Strange Subwoofer Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek Duncan, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I havn't had DD 5.1 for very long, upgraded from pro-logic. I have a Sony 550 DVD player with a DD decoder built in. And have started to notice on quite scenes, that the subwoofer makes little sounds, kind of like little tremmors, I can't figure out what to do, it is very distracting. It's not in the settings. Does anyone know what could be causing this.
    Derek

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Some more info on your gear would be helpful.
    What kind of sub? What kind of receiver? Where is your sub plugged into, and have you calibrated your speakers with an SPL meter?
    Jer

3. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

I have a poor setup. I can't afford anything much now. My subwoofer is an aiwah. My reciever is a Sony. It is plugged up to my reciever with a black jack, like an rca cable. Hope this helps.
    Derek

4. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

I have an aiwa subwoofer and the a sony dvd player with the built in DD decoder. I had the same problem at one time. I fixed the wire to the subwoofer and did not have it anymore. Take the wire out and hook it back in and see if their is still a problem.

5. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

My subwoofer makes those sounds every so often when i have my cell phone near it, if i turn off my cell phone it goes away...

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

That would be a good idea. Check your interconnect to make sure it's good. If you have "an old" RCA cables laying around, that should work well. Plug in the red or white plug to the receiver and the same color to the sub. See if that'll fix it.
    How long have you had your sub? Is it a recent problem or has it been there all along. Does it seem to be getting worse?
    Jeremy

7. Geoff MK

Geoff MK Extra

Maybe you should try using a ground cheater plug. I used it to cure my subwoofer hum problem.
    Geoff