback" message. No such issues or message on 2nd generation units. The same with the MA app on Roku units which don't have any such issues either.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Buy a disc, pop it in, play it whenever and where ever you want. Kind'a renders all this streaming hoopla irrelevant, doesn't it?
Not really, I had a couple of 4K discs this week that wouldn't play and I had to clean them off. There is also the Poltergeist 4K disc debacle that many of us had to deal with. Each home video format has its own issues from time to time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Disney/Apple TV problem appears to be resolved.

I got around it initially by simply putting the Disney app on the smart TV, bypassing A-TV. (Will that app count against my allowed devices? Even if I am not using it?)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Not really, I had a couple of 4K discs this week that wouldn't play and I had to clean them off. There is also the Poltergeist 4K disc debacle that many of us had to deal with. Each home video format has its own issues from time to time.
I was only kidding, Robert. Yes, every format has its issues. While we're on the subject, I have a chronic issue with 4K playing in my Sony which is odd, given that Sony was one of the pioneers in the industry. But 4K freeze up constantly, especially discs from Universal. No issues with my Panasonic UB9000, though. Happy to have both.

PS - was decidedly NOT crapping on those who only stream. Geez-us. Have a sense of proportion and humor!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
By the way the MA app won't play any 4K movies with any HDR on the 3rd generation 4KATV units. It keeps showing "This device does not support 4K playback" message. No such issues or message on 2nd generation units. The same with the MA app on Roku units which don't have any such issues either.
Movies Anywhere support's response:

Our team is working on an update for this device, and in the meantime if using this device you can use your connected retailer accounts to watch in 4K.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I was only kidding, Robert. Yes, every format has its issues. While we're on the subject, I have a chronic issue with 4K playing in my Sony which is odd, given that Sony was one of the pioneers in the industry. But 4K freeze up constantly, especially discs from Universal. No issues with my Panasonic UB9000, though. Happy to have both.

PS - was decidedly NOT crapping on those who only stream. Geez-us. Have a sense of proportion and humor!

Well, you have to understand that kind of thread-crapping-like post/comment do happen quite often, and you didn't give any actual indication you were merely kidding. Nobody else can read your mind afterall, just see what you actually posted (in a dedicated thread entitled "Streaming Frustations, Part 2"). :P

Anyhoo, Sony pretty well sucks at disc player issues (though ok, not nearly as badly as Samsung of course :P ) since the early days of DVD, except maybe for their original flagship DVD player iteration or two, AFAIK. Nothing new there. Panasonic has usually been the best, except for clunky UI and/or remote, and most reliable amongst the mainstream big names, if not necessarily most durable perhaps...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It seems Disney+ is having a problem this morning on Apple TV devices. Many people reporting the same issue. It won’t recognize your login.

Working fine on other devices.

Yeah, I noticed the problem (for my 2nd gen ATV4K) since Sunday night. Haven't checked again since then. Hope that's all fixed...

_Man_

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Well, you have to understand that kind of thread-crapping-like post/comment do happen quite often, and you didn't give any actual indication you were merely kidding. Nobody else can read your mind afterall, just see what you actually posted (in a dedicated thread entitled "Streaming Frustations, Part 2"). :P

Anyhoo, Sony pretty well sucks at disc player issues (though ok, not nearly as badly as Samsung of course :P ) since the early days of DVD, except maybe for their original flagship DVD player iteration or two, AFAIK. Nothing new there. Panasonic has usually been the best, except for clunky UI and/or remote, and most reliable amongst the mainstream big names, if not necessarily most durable perhaps...

_Man_
Your points are well taken within a limited context. And what follows is not meant as an attack on them, on you, or on the larger group reading this post - personal or otherwise. Just prefacing what follows because it seems everything needs a 'disclaimer' of some sort these days.

But you know, we've all reached a pretty sad state (and not just on this forum) when dissenting opinions and quips, designed to introduce nothing more than innocuous levity to a situation are being misconstrued as 'thread crapping'. I shouldn't have to offer clarity to a benign statement in order to crystalize it in the minds of the readership here.

But again, we've sort'a skewed toward a society in general where anyone who doesn't swim with the stream (no pun intended) is considered not just an outsider, but somehow an invading presence that must be squashed with all speed in order not to contaminate the rest.

That's censorship.

Pure and simple.

You can try and ply the lipstick to the pig as much as you want. You can offer 'dislikes' too. It's a free country...still, but only for some, it seems.

I didn't come on board to 'thread crap' on those who prefer streaming to disc content. I merely pointed out some of the virtues of disc content for which the suffrage some are experience through streaming does not apply. It was a point. Not a protest. It was a joke. Not a way to reference those who stream as idiots.

But censoring and censuring someone for just comes on board with a comment to make everyone merely, or even remotely consider another opinion differing from their own, and, without being insulting, condescending or critical in any way, or directly attacking anyone in particular or the group in general, is still considered a threat to the safety and sanity of the group.

How sad. And how tragic. Not just for free speech. But for free thinking besides. Just thoughts, folks. Yours differ from my own. That's a good thing...I think.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Your points are well taken within a limited context. And what follows is not meant as an attack on them, on you, or on the larger group reading this post - personal or otherwise. Just prefacing what follows because it seems everything needs a 'disclaimer' of some sort these days.

But you know, we've all reached a pretty sad state (and not just on this forum) when dissenting opinions and quips, designed to introduce nothing more than innocuous levity to a situation are being misconstrued as 'thread crapping'. I shouldn't have to offer clarity to a benign statement in order to crystalize it in the minds of the readership here.

But again, we've sort'a skewed toward a society in general where anyone who doesn't swim with the stream (no pun intended) is considered not just an outsider, but somehow an invading presence that must be squashed with all speed in order not to contaminate the rest.

That's censorship.

Pure and simple.

You can try and ply the lipstick to the pig as much as you want. You can offer 'dislikes' too. It's a free country...still, but only for some, it seems.

I didn't come on board to 'thread crap' on those who prefer streaming to disc content. I merely pointed out some of the virtues of disc content for which the suffrage some are experience through streaming does not apply. It was a point. Not a protest. It was a joke. Not a way to reference those who stream as idiots.

But censoring and censuring someone for just comes on board with a comment to make everyone merely, or even remotely consider another opinion differing from their own, and, without being insulting, condescending or critical in any way, or directly attacking anyone in particular or the group in general, is still considered a threat to the safety and sanity of the group.

How sad. And how tragic. Not just for free speech. But for free thinking besides. Just thoughts, folks. Yours differ from my own. That's a good thing...I think.
Speaking for myself (and I'm someone who streams maybe 5% of what I watch), it's just boring to see the "This doesn't happen to me because I have discs" posts. I get the feeling that others think the same way which is why you got the response that you got.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That's censorship.

Pure and simple.

Dude, you're going a bit far afield w/ this, LOL.

First, this is not censorship. Censorship would be if a mod actually threatened to block you from this thread or deleted your comments or some such, not other posters responding as they did.

Like you pointed out about what you were doing, others are just commenting in response as they saw it, nothing more. Nobody actually threatened to censor (nor censure) you. And all the various commenters have long been disc collectors (and most still are) AFAIK, not streaming-only folks, so you're barking up the wrong tree suggesting they might somehow not know (enough) "the virtues of disc content" vs streaming.

I, personally, merely pointed out that others may legitimately view your comment as thread-crapping in light of the overall context (and offered brief explanation of that). Fine if you still don't see that I suppose, but you're probably gonna run into more such opposing views/comments (and even possibly eventually get warned by a mod at some point) if you keep at it this way.

And I'm not unsympathetic w/ your overall point at all... Just realize though, just as you may wish others to be (more) sympathetic about your point, you should probably be more sympathetic toward theirs too...

Anyhoo, that's all I'll say on this...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amaris
Recent bookmarks